Subaru WRX Forum banner

Power Steering Pump Replacement Issues

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  XJman 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2005 WRX. Recently my power steering pump went out so I ordered one. After pulling mine off the car and comparing the two, it turns out that the pump I received wasn't the correct one, so I ended up having to go with an Autozone rebuilt pump. I installed it and after bleeding the air (just put the front wheels in the air and turned the wheel lock to lock til it stopped bubbling in the reservoir), lowered it back to the ground, and the power steering isn't working. Did i just not bleed it enough? Also it looks like the fluid level in the reservoir didn't really go down after I started the car, which seemed odd. If anyone has ran into this or has any suggestions that'd be great. Thanks.

#4 ·
Yes it was. So after checking everything I could think of, I realized that there was an o ring in the box that fit the usual problem area (inlet fitting attachment area), which I had already checked. The o ring already on it looked brand new so I planned on just leaving it but figured since I'd tried everything else I might as well replace it and see what happens. The pump started working perfectly after that so the old o ring must've been letting enough air in to disrupt the system. Just a heads up for anyone doing this in the future. Thanks for the replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.