damn endlink bolt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on damn endlink bolt within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Went to the dragon today and halfway through the first run...tink tink...i see an endlink bolt bouncing in the rear ...

damn endlink bolt

Went to the dragon today and halfway through the first run...tink tink...i see an endlink bolt bouncing in the rear view mirror. Needless to say that pretty much ended my fun on the dragon runs today. hopefully i get it fixed Monday at work and they can do something to the bolts to keep them from working themselves out again.

I did take some pictures at the dragon since my day of taming the dragon was done with an endlink bolt committing suicide.

anyone else had this happen? I have perrin endlinks and sway bar...just FYI.

now I need to figure out how to get it fixed..pictures below...missing a spacer type piece.
    Last edited by GraysonSubaru; 07-03-2006 at 07:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    Went to the dragon today and halfway through the first run...tink tink...i see an endlink bolt bouncing in the rear view mirror. Needless to say that pretty much ended my fun on the dragon runs today. hopefully i get it fixed Monday at work and they can do something to the bolts to keep them from working themselves out again.

I did take some pictures at the dragon since my day of taming the dragon was done with an endlink bolt committing suicide.

anyone else had this happen? I have perrin endlinks and sway bar...just FYI.
    I have been quite harsh on my Poltec rear end link bolts through two different sway bars and many autox runs ... no such meltdowns here. How the frig did you hear and see such a tiny part bite the dust?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    I have been quite harsh on my Poltec rear end link bolts through two different sway bars and many autox runs ... no such meltdowns here. How the frig did you hear and see such a tiny part bite the dust?
    i was on the dragon (www.tailofthedragon.com) and heard it bounce underneath car as it came out, saw in bouncing on the road in the rearview and then got off the road ASAP to go back and find out what it was that came off so that I would try to figure out where it came from and how serious it was. No nut was found, but the mangled bolt was found. the sway bar and endlinks were the first place i looked.

i am thinking they may not have been quite as tight as needed. The dragon has a lot of road changes, unlike most autoX runs I have seen that seem to be on flat pavement. the road has constant elevation changes and the suspension works overtime on this road.

I Support ClubWRX
    i was on the dragon (www.tailofthedragon.com) and heard it bounce underneath car as it came out, saw in bouncing on the road in the rearview and then got off the road ASAP to go back and find out what it was that came off so that I would try to figure out where it came from and how serious it was. No nut was found, but the mangled bolt was found. the sway bar and endlinks were the first place i looked.

i am thinking they may not have been quite as tight as needed. The dragon has a lot of road changes, unlike most autoX runs I have seen that seem to be on flat pavement. the road has constant elevation changes and the suspension works overtime on this road.
    30 foot pounds of torque has served me well for well over a year. The Poltecs even came with two extra bolts. The nuts supplied by Poltec have nylon inserts to prevent them from loosening. So far they have worked very well.

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

blue thread lock them.

I had the same issue with my end links. I changed the bolt to a 3/8" grade 8 bolt and used a class C (stover) lock nut. The stover's are nice because they are not compromised by extreme heat or chemicals like ny-locks are.

Ran into problem

Ok all. brought it to work this morning to be fixed and found that I am also missing one of the spacers that goes between the endlink and end of the bolt. There is usually one on the outside and one on the inside of the endlink that look to fit into a small ball joint inside the endlink...one stayed in but the other one is MIA. Ideas on what to do? It is a perrin rear sway bar and endlinks just FYI. I will take some pictures here in a few minutes of it.

Here are a few pictures just taken of the sway bar and endlinks while on the rack....

ideas?
    Last edited by GraysonSubaru; 12-13-2006 at 10:07 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe several washers of a similar diameter of the spacers short trem - until you can get a replacement from Perrin.

I do not think the endlinks are supposed to be angled like the intact ride side pic you have posted. They should be nearly vertical. This may have been a factor in the bolt failing.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    Mods & Pics

It may not be angled when all of the bolts are intact. The pictures taken were with the left endlink totally unbolted along with the car on the rack (no tires touching the ground) so that may/may not be a factor in why they appear to be leaning.

I thought about just ording a new perrin endlink set -- comes with endlinks, bolts, etc. I am not sure where to get them just yet..i will have to order them online since I do not have anyone locally that has them.

I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.poltec.us/products/subaru...s/1a-df002.htm

A less expensive alternative. Many here have them.
    Mods & Pics

will they work just as good with my perrin endlinks and sway bar as the perrin bolts do? In looking on the perrin site, they are made to move inside the endlink http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...dlink_rear.htm

I Support ClubWRX
    When I switched for the 20mm FHI sway bay to the Hotckis I had to change the way the end links were mounted. I have had no problems.

Poltec end links with Hotchkis / Cobb rear sway bar
    Mods & Pics

will they work just as good with my perrin endlinks and sway bar as the perrin bolts do? In looking on the perrin site, they are made to move inside the endlink http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...dlink_rear.htm

Contact Perrin directly. They will send you a new piece.

I'd bet the bolts weren't tightened enough. Put your stocker back in until the replacement part arrives and no extra $ spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

yup you need the perrin specific spacers... i ran into the same problem and they were $20 or $25 shipped for a set of 4 of them i think...

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast