Subaru WRX Forum banner

what's a decent winter tire

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  soloz2 
#1 ·
Gonna be buying winter tires soon. Can't really tell the difference and I'm not trying to spend too much money. Any suggestions for a good tire?

#3 ·
If you're trying to save money, your best bet is General Altimax Arctic tires. There is no better budget winter tire.

Where in the capital region do you live? The weather / snowfall varies greatly depending on where you are.

#4 ·
The 3 most popular inexpensive winter tires I've seen are
Cooper
General
Firestone
I haven't used Firestone' offering, but I can recommend you steer clear of Cooper and pick up a set of Generals. I mounted a set of my wife's FXT last season and was impressed enough at how capable they are that I ordered some for my WRX this year. They aren't as good as my previous Continental Ewc on dry pavement, but are even better in deep snow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
the Altimax Artics perform outside their price range. I got mine for $340 shipped! A set of Conti EWC or Michelin x-ice 3 would have cost almost double and all I'm giving up is some dry traction/cornering. As long as you know this going into the purchase and don't drive stupid these tires are more than you'll need. My wife commuted several days in some of the worst storms we had last year and said she never felt unsure if she'd make it there or not.

#13 ·
The problem with the cheaper tires is not just braking and cornering (for which AWD will not aid traction on snow and ice), but also for dry traction as well. I had some Federal's on my V6 Altima for one winter and they were absolutely awful in normal conditions, felt like the sidewalls were made of Jello. I had xi3's on my WRX out of the dealership in April and they felt pretty decent in Spring weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.