2015 winter wheels
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2015 winter wheels within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Wondering if anyone more wheel/tire savvy could help I know it's July but after this past winter in NY I'm ...

2015 winter wheels

Wondering if anyone more wheel/tire savvy could help

I know it's July but after this past winter in NY I'm thinking winter wheels already. I am currently running with the stock wheel tire setup 235/45/17 17X8

Loving them..

In an effort to save money I'm thinking about throwing some blizzacks (not sure exact tire size) on my old enkei rf-1 (17x7) and going with those for winter wheels. Any issues with the narrower tires on these 2015? I'm willing to sacrifice slight performance to avoid a ditch or 3... I did I test fit and the offset seems to clear. I'm new to the wrx game and never did to much with wheel setups before...i suppose a tpms rig up will also be in the works. Any advice out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

might be less expensive to throw a set of cheaper winters on your factory wheels. course...thats no fun, im looking for a winter wheel set too haha.

bolt patterns. where did i hear that the bolt pattern on the 15s were different? anyhoo. if you test fit the smaller wheel and you have clearance you shouldnt have any problems with a winter wheel setup. you will make up in grip from the dedicated snow tires any performance lost due to the size difference of the wheels. make double sure to test fit again after having a tire mounted to the smaller wheel(backspacing can get you if you Asume that the tire will fit because the wheel does...) but it sounds like your golden.

tpms. ohboy. if you want to spent the money(recomended btw..) to fit your winters with sensors it will cost you. how much? if i had to guess...50-75 bucks a sensor. this is a guess, i havent been within 100 yards of a 15 wrx/sti let alone worked on one yet lol. then whatever charge the dealer/shop/tire shop/tuner whoever does the work wants to program in the sensors to the car. or. you can take the bare wheels to your favorite tire place and have your new snows mounted up without sensors, pack them home, and install them your self. if you can live through the winter with whatever the 15's do when they dont detect the sensors and throw a code. my suburban just got brand new sensors because of the dinging. holy %$#@.

either way having a winter set will greatly increase the life of your tires(both sets) and your driving saftey in the winter. subaru awd aside, nuffin beats a set of snows...in the snow!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    The bolt pattern on the new WRX is 5x114.3 (previous generation WRX's had 5x100 bolt pattern), so as long as the enkei's you are planning on using have that bolt pattern and clear your brakes then you should be fine. I'd probably run a 225/45/17 tire on those. For winter a narrower tire is better, as it has less "float" effect when driving through snow. I've run blizzaks and they are fine tires. They are great for 1-2 winters, then go downhill. For what it is worth, I am going with Nokians this winter.

Also, you can find the TPMS sensors for fairly cheap. I got OEM equivalents for (I want to say around) $30ish/sensor. They are easy to have mated to the ECU at any local tire shop. Most will do it for free. I get it done for free at a local big name brand tire shop. Takes about 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post

tpms. ohboy. if you want to spent the money(recomended btw..) to fit your winters with sensors it will cost you. how much? if i had to guess...50-75 bucks a sensor. this is a guess, i havent been within 100 yards of a 15 wrx/sti let alone worked on one yet lol. then whatever charge the dealer/shop/tire shop/tuner whoever does the work wants to program in the sensors to the car. or. you can take the bare wheels to your favorite tire place and have your new snows mounted up without sensors, pack them home, and install them your self. if you can live through the winter with whatever the 15's do when they dont detect the sensors and throw a code. my suburban just got brand new sensors because of the dinging. holy %$#@.
    I'm not sure what it does when it doesn't detect them..I'm thinking the in dash display will display yellow according the user manual...that will drive me nuts as well! Plus in NY I am sure it is illegal to not have them installed....

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    The bolt pattern on the new WRX is 5x114.3 (previous generation WRX's had 5x100 bolt pattern), so as long as the enkei's you are planning on using have that bolt pattern and clear your brakes then you should be fine. I'd probably run a 225/45/17 tire on those. For winter a narrower tire is better, as it has less "float" effect when driving through snow. I've run blizzaks and they are fine tires. They are great for 1-2 winters, then go downhill. For what it is worth, I am going with Nokians this winter.

Also, you can find the TPMS sensors for fairly cheap. I got OEM equivalents for (I want to say around) $30ish/sensor. They are easy to have mated to the ECU at any local tire shop. Most will do it for free. I get it done for free at a local big name brand tire shop. Takes about 2 minutes.
    Bolt pattern fits the 114.5 setup with the hub spacer ring installed.

Where did you pick up the OEM equivs (link if you have it would rock)?

Also, I will have to look into Nokians I haven't even heard of them..if I am going to save money on wheels, i'd rather pick up a set of tires that will last a few seasons.

The enkeis are slightly road rashed from my "stupider driving days" so I going this route I am definitely thinking about spraying them darker or black. I'm not a fan of the brushed aluminum with the red car...and though I have had success plasti-dipping other things, I am hesitant to dip wheels...though I suppose it's not out of the questions

Hmmm. New York laws aside( because I don't know the lol) I do know it is illegal to do any work to a vehicle equipped with sensors that will disable the system in any way save for mounting a spare tire. But this reads like the mattress tag law. I can't. But all you did was bring me a set of wheels...I have no idea what they are going on so I didn't break any laws. ( and by I, I mean when I am working at the shop) if you mount wheels without sensors to your car, I'm good. I can even service, repair, whatever as long as you mounted the wheel Assembly's up. But you gotta tear the tag off yourself man. Lol. Would still recommend new sensors...just cause.

Nokian snow tires. I ran them exclusively on my trailblazer for eight years till it died. Six sets of meats. Their winter tires are top notch. I'd recommend them to anyone.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.