Subaru WRX Forum banner

Looking to soften up the ride on my 2008 impreza wrx

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Kruegerwrx17 
#1 ·
Hey all new to the subaru world, have owned my wrx for about 4 months now and I love it. But the city I live in has terrible roads, I am looking for a way to soften up the ride. I can't really lower my car because of the roads, would like to keep factory height but just have a real smooth ride. Just looking for advice on what would help. TIA PFA
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Yellow Mid-size car

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. Nice pic.

I wonder the same thing sometimes on my 2016 WRX. The ride is VERY firm, and bone-jarring on bad roads. Wish it had magnetic dampers like Audi has, or adjustable air suspension. But those things would push the cost way up. That's why Audi costs so much more for same features and performance.

#3 ·
The 08 is the softest model. You can try more sidewall (to keep correct ride height this may mean smaller wheels that still must clear your brakes) but unless you can borrow a set this is a costly experiment. I'd not recommend softer springs IMO.

#4 ·
I'm not opposed to the idea of my car sitting higher than factory, but I'm wondering if maybe my struts are shot and that's why I'm experiencing such a rough ride, because I do notice a slight camber angle on all of my tires, aswell if I have a full car of people it seems like it is bottoming out. And if you look at the picture I posted I am parked on level ground and it looks like it is leaning back a bit doesn't it?

#5 ·
Inner camber wear and a larger wheel gap in the front compared to the back are both normal. However that doesn't mean your dampers are not failing; no picture will prove that except if there is juice coming out the cartridge bodies.

#7 ·
Eyeball them if possible. If you see fluid, they're leaking. Since you experience extreme temperatures, it is not unlikely for the seals to have failed after 8 years. However, it is also not guaranteed. There may be nothing wrong with your car.

#11 ·
It has been my experience that when struts go bad the car actually rides softer (more bouncy) but the clunking noise from the struts is louder. I plan to go with a 1/4-1/2" taller sidewall tire when my OEM tires wear out as I want a softer ride and extra height.

#12 ·
How many miles are on the car? Blown and worn struts on Subarus are known to cause some ass-end sag, which your car does look like it is displaying based on your pic. And a MY2008 likely is at that point. Struts are wear items and generally last only 80k-100k on most Subarus.

#13 ·
I bought it with a 119k km and am now at 133k but it's always seemed lower in the rear end, like I said previously I am new to struts so it didn't seem out of the ordinary but I was recently parked next to another 2009 wrx and the front ends where about the same height but my rear end was a lot lower than his, like 3-4" lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.