Should I Replace These Tires? Possible Uneven Wear???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Should I Replace These Tires? Possible Uneven Wear??? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I bought a set of 5Zigen FN01RC wheels with Falken Ziex tires. When I met the guy the tires ...

Registered User Jackstand Johnny's Avatar

Should I Replace These Tires? Possible Uneven Wear???

So I bought a set of 5Zigen FN01RC wheels with Falken Ziex tires. When I met the guy the tires all looked to be in really good shape with even wear, but I must have not paid attention to the one in the very back. To my Dad and I, 1 of the tires looks to be worn down more than the other 3. I'm gonna get a tread depth gauge and I swear I think I got one laying around here somewhere but I was just wondering what yall thought? Do they look unevenly worn to yall? I know how crucial it is to keep them all worn equally and I know if I have to replace one, I have to replace all 4 which really sucks because I thought I was getting a deal, but not if I have to buy 4 new tires.

Newer looking tire that looks like the other 2:

This is the one I think looks more worn compared to the other 4 tires:

Newer on top, more worn one on bottom:

So heres the reason why Im even bothering making a thread because I know yall are probably thinking Im an idiot who already answered my own question. Well the thing is to ME, it looks like this other tire is just worn down the middle a bit like it was over inflated, but the outer treads look the same as the other 3 tires. So if thats the case then it wouldnt change the diameter of the tire, right? 1

And another thing I really dont understand is how the guy I bought them from was able to drive HIS WRX on these tires for who knows how long with no problems that I know of. Has anyone here had a major issue with their drivetrain because they drove on uneven tires? Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you use a tire gauge?
    If you don't have one use a penny.
    Then roll the tire around a little, you should see if one is off.
    Tires must be evenly worn or they can cause issues.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks worn to me too. Get a tread depth measuring tool and measure away. The tires can not be outside of a 2/32 difference between all 4. Unfortunately, I believe that if the tire is over inflated and the tread was worn more than it would affect the tire's diameter in the middle. Now, how that would affect the differential, I'm not so sure. You may be forced to get a new set of tires just to be on the safer side though.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Thanks man. I bought a tread depth gauge yesterday. Gonna measure them when it stops raining but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to get new tires. Luckily I can probably sell these to someone without an all wheel drive car and at least make the money back that I paid for the wheels and tires together.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

So it looks like the odd tire out is 3/32" lower on tread than the other 3. The limit is 2/32". Its SOOO close! Should I not worry about it and just run them anyways? I'm not 100% sure I can anyways cause from what random bits of advice and poss I've pieced together it looks like they probably won't fit with 17x8" wheels with a +48 offset. The tires are 245/40/17s on an 02 wagon with stock suspension. Some say it'll work, some say it wont..

By the way McBill, in regards to what you were wondering about how the tread depth and tire pressure has to do with problems with the differential; I have a theory. As tread depth and pressure both change the overall tire diameternif two wheels are rolling connected to a shaft and they both have a different diameter from one another, one will cover more ground than the other. When those two wheels are connected to a differential with planetary gears like the one in our WRXs, they can potentially cause binding and clearance problems with the differential gears which can not only cause premature wear but if it's bad enough the teeth can potentially strip, break or lockup. The latter is an extreme case and would probably only happen if the tire diameter between the two wheels was huge but since its mentioned in the manual its got my concerned.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.