Problems after 2015 STi steering rack swap
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Problems after 2015 STi steering rack swap within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2010 STi hatch that I just swapped in a 2015 STI steering rack into and now I ...

Problems after 2015 STi steering rack swap

I have a 2010 STi hatch that I just swapped in a 2015 STI steering rack into and now I have a problem.

Going around moderately sweeping corners (~40 degrees) it feels like the car abruptly hits the brakes. Often accompanied by more of a grinding or binding type noise in the front. Oddly enough, the issue doesn't seem to occur if the car is being driven hard.

It was accompanied by a VDC traction slipping light and only occurred when off the throttle. After resetting/recalibrating the steering wheel angle sensor it occurs whether on throttle or off and there is no more slip light. Turning off traction control solves the problem.

When my mechanic plugged in a diagnostics computer and we did a quick run, the computer was showing that in those corners, some of the wheel speed sensors would read differently from others right when the issue was occurring.
    One time it threw a code 071 for steering wheel angle sensor issues, after we cleared it, it didn't come back.

Really struggling here... it sure seems like the quicker rack ratio is screwing up the VDC, but it doesn't seem plausible that so many others have done this swap into a GR but randomly mine doesn't like it. The folks over at IWSTI seem to have that point of view as well.

Help?

TL;DR: Swapped in 2015 STi Steering Rack, now wheel speed sensors are reading oddly and the car drives strangely.
    When in doubt, just go faster.

Diary of a Little Red Wagon (build thread): http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...red-wagon.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wish I could help, man. Have you checked how the part numbers compare? Maybe it isn't actually compatible?
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

It's a different part number, but lots of people have done it. There's a good 70+ page thread over on IWSTI with at least a dozen or more that have swapped the 15 rack into their GR with no issues.
    When in doubt, just go faster.

Diary of a Little Red Wagon (build thread): http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...red-wagon.html

Hi did you end up fixing this issue? I have the exact same issue after installing the 2016 sti rack on my 2012 Wrx. Except no error lights.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.