Subaru WRX Forum banner

TPMS for 2nd set of wheels?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  15WRBlue 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking for the answer not lip service like it seems to be out their.

I've got a set of STI/BBS 2007 17X8 Gold wheels for my 2017 WRX this coming winter (Arriving next month).

I've heard all kinds of lip service but what I need is after I get a new set (4) of TPMS monitors what are my options:

1) Go to Subaru dealer and have them install them ($$$$)
(I'm retired and on a fixed income and a veteran)

2) Have some one explain in plain English what needs to be done to install them and get them working.
(I can follow pretty technical instructions - 35 years programming big PBX telephones systems)

3) Is there a UTube out there that explains and walk me through it?

Your help is greatly appreciated - thank you in advance for your assistance.

BOTH

See less See more
#2 ·
You might be surprised on how affordable the dealership might be. I bought my tires from the dealership (lafontaine subaru, Detroit area)

The tire cost was equivalent to tirerack, and installation with the tpms was 6$ a wheel mounted and balanced. No other tire shop came close to this. I was surprised too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
And many tire shops, if you go to them and buy either your second set of wheel and/or tires, and before you say "sold," ask them if that includes every time you switch back and forth between The two sets, will they for free put their special piece of equipment to the car and make that literally one minute re-setting. O asked that of Discount Tire (after getting them to match the Tire Rack pricing on what I wanted), and they said "sure, happy to do that for you."

Or perhaps as noted above, you ask your dealership to match TireRack's prices, and if they say yes, and again, before you say you will buy the tires from them, ask them if they too will do the twice a year re-setting for free.

#4 ·
it does take a certain tool to reset TPMS sensors to the car, so doing it yourself prob out of the picture unless you have a TPMS tool. I worked at a toyota dealer as a mechanic and we charged a half hour of labor for it. This was mainly because some cars have to be driven around a little to ensure pairing is complete. If they do install the new TPMS sensors, make sure they rebalance your wheels, i've seen many not get it and come back in a couple days due to wheel shake.

#5 ·
I have the stock wheels and TPMS on my summer set. For my winters I went to Discount Tire and bought new TPMS. The winter TPMS were cloned to use the same codes as my OEM set. When I make the seasonal switch I stop in to Discount and it takes about 5 minutes for the 2nd set of wheels/TPMS to be paired to the car via the ODBII port -- plus they do it no charge since I got the TPMS from them. When I had them mounted the first time I also got lifetime balance and rotation.

Cost for the TPMS was a little cheaper than OEM too.

#6 · (Edited)
I have the stock wheels and TPMS on my summer set. For my winters I went to Discount Tire and bought new TPMS. The winter TPMS were cloned to use the same codes as my OEM set. When I make the seasonal switch I stop in to Discount and it takes about 5 minutes for the 2nd set of wheels/TPMS to be paired to the car via the ODBII port -- plus they do it no charge since I got the TPMS from them. When I had them mounted the first time I also got lifetime balance and rotation.

Cost for the TPMS was a little cheaper than OEM too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.