Subaru WRX Forum banner

Strut queston

1K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave1955 
#1 ·
Newbie here and just bought a o8 wrx that handles worse then my wifes 07 outback.

133k for miles and I know it must need struts.

I don't really want to lower it ..its already tuff enough for my old butt to get in it..lol.

Anyways Monroe wants a good chunk of change to redo them..like 1500 I think he said.

Seems there is no quick strut for the 08?

I did find these and just wonder if anybody has tried them or has knowledge about them?
For 08 13 Impreza WRX GH8 Sedan Full coilover Suspension Quick Strut Kits | eBay

Motorcycle accessories Auto part Font

See less See more
#11 ·
I would check the spring rates on those King springs and make sure the Excel G is valved properly and can handle it. Excel G was supposed to replace the GR-2 line of struts, but when dissected the internal construction is noticeably cheaper. They're probably fine for a stock replacement, but I wouldn't expect them to hold up to aftermarket springs well, or to last terribly long. The next step up would be the AGX adjustable struts, which in my experience at least are pretty tough. Those would likely pair well with the King springs.

#14 ·
Ahh.. yeah, looks like they don't make them for your year model.. forgot about that. The next step up performance wise from AGX are probably Koni inserts.. which will run you around $650. Those are just inserts though, so you will have to cut your existing struts open to replace the guts.

Then there are the GT Worx Bilstein struts, which are valved for RCE Yellow springs. I've always heard great things about those, but you're looking at nearly $1100 for just the struts of you go with those.

#15 ·
I have read about the koni inserts and they could work.

But really I'm just wanting to make it a little stiffer then the 08's are.
I'm sure at 133 thousand miles though that the stock struts are beat..it handles bad really.
I know the stock 09 springs are stiffer but I guess if I have to visit the subaru dealer down the road to get a price then maybe use those with the g-2's .
I'm sure the 09 subie struts would be better but again prolly big money.

I guess I could go 09 subie springs strut?

#16 ·
If you want to stiffen your suspension slightly, maybe you could consider stiffer sway bars instead. That won't run near the cost of a shock/strut combo. For the record I have the adjustable koni inserts and Eibach springs. They are incredible on a street driven car.

#18 · (Edited)
Well today I put the moog end lings on.

I didn't think they would make a diff but they did..considerably,even though the ones that were on it looked ok.

I had the wrong energy bushings though..i thought i had a 21 mm bar but it's a 20.

Now they don't make a 20mm bushing so I have 19's coming..hopefully they will work..maybe sand some on the bar,paint, then grease it up.
They do make a 20.5 mm bushing but i was afraid they would would be too big.
Anyways it seems like that soft wishy-washy area i was talking about is about gone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.