?06 Wagon w/ Cobb rear sway only?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ?06 Wagon w/ Cobb rear sway only? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, Did some searches on this.... There are some related threads but none that spoke directly to my questions. ...

?06 Wagon w/ Cobb rear sway only?

Hey Guys,
    Did some searches on this.... There are some related threads but none that spoke directly to my questions.

I am exploring how to reduce the understeer in my 06 Wagon. I have played with the tire pressures and am now running 41 psi in front and 35 psi in the rear. That did help significantly, but, it did not get the car as close to neutral handling as I'd like. The car is just a rowdy grocery getter and I'm not interested in doing to much to it (e.g. total suspension redo). But, it appears that putting a little stiffer rear sway bar might be what I'm looking for. I don't want it to oversteer as other family members drive the car on occassion and understeer is safer for the less ethusiastic driver.

So, my questions are....

"Is anyone running a stock suspension with Cobb rear sway bar on an 06 wagon?"

and, if so,

"How'd it work out?"

"And, what do you guys think about doing with a rear sway bar and not doing the front?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am running stock shocks/springs with Cobb front and rear sway bars with their adjustable mounts and poltec end links front and rear. I was really impressed with the sway bars so far. As far as daily driving its much more enjoyable because of less body roll and the turn in is much crisper. The first time driving the car with just the rear sway bar set the the middle setting I remember saying, "man the car actually goes where I want it". After installing the front bar I think the steering seemed more responsive and also helped reduce understeer. I'm not sure what tires you are using but I have Hankook RS2 225 width tires and they are relativly sticky so I am comfortable running the rear sway bar at full stiff for daily driving, which is a setting cobb only recomends for track only and R compound tires, but I haven't noticed any excessive oversteer and I would say for the stock springs and shocks the car is very well balanced. I would describe the handeling as slight understeer while powering through sharp turns but other wise I would say neutral with very slight oversteer during power off or sweeping power on turns. I think with less rubber or just the rear sway bar and not a front sway bar you would deffinitly have more oversteer. I like the setup, and was very pleased with the quality and engineering of all the components. Next for the suspension will be coilovers as the stock suspension really starts to get exposed as being too soft in hard cornering. Enjoy the sways, no matter where you get them from you will be pleased with the new improved handeling of the car. Also its an install you can easily do in your garage/driveway with some metric hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by servanium
    I am running stock shocks/springs with Cobb front and rear sway bars with their adjustable mounts and poltec end links front and rear. I was really impressed with the sway bars so far. As far as daily driving its much more enjoyable because of less body roll and the turn in is much crisper. The first time driving the car with just the rear sway bar set the the middle setting I remember saying, "man the car actually goes where I want it". After installing the front bar I think the steering seemed more responsive and also helped reduce understeer. I'm not sure what tires you are using but I have Hankook RS2 225 width tires and they are relativly sticky so I am comfortable running the rear sway bar at full stiff for daily driving, which is a setting cobb only recomends for track only and R compound tires, but I haven't noticed any excessive oversteer and I would say for the stock springs and shocks the car is very well balanced. I would describe the handeling as slight understeer while powering through sharp turns but other wise I would say neutral with very slight oversteer during power off or sweeping power on turns. I think with less rubber or just the rear sway bar and not a front sway bar you would deffinitly have more oversteer. I like the setup, and was very pleased with the quality and engineering of all the components. Next for the suspension will be coilovers as the stock suspension really starts to get exposed as being too soft in hard cornering. Enjoy the sways, no matter where you get them from you will be pleased with the new improved handeling of the car. Also its an install you can easily do in your garage/driveway with some metric hand tools.
    Cool. Can I confirm a little info.
    You are in a Wagon? What year?
    And, do I understand you to say in your response that you installed the rear sway bar and drove it before you installed the front? Is that correct?

I'm running OEM tires. I'll drive them 'til they wear out and then do a set of these... http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product....ed=Y&Width=215

I'm really tempted just to do the rear. If it actually makes it into the oversteer territory, I can play with tire pressures and then, if I need, do a front sway bar.

I have an 02 Wagon. I'm not sure if the 06 has a larger rear sway or not, but I'm pretty sure the 02 only had a 17mm so the 25mm cobb, albeit tubular, is a major improvment in stiffness. One route to go is to get a stock sedan rear sway bar, which I believe is 20mm, That might give you a more balanced ride that you are looking for.

When I said I drove with the rear sway before installing the front, I bought both the bars at the same time I just wanted to see what difference each made so I wanted to drive it with just the rear sway bar, to see how much of a difference that made and it was significant, however If you have the extra $150 to get the front sway bar as well, you would be foolish not to. Trust me you won't be sorry.

Also I forgot you have a 06, so I'm not sure what size tires were stock on your car, but my stock tires were the RE92s in 205/55 16 trim. So no exactly a high performance tire. If I was still running those tires I would say the rear would step out quite easily.

A great thread to check out is BigSky's Project Wagon thread if you haven't already. You will learn a lot.

Enjoy.

Nice.
    Thanks for the clarifications.

I'll be sure to chase down BigSky's Project.

I would definitely recommend a 20mm rear bar from an '02 Sedan. You can purchase one new if you can't find one new. It gives the car a nice balanced feel for street use.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    I would definitely recommend a 20mm rear bar from an '02 Sedan. You can purchase one new if you can't find one new. It gives the car a nice balanced feel for street use.

+1
    a 20mm bar from an 02 sadan seems ideal for your needs
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Rear Sway

I have an 02 wagon and have been running the Sedan rear sway for about a year. I think it balances the car out very nice. I do have after market wheels and all season tires 17/225/35. The only complaint is in the snow when you have the car heavily loaded it wants to oversteer.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.