What brakes do you have, have used, and feed back.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What brakes do you have, have used, and feed back. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Time is coming up my brakes will need done soon. I've been dragging my feet at choosing new rotors and ...

What brakes do you have, have used, and feed back.

Time is coming up my brakes will need done soon. I've been dragging my feet at choosing new rotors and pads. I've got my eyes on the stoptech preferred kit with non slotted rotors and pads. I've got a 2011 WRX, however most kits have similar properties across models. I've got some experience with hawk pads on my BMW but not in my subaru. I will not be getting a BBK, and unless I can find someone with sti brembo pull offs selling for dirt cheap because he has no idea what he has we are sticking to factory equipment. I will be putting in SS brake lines, so any comments or recommendations there are also welcome.

I was wondering what you folks have used, what your opinion of them are, and if you have recommendations. Anything is game here fluids, pads, rotors, ebrake pads. SO just leave a little thought about what you have and how you feel about the bite, fade, dust, noise, longevity, overall quality.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've used Hawk HPS and HP Plus. The HPS are not very dusty with no noise. They did well enough for me for nearly all of my AutoX usage. Better than OEM braking as I recall.

I put a set of HP Plus for a track day I did 3+ years ago. No fade whatsoever for 4 half hour sessions on the track. Instilled a lot of confidence as I got going faster. I still am using them on the street as they have a fantastic bite and pedal feel. They are dusty and can be noisy.

Stainless steel lines were an early addition. Their effect was noticeable, but less than I was expecting. The HP Plus added more bite and a better pedal feel than the SS lines.

I've been using nothing but ATE DOT 4 fluid. Used to alternate between blue and amber for easy brake fluid flushes / changes. Thanks to some know nothing bureaucrats, it is amber only now.

I’m on my second set of DBA 4000 series rotors. The HP Plus pads are rather hard on rotors, thus requiring the second set. The first set were worn down a lot, yet stayed true with no vibration, cracking or warping.
    Moderator for: Dealership, Vendor, and Installer Review, Detailing Forum, Engine Modifications, Exterior & Appearance, Mid-Atlantic States, New Member Hangout, Off Topic, Suspension & Wheels, Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

The hps pads I had were pretty dusty, how much dustier were the hp plus?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I tried the hawk as well and didnt really like them. Ive also tried the EBC green, yellow and red pads, none of which i enjoyed for a daily driver. What i currently use, and have been sticking with for all my cars of late are the stoptech sport pads.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    The hps pads I had were pretty dusty, how much dustier were the hp plus?
    Quite a bit. Been a while since I used the HPS. I thought they were OK dust wise.
    Moderator for: Dealership, Vendor, and Installer Review, Detailing Forum, Engine Modifications, Exterior & Appearance, Mid-Atlantic States, New Member Hangout, Off Topic, Suspension & Wheels, Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Compared to most newer hard as nails brake pads everything worth having that increases brake performance dusts a lot. It's just how much you can tolerate.

If you are going to strictly use your car as a DD, replace with whatever you want. It doesn't make much difference.

I had hawk street pads on another car, and they did get dusty. Not as dusty as the Ferodo pads on my Brembos at the moment, and not as dusty as race pads.

If you are looking for an upgrade, I have used DBA T3 4000 rotors. They did double duty as DD and Track rotors. I swapped between Hawk street pads and Carbotech XP10/XP8 F/R. Steel braided lines and DOT4 brake fluid.

It actually makes a huge difference. It's one of the mission critical systems among tires, and steering. Pads that are too aggressive for a particular rotor will warp it from excess heat it can't expel, or a pad that is too hard will not give you enough friction to stop quick enough in a urgent situation.

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jodedor View Post
    If you are going to strictly use your car as a DD, replace with whatever you want. It doesn't make much difference.

That's a terribly inaccurate statement. That throws things like Wearever golds from Advance Auto on the list, and you WILL regret that... Always go with a quality pad.

As for myself, on my '11 I loved the Project Mu NS Street pads, they were great.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

Just got the stoptech sport kits installed officially today. Quality wise very nice but I can't speak for experience because I have yet to even bed them in yet. For someone reason I'm getting a rhythmic squeak from my rear driver side wheel? Here we go again.
    "If the power increases, then I have to spend more money on gas" - Takumi Fujiwara

Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...eye-wagon.html

Did you put grease on the back of the pad? Helps dampen the vibration and stop the squeak

the rotor will not warp from using aggressive pads.

however, it is possible to have uneven pad deposit.

i am not for using garbage, and I certainly didnt mean it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    Did you put grease on the back of the pad? Helps dampen the vibration and stop the squeak

turns out it was something with the handbrake, went back and adjusted it and it went away. Went out and did the bedding procedure and they bit pretty well and had little NVH went locking the tires. I did eleven 60 to 10 stops and they just kept getting better braking after each stop even once they were super heated to the point where I was getting blasted with heat when making a U-turn with my window down. Pedal feel is definitely way different than stock rotors and lines, at least on a bugeye.
    "If the power increases, then I have to spend more money on gas" - Takumi Fujiwara

Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...eye-wagon.html

The rotor will warp from heat. Aggressive pads cause more friction and a poor quality rotor will not dissipate it fast enough and cause warping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.