STI brakes on WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI brakes on WRX within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello! Serious question... ummm... if I wanted to have the stopping power of the STI's all I have to do ...

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar

STI brakes on WRX

Hello!

Serious question... ummm... if I wanted to have the stopping power of the STI's all I have to do is swap out my stock WRX brakes for the STI ones right? Or is there more to that?

Thanks!
    Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You will need 2004 rotors since your hub pattern is different.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Why exactly would you want STi stopping power with stock WRX power? That's not a condescension, I'm seriously wondering, because on a cheap day it's close to a $1000 mod.

To answer your question, though. Yes, essentially, once you swap rotors and pistons, you'd have STi brakes.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    Why exactly would you want STi stopping power with stock WRX power? That's not a condescension, I'm seriously wondering, because on a cheap day it's close to a $1000 mod.

To answer your question, though. Yes, essentially, once you swap rotors and pistons, you'd have STi brakes.
    I'm going to disagree with you. The WRX is overpowered, underbraked, and sprung too softly stock. While I think Brembo brakes are overkill, braking should absolutely be addressed before power.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2004 STi hubs, rotors, calipers.. I have them on my bugeye. Works pretty good.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'm going to disagree with you. The WRX is overpowered, underbraked, and sprung too softly stock. While I think Brembo brakes are overkill, braking should absolutely be addressed before power.
    Yeah I agree with that, he was asking about STi brakes specifically, though. My brake rotors and lines were one of the first things I swapped on my WRX when I had it.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

I Support ClubWRX

Thank you everyone!

Yea I should have worded the question better, my bad! I meant to ask if the "easiest" and "cheapest" way to improve the handling of my WRX would be getting the STI's brake set up since I feel that the WRX pulls hard but needs to be able to slow down better, like Zax said, a tad too much power for what the stock setup can do to slow down safely.

Thank you also both for the links and also the tips. A dumb question, but would this potentially allow a dealership to deny a warranty claim if I use 2004 parts for this? Just wanna be on the safe side with this.

Thank you all again!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have brake issues, and want them to fix your brakes, a different brake setup on the car would absolutely allow them to do this. HOWEVER, if you just got SS brake lines, a nice set of pads (Project Mu is AWESOME), and some nice rotors (DBA 4000?) then you'd be in the clear and have much more precise stopping power.

If you have brake issues, and want them to fix your brakes, a different brake setup on the car would absolutely allow them to do this. HOWEVER, if you just got SS brake lines, a nice set of pads (Project Mu is AWESOME), and some nice rotors (DBA 4000?) then you'd be in the clear and have much more precise stopping power.
    I love you. Like no homo. But thank you!

So I'll probably go along that route since that's under $1500 and will allow me to stop and slow down much better and more safely, which is a must!

One more question I have is though... ummm... so I'm not sure if I know how to do this little project myself... would it be a bad idea to have my local dealership (that does all of the regular service to my car and where we picked it up from) do the installation or no?

Thank you btw!

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, it's pretty straight forward. Go to a car meet, make some friends, offer to buy beers if someone will help you out. It's not a big project, and garages charge heftily for brake work, for whatever reason.

Honestly, it's pretty straight forward. Go to a car meet, make some friends, offer to buy beers if someone will help you out. It's not a big project, and garages charge heftily for brake work, for whatever reason.
    ok that's fine... I have some friends that can do it but I hate always asking for help since they were always pitching in here and there with my old e36 last year...

What will happen when I take it in for service in the future though? Will they give me crap for it or play around with me for it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Germz to Japz View Post
    ok that's fine... I have some friends that can do it but I hate always asking for help since they were always pitching in here and there with my old e36 last year...

What will happen when I take it in for service in the future though? Will they give me crap for it or play around with me for it?
    It's just replacement parts. Wear/tear stuff. I don't know of any dealer that will try to say anything to you for brakes.

It's just replacement parts. Wear/tear stuff. I don't know of any dealer that will try to say anything to you for brakes.
    ok fair enough... ummm... last thing... do you have links to any trusted vendor cites to get all of this stuff from?

thank you again so much dude!

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, we of course have WTF Tuning here on the site, and oakos, I'll suggest them first, since they pay to advertise here, but I'm always a huge fan of importimageracing. Usually if you email them, I think it's Sales@Importimageracing they'll give you a bit of a discount.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.