whiteline anti lift kit and caster/camber
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on whiteline anti lift kit and caster/camber within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've read that the ALK (antiliftkit) adds .5 positive caster. I want to know if this has an effect on ...

whiteline anti lift kit and caster/camber

I've read that the ALK (antiliftkit) adds .5 positive caster. I want to know if this has an effect on camber? does it give positive or negative camber in turns?

Do I need to get an alignment after installing an ALK? what are the numbers that I should have my alignment set to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It adds more toe than anything. So yes an alignment will be required. Plus, you'd want one anyway to dial in your specs.

What year/model do you even have?

Whatever alignment numbers you want should be based on what kind of driving you do. Any track days or autocross?

I have my 2012 WRX set to 0 toe and 0 caster...and as close to -1.5 all the way around. This is good for daily driving and still wanting good handling. It also won't kill tires as bad.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The additional caster provides a more aggressive camber curve especially as the wheel turns around the kingpin axis. This is the reason why the ALK improves vehicle turn in.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2014 wrx.

So, could I get even MORE caster? or is too much a bad thing? I took a few hard turns after installing the alk, I was so impressed with the difference it made. I am under the impression that caster can't be adjusted without a certain part, but camber and toe can be.

Given my increase in caster, how much negative camber should I have? I want good handling, but I also don't want too much tire wear. This car is a DD

-1.5 all around would be good for you as well...its difficult to get more than -0.5 in the rear without camber bushings, so search for those. They will help.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by disqimation
    2014 wrx.

So, could I get even MORE caster? or is too much a bad thing? I took a few hard turns after installing the alk, I was so impressed with the difference it made. I am under the impression that caster can't be adjusted without a certain part, but camber and toe can be.

Given my increase in caster, how much negative camber should I have? I want good handling, but I also don't want too much tire wear. This car is a DD
    This is a blanket statement, but IMO, there's no such thing as "too much caster" in what you can typically do with our vehicles.

You can't adjust caster in stock form. Come camber plates have the ability to adjust it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    This is a blanket statement, but IMO, there's no such thing as "too much caster" in what you can typically do with our vehicles.

You can't adjust caster in stock form. Come camber plates have the ability to adjust it.
    Critically the ALK with positive offset allows additional caster.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    Critically the ALK with positive offset allows additional caster.
    Sorry, dynamic adjustment, not static adjustment (like the ALK provides)...

UNYSOC

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Sorry, dynamic adjustment, not static adjustment (like the ALK provides)...
    True story Stan.

Facebook me here

Thanks for the responses. One more question: is it okay to have less camber in the front than the rear? If I can only get -.5 in the rear, would it be alright to set the front to -1 or -1.5? If it's okay, should I go with the -1 or -1.5

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by disqimation
    Thanks for the responses. One more question: is it okay to have less camber in the front than the rear? If I can only get -.5 in the rear, would it be alright to set the front to -1 or -1.5? If it's okay, should I go with the -1 or -1.5
    Camber is the angle in which the wheel is angled vs perpendicular to the road. The closer to 0, the "less" camber you have; -.5 is less camber than -1.0, the same way .5 is less camber than 1.

See below:
    Alignment basics

As a general rule, I prefer to have more negative camber up front vs the rear, if you're able to set the car up that way.

UNYSOC

I just had the ALK installed Friday and the difference its made in sharp cornering is HUGE. My caster is sitting at +7.0 both left and right.

Now the ugly... Since we're talking about camber, I'm going to chime in here.

Long story short, my rear camber is sitting at -2.9! The Whiteline rear camber bushings only allow for +/-0.75* of play. If I need more adjustment than that, what route can I go in terms of correction? Would adjustable rear control arms do the trick?? My car is a DD also used for autocross. I'm looking to get the rear camber decreased to -2.0 or less if possible.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Com-C front top hats are the perfect compliment for an ALK or otherwise are useful on their own to also increase caster and give more neg. camber potential. I'm not sure what years they are available for though, or even what year car we are talking about.

There is a good reason why ALK bumps you into high classes in AX.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    I just had the ALK installed Friday and the difference its made in sharp cornering is HUGE. My caster is sitting at +7.0 both left and right.

Now the ugly... Since we're talking about camber, I'm going to chime in here.

Long story short, my rear camber is sitting at -2.9! The Whiteline rear camber bushings only allow for +/-0.75* of play. If I need more adjustment than that, what route can I go in terms of correction? Would adjustable rear control arms do the trick?? My car is a DD also used for autocross. I'm looking to get the rear camber decreased to -2.0 or less if possible.
    Wow, that is strange. Is something bent or are bushings shot? Wrong strut bodies, tophats, or coilovers? Rear camber plates for the tops will easily pay for themselves in tires but it looks like they are hard to find for a '13. Adjustable control arms should do it too.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.