Why don't stock SPT's get more respect?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Why don't stock SPT's get more respect? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just put the stock Summer Performance Tires--Dunlop Sportmaxx--back on after a winter with Blizzaks, and boy what a change. ...

Why don't stock SPT's get more respect?

I just put the stock Summer Performance Tires--Dunlop Sportmaxx--back on after a winter with Blizzaks, and boy what a change. Really makes driving a lot more fun.

The ride is smoother, WAY quieter, and grippiness especially with lateral motion MUCH better. They perform particularly well on wet roads. I mean, I cannot get these things to slide without some real effort.

I have read some disparaging remarks about the Dunlops. Admittedly I don't have experience with some brands that are pricier, but I have driven Fuzion and Yokohama SPT's and have driven a ton of AWT's--Goodyear, Bridgestone, Goodrich--and none perform as well as the Dunlops.

Just wondering who has replaced them with a set that they like better? And why? I'm open-minded--would consider an upgrade after another 40K miles or so...
    Current ride: 2017 WRX Premium in Ice Silver Metallic

Former rides: 2012 Subaru WRX Premium in DGM; 2011 BMW X3; 2005 Honda CRV ;2003 BMW Z4; 2002 Acura CL; 2001 Subaru Outback; 2001 Honda Accord Coupe; 1986 Audi 80; 1986 Saab 900; 1977 Toyota Celica

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The dunlops are alright. When I priced them they were 50 bucks a tire more than the mpss and the pilot super sports were the better performing tire, in every measurable metric aside from maybe life. I've always been a continental tire fan, but I'm not paying their absurd prices when Michelin is killing it at a lower price point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    they're garbage. They have mediocre steering response and stiff sidewalls, but if you've ever driven on Nitto NT05's, Pilot Super Sports, or the old BFG KDW2's, you'd understand.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The expert reviews of the Dunlop and consumer reviews are quite decent. They get particularly high marks for grip in wet weather. In comparison with the Michelins, the PSS were slightly higher rated.

I'd certainly consider the Michelins when I need to replace them, especially as they are cheaper compared to the Dunlops, but I don't see a reason to change now.
    Current ride: 2017 WRX Premium in Ice Silver Metallic

Former rides: 2012 Subaru WRX Premium in DGM; 2011 BMW X3; 2005 Honda CRV ;2003 BMW Z4; 2002 Acura CL; 2001 Subaru Outback; 2001 Honda Accord Coupe; 1986 Audi 80; 1986 Saab 900; 1977 Toyota Celica

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    The expert reviews of the Dunlop and consumer reviews are quite decent. They get particularly high marks for grip in wet weather. In comparison with the Michelins, the PSS were slightly higher rated.

I'd certainly consider the Michelins when I need to replace them, especially as they are cheaper compared to the Dunlops, but I don't see a reason to change now.
    They're fine for a stock tire. Nothing "wrong" with them, there are just better options out there when it's replacement time.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.