Bad strut advice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bad strut advice within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I lowered my 2008 WRX with the Eibach Pro Kit around 1-2 months ago. Since then, I have ...

Bad strut advice

Hey guys,

I lowered my 2008 WRX with the Eibach Pro Kit around 1-2 months ago. Since then, I have put about 1,500 miles on the car. Did an oil change today and realized my driver side strut was leaking fluid EVERYWHERE (to be specific a green fluid) along with grease I believe. To make a long story short, after I put the Eibach springs on, I noticed the driver side (now currently with a blown strut) was sagging more (1/2 inch) then the passenger side resulting in fender rub. At the time I seen no indication of the strut going bad, so I just went on with it. My question is, would you just replace it with a OEM strut? Was it a fluke that I was having issues with this strut before I even put the lowering springs on? Also, is it likely that my passenger strut will go bad and I just need to replace them both while I'm at it? I was just going to replace it with OEM and go on my way. I'm a college student, small budget, just looking for a replacement that will last for a good price. Thanks for any feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey Mitch...

I am still a newb but I am always learning.

I am just starting my suspension mods only having done the front and rear endlinks of my car thus far.

IMHO...and it is just my opinion...you made a mistake lowering your ride using a spring kit with the stock struts. The stock struts were likely okay until you introduced the spring kit into the picture. As I understand it, the stock setup pushes the struts to their maximum pretty much and ANY kind of an aftermarket spring will LIKELY ruin your struts pretty quick...even quicker if you have a heavy foot and push your car in and out of turns.

Truthfully...their is nothing wrong with Eibach springs...but you should consider a better spring and strut combo. Perhaps buy some KYB struts or something from RCE. I really would recommend against buying another OEM strut. It will NOT last with that Eibach spring kit.

If you have a small budget, look into the KYB struts. You already have springs...keep em, use em, but with a better strut. You could dig around to see what is good...but I have read and heard good things about the KYB stuff.

I am doing my rear sway bar next. one piece at a time. one day...I will need to lower my car as well...and the stock struts will be gone FOR SURE!!!!!

Cheers,

Blammo
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)

I believe the only lowering springs that are designed with OEM shocks in mind are the RCE blacks. That being said, the are able to work with the stock struts for 2009 and up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Stock struts typically blow on lowering springs, even with RCE blacks. Either way, short and sweet, go with some aftermarket struts for sure because OEM struts are not made to handle the lack of ride height lowering springs put you at. Essentially you will be throwing your money away as you would later need to buy yet another set of struts.

If you wanted some of THE BEST advice as to what the best strut is for your current springs, or the best strut and spring combo for your driving, gif Turn In Concepts a call. They are in Cincinnati but they ship parts anywhere. They are easily one of the best shops in the states in terms of suspension parts and knowledgeability of modified Subaru suspensions. Here is their website: Welcome to Turn In Concepts
    Last edited by McBill; 08-02-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: words
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Thanks for all the valuable information guys. From what I read when I bought them, they were designed "to work" with the OEM shocks. I know they accelerate the wear on them, but i figured since I did not autocross, or by any means drive my car hard AT ALL, I would be fine. If I would have known this, I would have never bought them at the time lol. It seemed to me just by the way it "sagged" after I put the Eibach spring on, it was already bad. But since I would be wasting my money as you guys said and replacing the OEM struts down the road, I will look into aftermarket.

What's the reason for lowering your car if you aren't making use of the lower center of gravity/handling capabilities by driving 'hard'?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    RCE Blacks - you guys heard wrong. They are just about as stiff as the yellows but just drop a little less.

There are plenty of springs made to pair with the stock struts. Those are NOT one.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    Thanks for all the valuable information guys. From what I read when I bought them, they were designed "to work" with the OEM shocks. I know they accelerate the wear on them, but i figured since I did not autocross, or by any means drive my car hard AT ALL, I would be fine. If I would have known this, I would have never bought them at the time lol. It seemed to me just by the way it "sagged" after I put the Eibach spring on, it was already bad. But since I would be wasting my money as you guys said and replacing the OEM struts down the road, I will look into aftermarket.
    The springs and the strut body itself are what set the height, not the damper. It sounds like something was wrong, like one of the springs was not the right one or something. That may have lead to the result with the blown strut.

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    What's the reason for lowering your car if you aren't making use of the lower center of gravity/handling capabilities by driving 'hard'?
    I have aftermarket 18's... without a drop it looks horrible imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    The springs and the strut body itself are what set the height, not the damper. It sounds like something was wrong, like one of the springs was not the right one or something. That may have lead to the result with the blown strut.
    Could very well be the issue. Any way I could determine this? I examined them really well before I put them in and they appeared to be exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyou tch08WRX View Post
    Could very well be the issue. Any way I could determine this? I examined them really well before I put them in and they appeared to be exactly the same.
    who did the spring swap on the struts for you? maybe they noticed that that something was just a bit wrong during install. your car is a 09? i have seen newer cars driven less have strut/shock failure around the 20-50, 000 mile mark here because of bad roads. maybe the lower dampener level from the lowering spring caused the seal to fail. regardless of what you do it seems likely your in for some new struts and a alignment afterward. need that for struts out and lowering kit anyway, its a good time for it.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    When you tear it apart, measure and compare everything side by side. Anything other than dead level after the install is not acceptable, and your drop after settling for a few weeks should be in line with the man. specs.

Personally, since you have to do struts now, I'd do it right and get something that will support the RCE line, preferably the blacks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Edit - just saw the budget considerations. I'd just get a pair of used stock struts and figure out what is up with the ride height - check the top hats and springs.

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    who did the spring swap on the struts for you? maybe they noticed that that something was just a bit wrong during install. your car is a 09? i have seen newer cars driven less have strut/shock failure around the 20-50, 000 mile mark here because of bad roads. maybe the lower dampener level from the lowering spring caused the seal to fail. regardless of what you do it seems likely your in for some new struts and a alignment afterward. need that for struts out and lowering kit anyway, its a good time for it.
    I did the install myself. The car is an 08 with 46k miles. I honestly think the strut was bad before I put the lowering kit in, but I'm not exactly sure. Either way yes, I need new struts.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Edit - just saw the budget considerations. I'd just get a pair of used stock struts and figure out what is up with the ride height - check the top hats and springs.
    Thanks for the help. I would love to buy the blacks but I can't be spending that money right now unfortunately. I know it will end up biting me in the end, should say screw it and just buy coil overs. Anyways, If I can find some used struts that would be perfect, otherwise I'm going to buy just 2 fronts. Could I get away with the 2009 WRX struts on my 2008? Should I just replace the defective strut only with OEM?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.