Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 WRX suspension ( not wife approved)

16K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  srt4evah 
#1 ·
I took delivery of my new 2015 WRX limited back in Nov and i love the car. My commute to work is approx 8 miles, so I have only racked up 2000 miles since then. The issue I have is that during the weekends when I drive, my wife absolutely hates the ride quality, she gets headaches, I too sometimes think its jarring ( my roads are bad, lots of cobble stone). I live in New England so its been really cold and I am assuming the shock fluid is stiff and will soften in warmer weather. She wants me to reconsider and perhaps trade it in ( 2015 Legacy 3.6 limited) I have researched the stock spring rates and it has been discussed as it being Front Rate: 324 , Rear Rate: 291.

I don't auto cross , and my car is just a DD. Other than sacrifice ride quality and throwing on coil-overs with softer spring rates, has anyone else experienced this from their spouse.

I have owned a 2002 wrx with Tein flex and a LGT with KW's with no complaints from her, seems like she notices it more with the new 2015 WRX.

#4 ·
dang your wife and you get headaches and back pains from a stock 2015 wrx?

well... and i'm being serious... maybe put on ear-muffs and maybe a soft blanket/towel on the seats to absorb the "bumpy-bumps" a little bit better?

not sure what to say... a wrx isn't really designed to have ride quality as a top priority... at least it's not the 2014 model or something... :p

sorry to hear though, that does kinda suck if it is something that bothers you guys, especially her...

OH AND I FORGOT! TIRES! Get better tires to soak up the bumps and reduce the noise!

Good luck good sir! :D

#6 ·
I agree with the rest lol, the WRX is just a stiff car, to me it's stiff in a really nice way and feels super stable and solid, but to others I could imagine how it would feel annoying and jarring. Really only tires designed for comfort would help, but that would probably take some of your handling away. Ghostie is right lol, if it bothers her that much then you two should just take her car when you go out :p

#7 · (Edited)
I did switch the stock dunlops and went Conti DWS, still the same thing, everywhere we go now we always take her car so no more complaints. I suffer from migraines which the ride does affect me the most when they occur. I heard that the 08+ sti uses the same suspension mounting points so i was considering doing a suspension swap with an OEM softer spring rate. I understand the chassis is stiffer but damn, compared to my slammed 02 bug eye and my lowered lgt the 2015 wrx is much tighter. Maybe i'll get use to it the more I drive., with such a small commute it wouldn't give me time to adjust.

Thanks for the comments and feedback - at least my commute is only 8 minutes each way.-
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive fog light
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Rim

#12 ·
I'm looking forward to getting a Cobb AP to smooth out the throttle and boost delivery, I have only test driven but I can tell it's twitchy. Ride quality is, well, sporty. It's smooth when the roads are smooth, and it will toss you around when they're bad. The WRX rides smoother than my ISF, or at least it felt like it did.

Some coilover setups might give you a better ride, like the KW Street Comforts, but every set is going to be different so you might want to talk to a shop that sells a lot of WRX suspension parts and get a recommendation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.