Subaru WRX Forum banner

Suspension recommendations?

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  ArchangelF16 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm looking for some input on either spring/strut combos or possibly coilovers.

Current setup for my 06 WRX:
-Tein H Tech springs on stock struts
-Perrin adjustable front and rear sways w/ endlinks (I believe they were 22mm, but might be 24)
-Upgraded rotors/pads/SS lines
-Rota Torques w/ 235/40/17 tires that will be replaced soon
-Cobb stage 2 protune

The car is my daily driver, but will see frequent spirited drives through the mountains and the occasional auto-x in STU, and will likely still drive in the snow (with snow tires). I'd like to give rallycross a try one of these days for funsies, but the goal isn't to have a track car I can live with on the street, but rather the other way around. I'm looking for comfort level on par or better than the H Techs gave (I'm married with a kid on the way - both will ride in the car), lowered compared to stock - not stanced or anything, and sharper handling for track day fun. I'm comfortable do the work myself, and figure a budget around $1500 +/- a few hundred.

I've been overall happy with the current setup, but after sitting on H Techs for ~100k miles, it's time to change it up and make some improvements. My 98 STi had Cusco coilovers on it from the previous owner and while it handled like it was on rails, it felt like my kidneys took a beating anytime I hit a pebble. I admit at the time I didn't have a garage to work on it so never actually messed with any of the settings for ride height, rebound, etc that might have helped the comfort level, but have one now.

Anyway, thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
KYB AGX's are not a bad entry level adjustable shock. A step up would be the Koni inserts. Springs I would do either the Racecomp Engineering Super Sport street/track springs,Epic Engineering or the Cobb springs.

#3 ·
Almost anything is an improvement over the H-Techs...

I agree with Donkey above...

#7 ·
If you're not competing on a regular basis in Auto-X, do you care about what happens to your classing? Basically, if you're not doing a complete season (such that you'd be looking at placement at the end), in my opinion, who cares what class you're in...

With a budget of $1500 (+/-), we can do a lot of good things with your car.

#8 · (Edited)
Sticking to your $1500 budget...
KYB GR2 struts
Swift Sport springs (sell the H-Techs)
Whiteline Com-C mounts (F)
New OE mounts (R)
Camber bolts (R)
Whiteline Comfort ALK
Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment kit
Custom alignment

Going a little over the $1500 budget...
Koni Inserts (vs GR2s)
RCE Black springs (vs Swift Sports)

Swift Spec-R springs can be replaced for a bit more aggressive setup, but considering the DD / weekend warrior, RCE Blacks are probably better for you.

#11 ·
Would AGXs be a compromise between the GR2s and Koni inserts? Having a little bit of basic adjustability for auto-x days and daily driver compliance is starting to grow on me, and I don't mind taking out the seats to get to a knob.

Would you still go with the Swift Sports or RCE Black with AGX or a completely different spring? Also, assuming I were to stay in STX/STU (I think it's awesome to see your own times improve, but I also like a little bit of competition to shoot for), is the ALK the only thing on the list thats a no-go? I figure I can pick one up in the spring if I change my mind.

And for those that would suggest tires, they're independent of the budget. I picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45/17 already.

#13 ·
And for those that would suggest tires, they're independent of the budget. I picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45/17 already.
That's what I run for summers. I absolutely love them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.