Subaru WRX Forum banner

WhiteLine swaybars

5K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Geo_NJ 
#1 ·
I intend to purchase WhiteLine swaybars this week. I'm looking for an installation procedure for bars and Kartboy endlinks. How to go about installing the swaybars and endlinks such as tricks torque specs for swaybars and the Kartboy endlinks. From what I have heard and read the endlinks have to be installed with full load. That I don't quite understand. Should sway bars be installed on a lift, and end links put in place? Then for weight load should I move car to ramp lift then ad washers spacers and set endlinks properly straight up and down. My friend who will install has never done WhiteLine bars, his experience is with Cobb and Perrin swaybars. He said he always does install on lift up in the air.
Can anybody help me with this? Anyone running the same set up? I have never done swaybars and I want to do it right.

#2 ·
I found a great install video on WhiteLine swaybar install, very helpful.
So what I need now is detailed instructions to install Kartboy front and rear endlinks on my 2013 WRX.
Any help or advice/ directions would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I'm no expert on this. I have swapped in SuperPro swaybars on my '13, using Kartboy endlinks.

I have read that the wheels must be loaded. I have also read that's unnecessary, as long as the load is the same on both wheels. (That is, raise both wheels.) I used ramps, so my wheels were loaded.

Kartboy has install instructions at their website, in the form of forum links. Here's one for the rears:

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/kartboy-2008-rear-endlink-kit-14411.html

I bought the Kartboy endlinks from Cygnus Performance. The fronts came with four 5 mm aluminum spacers, which were what was needed to make the sit vertical.

The biggest difficulty was the rust on the OEM endlinks, which was pretty bad after a single Connecticut winter. I found a little oil on the thread made removal easier. (I used Aerokroil to help break them loose, but a little engine oil was a better lubricant.) The need to use a wrench (not a regular socket) plus a 5 mm hex key (to keep the threaded shaft from turning) made it awkward to supply much torque.

Make sure to use a torque wrench on the Kartboy nuts and bolts. I got some clunks until I tightened them to 45 ft lbs (61 Nm).

#5 · (Edited)
id have to find it again but id bet whiteline has instructions up on their website too. wheels loaded or dropped evenly yes, but it is soooo much easier if they are loaded so ramps or lift(you dont have access to a drive on lift right? ) the bolts holding the chassis mount probably could use a soak overnight from pb blaster or wd40...whichever. then its just wiggling the old out and installing the new. torquing a few nuts n bolts down and drive! id say the worst thing your going to run into is the chassis mount bolts.if your old endlink bolts are frozen no big deal, they are replaced so if you cant get them off the bar the bolts can be cut out or just leave them on the bar. got all new parts and bushings so you should be gtg!.
http://www.whitelinesuspensionparts.com/Installation_instructions/Whiteline/Z320_Z388.pdf from whiteline.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Installation_Instructions/Whiteline/Z320.pdf and the front. also from whiteline's webpage. should get you a good start in.

actually i think Turn in Concepts might have better directions than this. ill look them up when i get back from work.

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply Rob!
I do have access to drive on lift.
It seems to be the best way. Everybody said install endlinks under load, now I get it.
I wasn't sure with lift to reserve. So I would get best results on a drive on lift? That's the one I'll ask for, it makes it easier for my buddy if I know which lift I need in advance. If anybody has any more tips and tricks post em.

#7 ·
Ya no problem. I used our four post drive on lift at the shop to do my rear sway bar and it was a snap. My endlinks came about two weeks later and I did those on ramps. But looking at it it definitely easier to do the bar directly under it and standing up lol.

#8 ·
If you have instructions to install a swaybar, you have all the instructions you need for the endlinks. It's just one more nut per corner; remove that the same way you did the other one.

The suspension should be loaded.

#9 ·
If you have instructions to install a swaybar, you have all the instructions you need for the endlinks. It's just one more nut per corner; remove that the same way you did the other one.

Cool!
The suspension should be loaded.
My only real concern is setting endlinks properly. I just found out from tirerob all I need is the drive up lift so the weight is equal on all 4 sides. Great info thanks guys.

#11 ·
Now for the opinion part.
My car is a daily driver, what settings are people using. Front stiff? soft? Rear stiff ? soft?or middle?
Open to suggestions, I thought of stiff front and soft rear. What's a good balance?
How do you like your WhiteLines?

#13 ·
That's the same size I'm getting 24F 22R. With front set to hard how is the ride? I live just outside Boston winter weather sucks. And roads are damaged even in summer. I don't want a harsh ride on regular streets, I'm thinking hard front soft rear. Thanks for replying A265 ( What state are you in?) keep the suggestions/ opinions coming!

#15 · (Edited)
Just ordered WhiteLine swaybars with Kartboy endlinks.
22 mmR and 24 mmF, also ordered spacers and washers just in case.
Also got the Oem rain guards ( Will look nice installed) also got them for Moms Impreza.
Still looking for more swaybar setting combos.
Post EM if you got EM!!

Need opinions! Zax, SD_GR, EJ257, where you at?
You guys always have useful info and insight.

#17 ·
I installed Eibach rear/front sway bars with Kartboy endlinks a few weeks ago. The Kartboys didn't come with enough spacers for the bottom bolt on the endlinks in the rear, needed one extra washer per side to have it flush. This was my first decent DIY, took me quite some time (with a friend), but it's not that bad now that I look back on it. There are no instructions for the endlinks, but the torque specs are listed on their forums.

#19 ·
I have whiteline sways and kart boy endlinks on mine. Front is 24mm set on hard and rear is 22mm set on medium.
I do get some clunking from the rear from time to time, but I'm not sure why.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Did you install them under full load? And did you torque them to spec? After driving and breaking them in I believe you want to re check re torque and check bushings and lateral links. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#21 ·
TownLine500 said:
Did you install them under full load? And did you torque them to spec?
You've been advised that you need to install your sways with the suspension loaded, and that you should torque things to spec. Does it matter what that person did? Some random Internet dude can bang a hooker without a condom and have no issue; does that mean you should do the same?

#22 ·
Still looking for opinions on WhiteLine swaybar settings.
What's your preferred setting front and rear.

#25 ·
My WhiteLine sway bars are installed!
I went with 24mm front set to stiff, and 22mm rear set to middle setting. It gives my car a nice neutral feel with almost no body roll around corners. What a difference it's like night and day. My 2013 WRX now rides like a 3 series BMW. Kartboy endlinks are quality my friend and I used his drive on lift to install everything, made it fairly easy. I would not want to do it on ramps, so I applaud those of you use the ramps. You guys get a gold star in my book. Took about an hour to get everything lined up and installed. I am very happy with results.

#27 ·
Almost forgot to mention while installing rear swaybar, if you have an aftermarket cat back you may need to remove Y pipe to get swaybar into place. I have an invidia N1 exhaust and WhiteLine rear swaybar. I could not fit the swaybar into place without taking the Y pipe off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.