Subaru WRX Forum banner

My TPMS Experience

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  notfound123 
#1 ·
I have a new 2017 WRX Limited and I have just installed my winter Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires and wheels that I purchased from Tirerack complete with TPMS sensors. With my order from Tirerack they provided the ID info for the sensors. They didn't' say what ID number went with what tire however. I purchased a ATEQ Quickset reset tool to program the sensors. The tool will read the sensor info from the OBD-2 port for the tires that are currently programed in the ECU. You then have to manually program the new sensors in the tool for uploading to the ECU. This would have worked just fine EXCEPT that I discovered that the you have to know what ID goes with what wheel or you will still get the warning light. Tirerack does not supply that info for each individual wheel. Just a list. I discovered that you have to know the ID of each wheel so you can program it in the proper position.
The folks at ATEQ said it didn't matter. Well it does! In order to identify each wheel I had to purchase an Autel TS 401 to read the sensor in each wheel and then program the correct ID for each wheel into the ATEQ Quickset for programming into the ECU. Light on the dash went out and now all is good. So if you rotate your tires or switch out the summer tires in the winter you'll either have to mark each wheel with its ID or have a TPSM reader tool like the TS 401 to identify them. Live and learn

#3 ·
Yeah thanks for posting. But I am not sure I understand the "rotate your tires" part. I rotate my summer OEM tires and the TPMS always works fine. I also put on winter wheels with no TPMS and when I go back to the OEM summers in random locations, the TPMS works fine. Did you mean something else?

#4 ·
What year WRX do you have? All I know is that I had to enter the proper wheel ID for what position on the car the wheel was installed or I'd get the light. I haven't tried to rotate my summer tires as of yet because I only have 1200 miles on the car.

#7 ·
I have a 2017 too and was unable to even download the codes from the ECU. Getting a solid red light.

What year did you select from the dropdown? Any tips? I assume the car must be turned off, you plug in the tool, then turn it on?

#8 ·
FYI:

ATEQ just released a database and software update and the latest version DOES work with 2017.
I tried selecting "WRX 2016" and it worked from the very first try... i.e. got a green light when downloading from the ECU.

Hope this helps someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.