Multiple Wheel Size?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Multiple Wheel Size? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a set of used wheels and tires for the car. The new size is 18x8 +35 offset. ...

Multiple Wheel Size?

I just bought a set of used wheels and tires for the car. The new size is 18x8 +35 offset. My stock back tires are bald and definetly not safe. My question is can i run my new 18x8 with tires on the back for a short period, along with my stock 17x8 in the front. Only reason im doing this is because the profile of the new tires is a bit to much and i know i will rub the front splash guard when i turn. This was a rookie mistake because i never bothered to look at the tire size.
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. FMS tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Maddad Turboback. Tial mv-s ewg. Perrin Recirc Valve. Grimmspeed ebcs, crank pulley, and up-pipe. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. ACT HD clutch w/ lightweight flywheel. StopTech Club Kit ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r. Perrin front endlinks. Drag DR31 wheels 18x9 +15 offset. Nitto NeoGENS UHP all-seasons. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Absolutely not. Do not run two different tire sizes between front and back on ANY awd car. Even the slightest difference in circumference between the tires is damaging to the differentials.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I have 235/50/18 mounted on all four now. What if i use the 235/50/18's on the back and get 235/40/18's for the front. Would that still pose an issue. My problem is i bought these wheel from craigslist and i pretty much used my extra funds on this set. I made a dumb assumption thinking they would just fit. If run the same size wheel all the way around but run the 235/40's up front and 235/50's in the rear would that be an issue?
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. FMS tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Maddad Turboback. Tial mv-s ewg. Perrin Recirc Valve. Grimmspeed ebcs, crank pulley, and up-pipe. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. ACT HD clutch w/ lightweight flywheel. StopTech Club Kit ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r. Perrin front endlinks. Drag DR31 wheels 18x9 +15 offset. Nitto NeoGENS UHP all-seasons. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubiesaurusWRX View Post
    I have 235/50/18 mounted on all four now. What if i use the 235/50/18's on the back and get 235/40/18's for the front. Would that still pose an issue. My problem is i bought these wheel from craigslist and i pretty much used my extra funds on this set. I made a dumb assumption thinking they would just fit. If run the same size wheel all the way around but run the 235/40's up front and 235/50's in the rear would that be an issue?
    Yes that would still, definitely, be an issue. You shouldn't even run the same tires on all 4 wheels in which, say for example, the two front wheels had more than 2/32nds of an inch of difference in tread wear than the rears do. If that doesn't tell you how sensitive it is then I'm not sure what will. You NEED to be running the same tire size on all 4 wheels no matter what. So you need to either run the tires you bought, which it sounds like you will not be able to, or you need to buy a full set of different, preferably brand new tires all around.

I would suggest selling these tires and getting new ones before you put the new wheels on the car. And be sure to do some research and get tires that will fit this time. We all make mistakes, but it's our jobs to learn from these mistakes in that we don't make them again. Either way, good thing you checked up on here before you decided to slap those new shoes on!
    Last edited by McBill; 07-21-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: I forgot how to engrish
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Looks like there is a fairly significant difference in the circumference of the two tires. I would not run them together... just asking for center differential problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-07-21 09-09-11_Tire Dimensions Made Simple - Discount Tire.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	158281
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

Well its been decided. Pretty much better off buying new tires. I have the wheels up for sale anyway up on central new jersey craigslist. So the last thing i would need is for me to buy the tires and then someone gives me an offer. That would suck so bad. Another 400-500$ gone.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That offset is out of the recommended range for your WRX
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.