New Rims vs. NJ pothole

This is a discussion on New Rims vs. NJ pothole within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well i got new wheels and tires and was on a casual drive down the shore. right at the exit ...

New Rims vs. NJ pothole

well i got new wheels and tires and was on a casual drive down the shore. right at the exit ramp there was just this huge pothole that nearly took half a lane. it was so last minute that i had no time to move out of the way, so i caught a chunk of it. well after some cursing and sobbing a said i have to look to see the damage. Well there was none....atleast to my knowledge. i checked both the back and front face of the rim and tire and found nothing. what i did find was that i hit this pothole hard enough that a bunch of brake dust was just "blown" off. I guess i hit the wheel in the dead center that a circular shape of brake dust was just missing from the inner part of my rim. Now other than that again i dont see any physical damage. the hub ring has not cracked or anything. Idk if its just my paranoia but, for some reason i am expecting some vibration. without removing the tire from the rim does anyone think there could be a potential issue beneath the surface?
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. ProcessWest tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Tsudo Turboback. Tial mv-s ewg. GFB TMS valve. Grimmspeed ebcs, crank pulley, and up-pipe. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. ACT HD clutch w/ lightweight flywheel. StopTech/ Wilwood sport brake system ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r. perrin front endlinks. Drag DR31 wheels 18x9 +15 offset. Nitto NeoGENS UHP all-seasons. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Rims can crack along the inside if a pot hole is hit hard enough. As long as the tire is still holding air pressure and there are no bubbles in the tire, you should be fine. I hit some nasty potholes this winter/spring too, NJ roads were torn up this year (worse than I ever remember).

A hard hit like that could also effect your alignment. Just see if the car is pulling to either side, or if there is an abnormal amount of vibration at any speed.

It is also possible to get reimbursed if there is damage to your vehicle, but you need to pull over immediately after hitting the pothole, take a photo of the damage, take a photo of the pothole (with enough of the road visible to establish location), and call the police to report the damage. Then you will have to call the state, county, or town (depending on who is responsible for the road) and jump through a bunch of hoops to get reimbursed.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

I live in Clark. No pot holes here.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_NJ View Post
    I live in Clark. No pot holes here.
    Not sure if that's sarcasm, but if not, clearly you haven't driven down Lake or Raritain ave after the winter!

I'm from SPF. Did you happen to pass a WRB WRX on Martine Ave this morning?

Sent from my iPhone
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

My cousin lives on the border of cranford and clark. to get to his house i usually take the street that has a shoprite and target across the street from each other. But, i really havnt seen to many pothole over in that area. i live in woodbridge and the potholes and bumps around the local streets are terrible. I wouldnt be surprised if my suspension needs to be replaced in the next few months.
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. ProcessWest tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Tsudo Turboback. Tial mv-s ewg. GFB TMS valve. Grimmspeed ebcs, crank pulley, and up-pipe. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. ACT HD clutch w/ lightweight flywheel. StopTech/ Wilwood sport brake system ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r. perrin front endlinks. Drag DR31 wheels 18x9 +15 offset. Nitto NeoGENS UHP all-seasons. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar.

That's Central Ave., that road is pretty good. Route 22 was the worst I have ever seen it this past year. But a lot of roads got torn up pretty badly this year. It doesn't help that the towns hire a crappy company (who I won't name) to "fix" everything, because they basically make it worse by digging up a section of road, then laying blacktop down that either sinks or is completely uneven. Now where there was a 1 foot pothole to avoid, you have full sections of road that suck. See Martine Ave. in Fanwood.
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

I Support ClubWRX
    My dealership sells a wheel and tire road hazard warranty. I can't speak for other dealers but here it only costs $520 and lasts 5 years. It also covers 2 sets of wheels if you have summer/winter setup or even expensive aftermarket wheels/ BBS sti wheels. For WRXs and STi's in the northeast I would highly recommend adding something like that if you can swing the cost as it is usually less than 10 bucks a month and 90% of the time with a wrx/sti it pays for itself. I don't even understand how that company makes any money around here.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

This road hazard warranty i can just purchase? I bought my car at another dealership and i have aftermarket wheels on the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Depends how long it has been, some places make you buy it with the car, some will let you get it within 6 months or something like that. Some may make you buy it as part of a package and some will let you buy it separately like we do. Call the F&I manager at the place you got your subie and ask, its worth a shot. Also get the name of the company it is through and make sure they aren't some fly by night con artists or something, they are not all created equal. Ours is through Allstate which is obviously a good company that will be around in the future. Other good companies would include GE and warranty solutions although I do not know their prices.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html