Winter Tire/Wheel Setup - 2016 WRX WRB Limited
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Winter Tire/Wheel Setup - 2016 WRX WRB Limited within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here is the setup I'm looking at after a bit of research. I currently have the stock 18" package with ...

Winter Tire/Wheel Setup - 2016 WRX WRB Limited

Here is the setup I'm looking at after a bit of research. I currently have the stock 18" package with the WRX Limited.

Tires:
    235/45 17
    I'm leaning towards Blizzaks, but my local dealer is pushing the Cooper Weather Masters. Does anyone have any experience with the Cooper tires? Does that tire size look correct?

Wheels:
    Diameter:17
    Width:7.5
    Offset:45mm
    Does this seem like the right setup? The only thing I wasn't sure about was the offset. I know the stock offset is 55, so I wasn't sure if that was too big of a jump.
    I really like the Sparco Terra (Light Gray) or (White) but I can't seem to find them anywhere other than Tirerack and they are sold out. Any tips on other places to purchase them in the US?

Any other wheels that would look best with a WRB WRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Water.....sometimes waves rqjoe's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I put my winter setup on last night: 215/55R17 on 7.5" 35mm offset wheels. They work OK. Only time will tell if my offset causes wheel bearing/axle issues. They fit in the wheel wells. There is no "right" setup. There are many variations that will work. Your setup should work.

my local dealer is pushing the Cooper Weather Masters.
    Never heard of any experiences with these tires good or bad.. and probably for good reason.
    Your dealer is pushing them because they have higher margins or they are getting spiffed on each set they sell.

Compare the Cooper's tread pattern with the best winter tires on the market (Nokian Hakkapeliitta, Michelin Xi3, General Altimax Arctic)
    Do you see any commonality between the 3 I listed? (Yes, arrowhead tread pattern with 1 single or zero large longitudinal channels)
    Do you see any commonality with those 3 and the coopers? (No, Cooper uses a VERY blocky tread pattern and has 4 large channels for snow to pass through with no traction)

If it were my money, and my butt riding on snow in your car, I would lean towards the proven designs

I'm not bashing Cooper, they make some good rubber. I just believe the weathermaster's tread pattern is a big departure from the "norm" of proven winter tires.
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

I had the Cooper Weather Masters on my 2012 WRX for 3 seasons and thought they were great. I'm sure there are better winter performance tires out there, but these were great for reliable traction in the snow. They were 225/45 17s which were 10mm slimmer than the stocks for that year. I saw these wheels on tirerack and think they look pretty sweet for the price.

I picked up a 2016 WRX Limited last week and I'm trying to figure out my winter setup. The car came with the sport package which includes an extra set of 18" (black STi rims). I considered selling the extra rims and dropping to 235/45 17s for winter, but I think I'm going to stick with the 18s. My question is whether to go with 245s or 235s. I'm looking at the Michelin Xi3s and the 245s are like $20 cheaper per tire. I can't imagine 10mm would make THAT much of a difference. Anyone have feedback? Another benefit to the 245/40 18s is sticking with the stock size (I guess this is good)?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.