What is the optimal wheel offset?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What is the optimal wheel offset? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I apologize if this was asked already but I already searched the forum but I don't see a clear answer ...

I apologize if this was asked already but I already searched the forum but I don't see a clear answer to my questions.
    I have a 2015 STI.............sorry lots of questions here.....my brain is all over the place!

1) what is the lowest offset (on aftermarket wheels) that I can get without doing anything to the car i.e. Rolling the fenders, etc. I would like for the wheels to be flush with the fenders if possible. Note: I have stock suspension, I might do coil overs in a year or two, would like for these wheels to fit then.

2) any good brand names that You guys have experience with for after market wheels? Say with a $350-400 per wheel budget and with the suggested offset (from above).

3) what is the maximum wheel width the stock tire can fit? Do you guys recommend me going with 8" width or wider? I would like to keep using the same tire to minimize or eliminate speed reading error.

Please let me know if I forgot something.

Thanks a bunch guys!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That was a long time being in front of the computer screen........I believe I got my answers. It only took me about 4 hrs!!

Quote Originally Posted by unam View Post
    That was a long time being in front of the computer screen........I believe I got my answers. It only took me about 4 hrs!!
    so what did you find?

Well depends what look and how ugh you want to modified your car. I don't......so I figured 8.5" width would be the maximum and still use the stock tires. as far as the offset I won't go less than +40, the original being +55. I think that would give me the look I want without any fender roll or anything like that. As far as the brand for the $ range, they are tons of options and I guess you have to like the wheels that you buy. Unless you are looking at weight reduction then money should not be a factor in that equation. I am not 100% sure what the stock wheels weigh, so it would be hard to say what wheels I would buy. I have a few brand that I am looking at, some are really out of my price range though........I don't have my notes with me so I cannot say which are lighter or better. I also didn't have enough time to research each one of them.

tire direct has 38 offset for stock wheels, so i would assume theres no issues of fitment. however thats on a 17x8. which is where the exchange works i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    tire direct has 38 offset for stock wheels, so i would assume theres no issues of fitment. however thats on a 17x8. which is where the exchange works i guess.
    That might be for the WRX but not for the STI. I am sure that both the wrx and sti model in 2015 came with a +55 offset, difference being the wheel size (17" vs 18").

yes yes, im sorry. my brain defaults to wrx. not sti.

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    yes yes, im sorry. my brain defaults to wrx. not sti.
    Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

There is a thread on NASIOC that tracks all the stock wheels. I wrote down 24.25 lbs for stock 2015 sti wheels. BBS were 22.1 lbs. In addition to weights it lists wheel size, offset, bolt patterns and tire size.

Like you I've been search for new wheels (but for a 2015 wrx) and don't want to roll fenders or anything. I figure if the sti wheels which are 18x8.5 fit as an add on to the wrx, I'll keep that as my max.

As for wheels, I've been looking at the OZ Alleggerita HLT in gold. They would be just outside your price range for the 18x8.5 on tire rack.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2239019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reklats View Post
    There is a thread on NASIOC that tracks all the stock wheels. I wrote down 24.25 lbs for stock 2015 sti wheels. BBS were 22.1 lbs. In addition to weights it lists wheel size, offset, bolt patterns and tire size.

Like you I've been search for new wheels (but for a 2015 wrx) and don't want to roll fenders or anything. I figure if the sti wheels which are 18x8.5 fit as an add on to the wrx, I'll keep that as my max.

As for wheels, I've been looking at the OZ Alleggerita HLT in gold. They would be just outside your price range for the 18x8.5 on tire rack.

Master thread of OEM Subaru Wheel Specs - NASIOC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the link!! Yeah I had already found that and more in my 4 hr search........

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.