Subaru WRX Forum banner

Random light wheel vibration

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  McBill 
#1 ·
As the title states i have been getting light random wheel vibration under accleration. Now i did just get new wheels and tires (non hub centric) . Here are a few things i feel contribute to this.

1. I need an alignment ( im getting one this friday)
2. Light vibration only occurs under acceleration from 65-75.
3. Also happens when the car weight shifts slightly to the right(following highway curve)
4. Passenger rear wheel has a 1/4" flat spot on the inner lip of the rim (backside of rim, not even noticable to the eye you have to feel it)
5.Driver side rear wheel has all five lugs on it however one lug is torqued down on a partially stripped stud. (The stud will most definitely need replacing if i untorque the nut)
6. Wheels do not have hub centric rings ( wheel bore is 57.1 and ours is 56.1, i cant find a ring that small.)
7. Wheel pressure 34 psi at all corners (recommended pressure for 18x8 wheel on 235/40 tire)

Like i said previously i am getting an alignment this week. Hopefully that will almost make the vibration non existent, but is there anything i could be over looking. The tires seemed to be balanced properly, i would have considered road force balancing if i new at the time but i have also heard that sometimes it may not cure the issue. Any ideas on what i can do.

See less See more
#3 ·
Im afraid if i tighten the lugs anymore i will strip more studs. I used used my typical 3/8 driver and put a 2 foot pipe over the handle and tightened them an additional half a turn. I will do it again to make sure but the last thing i need is to strip another stud. It sucks enough that one is stripped because a grain of sand or dirt got into the thread.

#4 ·
If you are going to tighten them properly you need to use a torque wrench and tighten each lug to 70-75 ft/lbs. That will assure they are on there tight enough. Don't go just tightening with a breaker bar until it "feels right". That's how you sheer a lug stud. You need to make sure that you tighten them while the wheel is off the ground as well.

In terms of the vibration, to me this is one of two things: Your wheel is out of balance (not likely since you only experience this under acceleration); or your lugs aren't tight enough, you did not tighten them properly (or whoever put the wheels on last), you have a missing lug, or one or more of your studs are sheered.

Time to check and recheck.

#7 ·
Ok i will check the lugs asap and if that isnt the issue lets hope the alignment will assist me better. Now if that doesnt do it, last resort is remove all wheels, rebalance, replace the stripped stud which is absolutely last lol

#8 ·
Does the stripped stud happen to be on the wheel you are feeling the vibration from? IE. does the vibration come from the bottom of your seat (this indicates one of the rear two wheels)? Or is it something that you can feel in your steering wheel (this indicates one of the front two wheels)?

#9 ·
Its only from the steering wheel. Its not violent at all its actually as wierd as this sounds, the vibration is more or less like one of those small back massagers. I did check all my lugs and atleast 4 were in need of additional tightening. So all of them are good now with the exception of the rear driver wheel with the partially stripped stud. I will see how that pans out. I might actually get the stud replaced today anyway. I saw some youtube vids on it but a friend of mine can swap it out in about 45 min.

#10 ·
Got an alignment and rebalanced the just the front tires. Shaking got so much worse, the rear stripped stud is completely done now, and to top it off i already have a screw in my brand new tires. Im just going to take a hit and get another set of brand new wheels and have everything done right the first time. Im considering drag dr31s, they look like work crkai's. I found a brand new set for 410 shipped and that is 18x9 with a +15 offset. Does anyone think i will have rubbing issues on stock ride height?

#11 ·
Got an alignment and rebalanced the just the front tires. Shaking got so much worse, the rear stripped stud is completely done now, and to top it off i already have a screw in my brand new tires. Im just going to take a hit and get another set of brand new wheels and have everything done right the first time. Im considering drag dr31s, they look like work crkai's. I found a brand new set for 410 shipped and that is 18x9 with a +15 offset. Does anyone think i will have rubbing issues on stock ride height?

#12 ·
Found out the true problem, the wheel hub bore is too large for the our stock hub. I was under the impressions that the wheels were a 57.1 hub bore when in fact they are 72.6. So i just ordered poly carbonate hub rings and they will be in this week. If that doesnt help the vibration along with a rebalance of my wheels then i am just at a loss. I will take it a step at a time. I will put the rings on first then if that doesnt do i will get a rebalancing of the tires again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.