Sway Bars

This is a discussion on Sway Bars within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What is the best sized sway bar for a daily driver? I'm looking to get better handling with less body ...

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Sway Bars

What is the best sized sway bar for a daily driver? I'm looking to get better handling with less body roll. I'm trying to decide between a 20mm or a 22mm rear sway bar, going to go with kartboy end links. Looking for opinions.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'd go 22mm front (solid bar)/ 20mm rear.. or, if you prefer tighter steering, 24mm front and 22mm rear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I'd go 22mm front (solid bar)/ 20mm rear.. or, if you prefer tighter steering, 24mm front and 22mm rear.
    How much difference is there between 20mm and 22mm rear sway bar? Would it be dramatically different? I live in Boston so winter sux, does that factor in to bars size? What do you use?
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Bump
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

On snow/ice you may want to go with the softer option, although I'm not positive.. no snow here.

I have 24mm adjustable solid Whiteline bars front and rear. My personal preference is to run the stiffer setting in the front (effectively 26mm) and the middle setting in the rear (24mm). I feel that the stiffer setting may lose a little grip compared to having them on 24/22, but the steering is just so quick and responsive with it at 26 up front. I like how it drives a lot, not darty at all, but very tight. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference from the rear either way, but with the front bar a 2mm change is very noticeable. I suspect some of that is due to the fact that I don't currently have any chassis bracing in the rear, so the whole car flexes back there.

Keep in mind how stiff you should go highly depends on your other suspension modifications. If you run stiff swaybars on stock struts/springs you may start lifting the rear outside wheel under hard cornering. The stiffer your springs are (to a point) the stiffer you can get away with on the swaybars.

Also factor in the type of roads you typically drive on. Stiff swaybars reduce the ability of the wheels to act independently of each other. For example, people who go off roading often remove swaybars all together to help keep their tires on the ground. If your roads are rough you may want softer settings.. but if most of your roads are fairly flat, then stiff is okay.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's great info, thank you. I thing I'm going to go 22mm rear 24mm front. Rear will be done first what do you use for end links. Kartboy end links on Whiteline need the spacers right? Do they come with end links? Or do you purchase them separately? Also I have to wait for more money to get front ( injured clutch foot at work been out a year) does it make sense to swap stock front endlinks for KB or wait till I get front swaybar.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

They don't come with endlinks. I have Kartboy endlinks for mine, but they won't work right, even with spacers. Although I haven't seen anyone else having the issue I have with mine, so I'm not sure what's going on with it.. still need to get that sorted out.

I Support ClubWRX
    General census question. Looking to see who is running whiteline sway bars and Kartboy endlinks? Does anyone have fit issues with the 08-14 Wrx? I know I'll need the Kartboy spacers with end links. Anybody having trouble with that set up? And also if I can't replace front swaybar right away, should I put Kartboy endlinks on stock swaybar? Or is that not a good idea? Constructive opinions please.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    General census question. Looking to see who is running whiteline sway bars and Kartboy endlinks? Does anyone have fit issues with the 08-14 Wrx? I know I'll need the Kartboy spacers with end links. Anybody having trouble with that set up? And also if I can't replace front swaybar right away, should I put Kartboy endlinks on stock swaybar? Or is that not a good idea? Constructive opinions please.
    One vendor's ideas:

Swaybars & Endlinks - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

I recently put some Super Pro sways on (22 mm front and rear) with Kartboy endlinks. I initially had some clunks from the endlinks, but after I torqued them properly to 45 ft lbs, all's quiet.

The OEM endlinks were impressively rusted after a single Northeast winter (2013 WRX). Annoying to remove because the center bolts are held from rotating using a 5 mm hex key.

I know of no harm in putting new endlinks on the OEM bars. I have seen one post on another site that claimed a significant improvement with Kartboy endlinks with the factory bars, but I'm skeptical.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    One vendor's ideas:

Swaybars & Endlinks - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

I recently put some Super Pro sways on (22 mm front and rear) with Kartboy endlinks. I initially had some clunks from the endlinks, but after I torqued them properly to 45 ft lbs, all's quiet.

The OEM endlinks were impressively rusted after a single Northeast winter (2013 WRX). Annoying to remove because the center bolts are held from rotating using a 5 mm hex key.

I know of no harm in putting new endlinks on the OEM bars. I have seen one post on another site that claimed a significant improvement with Kartboy endlinks with the factory bars, but I'm skeptical.

I am the owner of an 09 WRX. I have had the KB front and rear endlinks on for two days now on the stock sways. I LOVE them!

They make a noticeable difference. It feels as though my sway bars actually do something now! Tighter steering and less roll. I did the fronts first...drove for a day...loved em!!! Threw in the rears the next morning. Not a peep or a squeak.

For me, the rears came with spacers. You need spacers for the rear whether you get aftermarket sways or not. How else can you keep the rear link in the lower control arm if it moves around. I will admit, I did not use the same spacer/washer arrangement for the rear links on either side though. The bottoms...yes...but the connection to the sway bar needed different spacer/washer requirements to have everything perpendicular and straight. I spent quite a bit of time on my install...but straightened and tightened myself and I know its working.

I love these links. Made a difference on stock sways. Contemplating the sways now, but enough roll has been eliminated for now that I am happy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Blammo
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for info guys. I think I'm going to get a whiteline 22 mm rear sway bar, and stick Kartboy endlinks on rear and stock front bar.
    What springs are you guys using with swaybars? I'm looking for a small drop, but not crazy stiff. New England winters are a bitch. Roads get pretty rough can only drop an inch or less, even after they settle. I'm going coil overs down the road, but looking for inexpensive upgrade suggestions to cut out body roll. Any input is always appreciated. Thanks again.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium