Attn all wagon owners!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Attn all wagon owners! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As you know there are very limited choices for wagon specific springs. Sedan springs certainly "fit", but they usually result ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Attn all wagon owners!

As you know there are very limited choices for wagon specific springs. Sedan springs certainly "fit", but they usually result in a "saggy butt" on the wagon. If you use camber plates up front- this exasberates it even more (as camber plates will raise the front ride height).

There is a good possiblity of getting a wagon specific spring built for us. I'm looking for input on what guys are looking for. We have one good choice now- the STi wagon pink springs- rates are 223/192- lowering ~ 10mm. No sense replicating that choice IMO.

If you have ideas on spring rates, amount of lowering or general ideas what your looking for a spring to do- please post them up.

EDIT 1/11/07 email Myles direct if your interested racecompengineer@aol.com

I think we've done a good job of narrrowing it down to

a 20mm- ish drop w/ firmer rates- 270ish front/240ish rear

TIA

Mike
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 01-11-2007 at 07:59 PM.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm out of the wagon business, but for the 5 years I owned it, I was always looking for a good stock-height spring that's a bit more sporty. Maybe something with the spring rate of the STi springs, but no drop?

I'm sure wagon owners end up hauling stuff in their wagons from time to time, and hauling stuff in a lowered wagon just plain sucks.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I'd like to see some wagon-specific Prodrives...However, current Prodrive springs (intended for sedans) don't have the saggy-butt effect. But, bumped up rear spring rates couldn't hurt ...Oh, and some wagon-specific KYB AGX struts, too (sorry BigSky, just thought I'd sneak that in there).

Pencil me in for keeping stock height but moving up in rate. Also make the f-r spring ratio much closer to equal to make the car less understeery.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good input

the stock back hieght seems fine, what aboot just putting springs on the front? or is this somehow bad for the car

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    the stock back hieght seems fine, what aboot just putting springs on the front? or is this somehow bad for the car
    well you mixed and matched different springs, you could do it..
    you're thinkin exactly what i am..

lower in the front so the car is a little more equal, keep stock height in the rear, but stiffen both front and rear.
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

I Support ClubWRX
    Front springs wouldn't help a whole lot- the rear springs are very soft, bumping up the front would just dial in additional understeer. You want springs rates in the rear to start approaching (oe even equal) the fronts.

Here's another option I'll throw out. Something that lowers a little more than the STi wagon pinks - say 20mm vs 10mm, but w/ higher rates- say 245/225- these would be close to the "jdm" STi pinks only wagon specific.

We could also do a "stagger" - 10mm front/0 rear or 20mm front/10mm rear.

I think you might find there's a fair number of people who appriciate the stock ride height for it's ability to handle speed bumps and potholes easily. Not to mention it's ability to pull up to parking-barrier-log-thingies without scraping its nose, driving up over curbs to get into fields (think 4th of July picknics, etc.), or driving on gravel (or worse) roads. Losing even the half-inch to the pinks could make the difference between busting up the chin or even getting high-centered on a Forest Service road.

It seems to me that if one chooses the wagon, one must be a little more interested in practicality. I bet a large enough poll would show that there's a signifigant market segment that would like better performance while maintaining versitility.
    Last edited by williaty; 07-29-2006 at 04:00 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm listening

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    I'm out of the wagon business, but for the 5 years I owned it, I was always looking for a good stock-height spring that's a bit more sporty. Maybe something with the spring rate of the STi springs, but no drop?

I'm sure wagon owners end up hauling stuff in their wagons from time to time, and hauling stuff in a lowered wagon just plain sucks.
    +1
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

I went with the Eibachs way back when because they were about the only wagon specific choice at the time. I to would like to see something a tad bit stiffer and linear.. similar to the Prodrives I guess.. but wagon specific. I like the drop the Eibachs gave, but if it was only .75" drop that would be OK with me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Front springs wouldn't help a whole lot- the rear springs are very soft, bumping up the front would just dial in additional understeer. You want springs rates in the rear to start approaching (oe even equal) the fronts.

Here's another option I'll throw out. Something that lowers a little more than the STi wagon pinks - say 20mm vs 10mm, but w/ higher rates- say 245/225- these would be close to the "jdm" STi pinks only wagon specific.

We could also do a "stagger" - 10mm front/0 rear or 20mm front/10mm rear.
    I like this Idea. Slightly stiffer then the STI pinks with only 10mm front and 5mm back. but hopefully something that would work with the stock struts or GR-II something along this I would deff. buy!

when i got my wagon there was no way i felt like taking off the springs from my sedan and putting them on my wagon in one day. so i just did the sedan and the front og the wagon. i did it with s techs. and it dropped the front a lot. there was like one and a half fingers of wheel gap. and it didnt look at bad being staggard. the only thing that sucked was the headlights are angled down so you cant see for crap.
    a few weeks after i did that i lowered the back too. and it made the car look a lot lot better and it handled better aswell
    vf22 Stage IIII wagon of DOOM

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I'm seeing commonalities - they need to be stiffer than stock. I think everyone agree rates in the rear should approach front rates. Sounds like either no lowering or very modest lowering is prefered. Several would like to see a slight stagger if there is to be lowering ie 10mm in front only 5 mm in the rear.

Nobody wants 450/400 ft lb springs?

Keep 'em coming

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.