Winter Tires
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Got '06 STi couple weeks ago and kinda shopping ahead for winter tires. Because stock 070 doesn't look like it'll ...

Winter Tires

Got '06 STi couple weeks ago and kinda shopping ahead for winter tires. Because stock 070 doesn't look like it'll have any grip in snow. And I live in Michigan with very long winter so... few questions.

1. Is it better to get dedicated winter tire or all season tire?
    2. If I get dedicated winter tire, do local shops (Discount Tires, Firestone, Bell Tires, etc...) switch them back to summer tire for fee? If so, how much do they usually charge?
    3. What are some good tires for winter? At tirerack.com, Dunlop is only brand that comes up as winter tires. All others seems to be all season.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I want to know this too. (Which tires are good winter Tires)

Oh, and a cool little thing i do to save time/money.

I have my stocker wheels, and my cool rims.

Winter tires on the stockers, and Racing/Performance tires on the rims.

Switching them out at your house takes about half an hour. Easy way around making that trip to the local tire store every 6 months.
    <| 04 Java Black Pearl WRX |>
    |<>| Perrin Dual Tip Catback Exhaust
    |<>| Perrin Catted Downpipe |<>| Perrin Up-pipe
    |<>| K&N Short Ram Intake |<>| Cobb AP Stg 2
    |<>| 17'' ADR Design Wheels, Ventus HR II Tires, Blizzaks on stock rims for snow |<>|

I have had really good luck with Bridgestone Blizzack LM-22's and Revo-1's

I rode the LM-22's last season and they have been very grippy in the white stuff.

I have my 17" prodrives for my summer tires and 16" Rota slipstreams w/ blizzacks for the winter.

To switch rims takes a breaker bar, a 19mm nut, a torque wrench and about 30 min.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't imagine people who live in snowy states even considering not using proper winter tyres. Yes, any winter tyre is better than a half @ssed ''good performing'' all season tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by schischwein
    I can't imagine people who live in snowy states even considering not using proper winter tyres. Yes, any winter tyre is better than a half @ssed ''good performing'' all season tyre.
    This ain't no **** kids...

The Dunlop Wintersport M3 are nice. It is a decent snow tire with reasonable performance. Probably handle better than the RE92. If you get much snow and ice on a regular basis I would get something else.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

zum
    All seasons just didn't cut it. Picked up some Blizzak REVO 1s last year and love them. They are amazing in the snow and on ice. I don't think I'll ever go through another MT winter without dedicated snow tires.

Heard good things about the Nokians too. I think BigSky has some. Maybe I'll let him test my car with Blizzaks sometime this winter so he can compare the two.
    04 Aspen White WRX Sedan

i did the hankook, they have a performance winter only tire and they were very reasonably $$
    97 Ninja 600r sold
    99 integra gsr sold
    02 pathfinder sold
    01 YamFZR 600 sold
    04 WRX Sold
    2011 WRX DGM
    Good judgement is based upon experience. Experience is based upon BAD JUDGEMENT!!!

How much are set of cheap stocker wheels? I got a 3 year lease so obviously, I wont be needing winter tires for more than 3 winters unless I decide to pay the residual at the end of the lease.

I'd like to know where I can get some cheap wheels and how much shops charge in switching tires so I know which makes more sense for me.

Discout Tire charges about $40 to change and balance
    97 Ninja 600r sold
    99 integra gsr sold
    02 pathfinder sold
    01 YamFZR 600 sold
    04 WRX Sold
    2011 WRX DGM
    Good judgement is based upon experience. Experience is based upon BAD JUDGEMENT!!!

If you buy them at Costco they'll swap the rubbers on the rims for free for life. I've got Artic Alpins and like them a lot.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah if you live w/ where there is winter- you need winter tires. If you don't you certainly can get by w/ all seasons.

I've had very good luck w/ my Nokians, unfortunatley they don't make the NRW anymore- it's a H rated tire- pretty high for a winter tire. I've never seen tires wear like these have- I've got four full winter season on them and amazingly enough tread to do another Our "winter" season is roughly November through April- so I'm on winter tires half the year. That's the reason I elect the higher perfromance end of winter tires- there is a lot of "winter" where it isn't winter.

The NRW has been replaced by the WR- this is even a higher end performance winter tire- it's V rated When my NRW's finally give up the ghost- WR's will be there replacement.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by section9
    If you buy them at Costco they'll swap the rubbers on the rims for free for life. I've got Artic Alpins and like them a lot.
    Really!! Good info, thanks!

I run Blizzak WS-50's on stock rims in the winter. Great traction, not too loud on the highway, and don't look half bad.

Not to try and make waves here, but unless your looking to drive like a maniac in the snow and ice the regular stock tires are fine. The ones that come on the WRX I'm talking about. Went through 2 winters w/ them and I was fine...plus I live in upstate NY. If you want performance driving .. get the Blizzaks.
    It's all about rally racing, nothing more.
    On second thought maybe its all about Rally Racing and Auto-X

'06 Steel Gray WRX (Stock)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TBomb
    Not to try and make waves here, but unless your looking to drive like a maniac in the snow and ice the regular stock tires are fine. The ones that come on the WRX I'm talking about. Went through 2 winters w/ them and I was fine...plus I live in upstate NY. If you want performance driving .. get the Blizzaks.
    He owns a STi. He will not be fine with them in cold/wet conditions much less snow.

Get blizzak LM-25's FTW!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast