In need of some tire help
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

This is a discussion on In need of some tire help within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's up guys . I'm in need of some new tires. I currently have Bridgestone potenza g019 grind 205/50R17 These ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Wrxchick1676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    160

    In need of some tire help

    What's up guys . I'm in need of some new tires. I currently have Bridgestone potenza g019 grind 205/50R17

    These tires have terrible road noise and wear down quickly and slide in the bad weather esp the snow

    Any suggestions for some all season ,good tread wear ,little to no road noise on the performance side tires . I live in NJ so they have to be good in the snow also

    Thanks in advance

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    29
    best suggestion aside from answering what specific tires, have 2 sets of tires. one for the summer and one for the winter. Car is so much fun in the winter when you have true snow tires.

    what year is your vehicle? i have 09 and i think the stock size is 225/45R17. Maybe that's why your experiencing the noise??

  4. #3
    Registered User Wrxchick1676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by jayslee07 View Post
    best suggestion aside from answering what specific tires, have 2 sets of tires. one for the summer and one for the winter. Car is so much fun in the winter when you have true snow tires.

    what year is your vehicle? i have 09 and i think the stock size is 225/45R17. Maybe that's why your experiencing the noise??
    I have an 08 sedan

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    29
    ah ok ya 205/50-17 is stock size. I run Hankook tires in the summer, it's the only brand I've tried and I have 0 complaints.

  6. #5
    Registered User Wrxchick1676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by jayslee07 View Post
    ah ok ya 205/50-17 is stock size. I run Hankook tires in the summer, it's the only brand I've tried and I have 0 complaints.
    So funny you said that . That is the brand I'm getting . All season ones tho . Makes me feel better that you like them

  7. #6
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,547
    I Support ClubWRX
    All seasons will not even come close to comparing to snow tires in the winter, it's what they are designed for and they are phenomenal. They make all the difference. I, like anyone else, will suggest you run two sets of wheels and tires. But in the end it's your decision. One of the best all season tires out there are the Michelin A/S 3's. These tires dominate across the board in their category.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  8. #7
    Registered User A265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in a igloo
    Posts
    777
    As mentioned before, All season tires are known as no season tires. They don't offer good traction in the snow, and offer poor performance in warm conditions.

    A proper set of winter tires and summer tires is the way to go. Since you have a WRX a set of 16" steelies or even older 02-05 WRX wheels are a great option for winter.

    Then for summer you can get quality summer tires.
    I recommend the following.
    Summer.
    Budget: Cooper RS3-S
    Mid range: BFG Sport comp2
    Higher Budget: Micheline Pilot Super Sport
    All those tires are ~300 threadwear, so they will last a bit but have great traction.

    Winter
    Budget: General Altimax
    Mid range: I have no iea
    Balls to the wall awesome: Nokian Hakka's

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    All seasons will not even come close to comparing to snow tires in the winter, it's what they are designed for and they are phenomenal. They make all the difference. I, like anyone else, will suggest you run two sets of wheels and tires. But in the end it's your decision. One of the best all season tires out there are the Michelin A/S 3's. These tires dominate across the board in their category.
    100% agree with 2 sets of tires. I had all seasons when I first purchased my car years ago, and had some trouble in the snow. Immediately after I bought winter tires and never looked back. world of difference

  10. #9
    The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,910
    I Support ClubWRX
    I agree as well. I have 2 sets for my 13. Yokohama winter and Dunlop Summer.
    Once I wear out my stock tires I'm getting Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
    They seem to be the most popular. Even on my Moms Impreza this year I'm getting a second set for her car.
    We can get free tires for life from dealer, but they are bs all seasons she hates them. And I don't care for them either. Get 2 sets. You'll be glad you did.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

    2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

    My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

  11. #10
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,904
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    As mentioned before, All season tires are known as no season tires. They don't offer good traction in the snow, and offer poor performance in warm conditions.

    A proper set of winter tires and summer tires is the way to go. Since you have a WRX a set of 16" steelies or even older 02-05 WRX wheels are a great option for winter.

    Then for summer you can get quality summer tires.
    I recommend the following.
    Summer.
    Budget: Cooper RS3-S
    Mid range: BFG Sport comp2
    Higher Budget: Micheline Pilot Super Sport
    All those tires are ~300 threadwear, so they will last a bit but have great traction.

    Winter
    Budget: General Altimax
    Mid range: I have no iea
    Balls to the wall awesome: Nokian Hakka's
    Good suggestions. I'd put the Blizzaks in the mid range winter category. Nokian Hakka's as baller is totally the direction I'm going this winter

  12. #11
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,324
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd get winter performance tires for NJ - Pirelli Sottozero (I had the serie II but the 3 is out now).

    I'll never put full winters on again as they are way too much of a compromise on most cold days that are dry or wet. In the snow or ice they are only a slight advantage.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=181

    Eh, can't get this to format. 30 more feet for the Blizzak to stop in the wet, 10 more feet in the dry. No difference in acceleration or stopping on ice.

    Tire 50-0 mph Stopping Distance (feet) Cornering Traction (Lateral g's)
    Wet Dry Wet Dry
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 136.3 94.2 0.58 0.84
    Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D 105.9 91.9 0.75 0.88
    Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 105.4 88.8 0.76 0.89
    Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 106.9 85.6 0.78 0.90

    Tire 60' Acceleration (seconds) 12 - 0 mph Stopping Distance (feet)
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 4.972 33.0
    Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D 5.243 35.6
    Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 4.940 32.3
    Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 5.055 34.3
    Last edited by mycologist; 08-01-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  13. #12
    Registered User Wrxchick1676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    160
    Thanks for all the info . As. Much as I would like 2 sets of tires . My funds won't allow it and I have nowhere to store them. I am getting hankooks v2 concepts

    If by chance we have another crazy winter and the tires don't do well in the snow , I'll have to see about a winter set

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •