what's a decent winter tire
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on what's a decent winter tire within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Gonna be buying winter tires soon. Can't really tell the difference and I'm not trying to spend too much money. ...

what's a decent winter tire

Gonna be buying winter tires soon. Can't really tell the difference and I'm not trying to spend too much money. Any suggestions for a good tire?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Bridgestone Blizzak ws80
    Nokian Hakka R2 are nasty.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're trying to save money, your best bet is General Altimax Arctic tires. There is no better budget winter tire.

Where in the capital region do you live? The weather / snowfall varies greatly depending on where you are.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The 3 most popular inexpensive winter tires I've seen are
    Cooper
    General
    Firestone
    I haven't used Firestone' offering, but I can recommend you steer clear of Cooper and pick up a set of Generals. I mounted a set of my wife's FXT last season and was impressed enough at how capable they are that I ordered some for my WRX this year. They aren't as good as my previous Continental Ewc on dry pavement, but are even better in deep snow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Second the general altimax.
    Stinkeye member 520

Don't get cheap tires! Just think, they will last about 4 years, that's a very long time to have poo on your shoes.
    Edit: holy crap, Generals are almost half the price of some Nokians, that is awesome.
    Last edited by trama; 09-22-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: price check

Generals are cheap but perform much better then you'll need
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by trama View Post
    Don't get cheap tires! Just think, they will last about 4 years, that's a very long time to have poo on your shoes.
    Edit: holy crap, Generals are almost half the price of some Nokians, that is awesome.
    the Altimax Artics perform outside their price range. I got mine for $340 shipped! A set of Conti EWC or Michelin x-ice 3 would have cost almost double and all I'm giving up is some dry traction/cornering. As long as you know this going into the purchase and don't drive stupid these tires are more than you'll need. My wife commuted several days in some of the worst storms we had last year and said she never felt unsure if she'd make it there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
    the Altimax Artics perform outside their price range. I got mine for $340 shipped! A set of Conti EWC or Michelin x-ice 3 would have cost almost double and all I'm giving up is some dry traction/cornering. As long as you know this going into the purchase and don't drive stupid these tires are more than you'll need. My wife commuted several days in some of the worst storms we had last year and said she never felt unsure if she'd make it there or not.
    Where did you get them for $340!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post
    Where did you get them for $340!?!
    Discount tire. They run specials, this was last month they had a coupon for $100 off a $400 purchase through their eBay store. I got 4 215 55 16 General Altimax Artics for $340 shipped. I picked up some used WRX stockers and paid $40 to get them mounted and balanced. Under $500 if I don't count what I spent on paint... just over if I include the spray paint.

I ran the Generals on my WRX as well. These are a good choice for winter...budget conscious or not.
    They're a little roly-poly on the dry pavement, but you'll get over it.

Yea I had generals on my last wrx. Worked well in the snow. Honestly with awd you don't need the most expensive winter tire unless you live/drive in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post
    Yea I had generals on my last wrx. Worked well in the snow. Honestly with awd you don't need the most expensive winter tire unless you live/drive in the mountains
    The problem with the cheaper tires is not just braking and cornering (for which AWD will not aid traction on snow and ice), but also for dry traction as well. I had some Federal's on my V6 Altima for one winter and they were absolutely awful in normal conditions, felt like the sidewalls were made of Jello. I had xi3's on my WRX out of the dealership in April and they felt pretty decent in Spring weather.

just bought a set of these: Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct, this is my 1st WRX and 1st experience w/ winter driving, hope i made the right choice ... the guy at Discount Tire said these were 3rd rated tire behind the super expensive Michelins

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    just bought a set of these: Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct, this is my 1st WRX and 1st experience w/ winter driving, hope i made the right choice ... the guy at Discount Tire said these were 3rd rated tire behind the super expensive Michelins
    Discount tire is awesome. That's where I bought my generals from for 388. Fast shipping as welk
    Stinkeye member 520

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.