Subaru WRX Forum banner

Winter Tires and wheels in the NorthEast

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  jscollin 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2015 WRX and they basically racing tires on them and I am not going to survive in the winter with those on. The Dealership said they would sell me 4 new Dunlop Winter Maxx tires, and programmable rims, mounts etc....out the door $1,100 plus tax.

Should I go this route or look for a solid tire elsewhere and use the rims that I have already that came with the car?

I am not quite sure what to do or what has worked for anyone else up until this point.

Any and all advice is appreciated before the horrible winter that is upon us.

#4 ·
Just got my WRX last month and am trying to solve that problem as well. After reading may posts here and speaking with local tire pros, I've decided to buy an extra set of rims with either snow or all seasons for the winter rather than use the stock rims. The tire pros voiced potential concern over mounting and dismounting twice a year and then the dealer needs to reset the TPMS (i.e. programmable rims) which costs $50-$80 twice a year, they need to be balanced after mounting twice a year. It's just not worth it. Have two sets as they will pay for themselves. And ignore the TPMS light for the three months or so that you have the winter tires/wheels on. In the spring, you change 'em and the light goes out. It's really the best way to go in my opinion.

#5 ·
This, best option for you if you can afford it is to find some cheap wheels and have some tires mounted at a tire shop. I'm not sure what the stealership was trying to tell you but it sounds like they were just mounting new tires on your stock wheels.

The best reasonably priced winter season tires are Bridgstone Blizzak WS80, Continental ExtremeWinterContact, Michelin X-Ice Xi3 and General Altimax Arctic. The ones I would personally recomend out of those three are the General Altimax Arctic's. However, you can't go wrong with any of the four.

#7 ·
Meh not really. That's close to how much you will pay for just 4 winter tires mounted an balanced (roughly $950). However, I would still go to a tire place. If you don't mind the look of steel wheels those are easily the cheapest and most efficient option for a second set of wheels.

#9 ·
Whatever you do, definitely go with dedicated winter tires not all seasons. Especially since you already have the summer tires.

#11 ·
Just purchased a set of General Altimax tires with a set of steel wheels and no TPMS for $740. Honestly recommend dedicated snows. Winter tires are worth the investment. If you want to just look through for sale threads and save yourself some money.

#14 ·
Dedicated snows are a must in the NE as far as I'm concerned.

That said, you can get a set of cheap 16" wheels, some General Altimax Arctics (kick-ass) for $89/tire from the Tire Rack. I'd bet you could do that for <$700. Hell, I paid $500 to put snows on my stock 17" wheels last winter, then picked up a set of summers in the spring.

#17 ·
I could be wrong, but I don't think 16's will fit on the 2015s.

OP, I'd have to agree with what everyone else has said. since you have summer rubber, don't bother with no-seasons.

#16 ·
$1100 may not be outrageous if the OP wants new wheels and TPMS sensors. If the tires are the stock size (235/45-17) and the wheels are decent alloys, it's not terrible, especially when shipping costs are included. (TR charges sales tax for shipping to my state, as well.)

There are cheaper ways to do it, as noted above.

I'd prefer the Winter Sport 3D's (H rated) over the Winter Maxx (T rated). The price difference is small. The 4D's are V rated, but I don't see a price at TR. (They certainly existed in 235/45-17. That's what is on my '13 WRX today.)

#18 ·
I decided to go with the dealer package. 4 - Sport Edition A8s, gunmetal. 4 - Dunlop Winter Maxx tires, TPMS, mounted, balanced, everything I think for $1,200. Looked on tire rack. May save $50 but a lot of headaches and running around plus waiting to ship n such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.