Bad strut advice - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Bad strut advice within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX Thanks for the help. I would love to buy the blacks but I can't be spending ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    Thanks for the help. I would love to buy the blacks but I can't be spending that money right now unfortunately. I know it will end up biting me in the end, should say screw it and just buy coil overs. Anyways, If I can find some used struts that would be perfect, otherwise I'm going to buy just 2 fronts. Could I get away with the 2009 WRX struts on my 2008? Should I just replace the defective strut only with OEM?
    Only buy OEM used. I think so on 2009 but am not sure at all. Just find out if they are the same part number or call a dealer parts department to ask.

If you want to replace them to "OEM" 08 2008 Subaru Impreza Strut Assembly - Suspension - KYB, Front Left, Front Right, Rear - PartsGeek
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Only buy OEM used. I think so on 2009 but am not sure at all. Just find out if they are the same part number or call a dealer parts department to ask.

If you want to replace them to "OEM" 08 2008 Subaru Impreza Strut Assembly - Suspension - KYB, Front Left, Front Right, Rear - PartsGeek
    Alright I will look to find a used set if I can. If not, do I buy both front's? (rather than have one strut different than all the others) from partsgeek. I don't really want to take a rather long period of time to find a set of used struts if I don't have too. I don't mind buying new off of partsgeek (in which you linked me) for a new passenger and driver side front strut. Honestly, I thought it was going to cost more than $190 for a pair, doing labor myself. Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, do for sure get both.

Hey guys, not sure if I can bring my thread back from the dead or not.. but I need more advice. As stated previously in this thread, I had a FRONT (driver side) that was lower than my passenger side, on my 2008 WRX AFTER (not sure about prior) installing the Eibach Pro Kit. Make a long story short, after I blew the strut on my driver side, I bought 2 brand new struts and swapped the spring's (to confirm that I did not have a bad or weak spring). After swapping the passenger-to-driver side spring and visa versa, the car sat normal from what it appeared. I thought the problem was magically fixed, apparently not. So now I still have the same issue, my front driver side is STILL significantly lower than my front passenger side. What else could this be? I am completely lost on where to go with this.. what else would result in the height? I really don't want to buy a set of new struts again haha. Thanks for any input!

Mitch

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know man. I am a total noob and no mechanical genius.

I have much to learn about the suspension do's and dont's with WRX and/or STi but I feel you are just throwing away money changing out OEM struts whether you get them for $5 or $500.

The OEM struts on WRX are maxed out in terms of what they can provide for you with the stock springs. That much I know and have read. When you introduce the aftermarket spring to the stock strut its just NO GOOD. Why even try? Doesn't matter if you buy RCE, Swift, or Eibach etc. Just because some label or ad says they will work with OEM struts, that does NOT mean they will work WELL or that they wont harm your OEM equipment.

Also, do NOT go buying 2009 suspension parts to put into the 08. From my understanding, the 09 setup is somewhat different from the 08. Of course, im NO expert and I could be misinformed but I have read that Subaru made changes to the 09 suspension from 08. Of course, due diligence on your part may prove im wrong.

Do yourself a favor and buy a good strong set of aftermarket struts bro. You won't regret the higher investment. You already paid for Eibachs...may as well support them with a decent strut so everything will be harmonious for you and your subie!

I hope you get it figured out.
    2009 WRX Sedan running on TOYO Observe G-02 Plus 205/50-17 (snowy)
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 91 LWG - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar) - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch w/ Exedy Lightweight Flywheel - Killer B Oil Pick-Up w/ Baffle - Perrin Transmission Mount - BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

Yeah I know what you mean, thanks for the reply regardless. I said I couldn't "comfortably" afford a set of 4 struts right at the moment and that's why I didn't get them. Honestly just looking for a solution, the car will be going down the road hopefully this time next year once I'm out of school and I plan on getting an STI. I know now to just but coilovers, higher cost but appear to be worth it in the long run.

I Support ClubWRX
    How did the tophats look? Are you sure there were no missing parts? It has to be resolved. Either the top hat is fubbered, the strut body perch is bent, or there is a control arm issue. I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shope and having them look it over.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    How did the tophats look? Are you sure there were no missing parts? It has to be resolved. Either the top hat is fubbered, the strut body perch is bent, or there is a control arm issue. I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shope and having them look it over.
    Top hats looked good, no missing pieces. Everything was normal when I swapped the springs and put new front struts on at first. Drove it around the block, felt nice and firm. Look 2 days later and still, the same issue, the driver side was lower. So it's obviously not a bad spring and how can it I from being good, back to bad..? I don't understand. I know a friend who has done alignments for the past 5 years, he had a couple other people look at it and they couldn't find anything either. So I had it re-aligned and what not again a couple days ago. Out of ideas, honestly. I have took the strut assembly out probably 6-7 times after fully installing them to try and correct the issue, nothing. I can have them in and out in under 10 min, I'm quite good at it now! lol. Thanks for the reply.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK, go park it somewhere level - really dead level and accurately measure it. What is the difference?

The more I think about it, the control arm isn't involved really. It is just between the spring, the strut body, and the tophat. Did you leave the springs swapped?

I took some pictures of the measurements and differences, in which I will provide below this post. To answer your question, the difference is even larger than I thought, a little under 1/2". The springs are swapped currently, I BELIEVE I even swapped the tophat's over aswell.. Obviously, same issue. Anways, take a look at the pictures if you wish. Thanks!

Front Passenger Side (Good Side): Curvature is perfect.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	162545

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	162553

Front Driver Side (Bad Side): Notice how the curvature suffers.

Name:	IMG_1252.jpg 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	162561

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	162569

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.