Suspension Noob Question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

This is a discussion on Suspension Noob Question within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I've searched here and NASIOC and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking to finally do ...

  1. #1
    Registered User WrxNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    173

    Suspension Noob Question

    Hey guys,

    I've searched here and NASIOC and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking to finally do my suspension upgrade on my 2014 hatch. I'm looking to do both the front and rear sways and endlinks, and i'm just wondering if there are any other parts I need for the install. Don't want to start it and realize 1/2 way in I'm missing some sh*t.


    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User tirerob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    bug-eyeing in the Bakken
    Posts
    1,031
    haha yup. i just did whiteline 22mm rear bar on my 02. id recomend starting with them, their stuff is awesome, and adjustable. if you want to do it in stages(because after driving the bar is a HUGE step up after stock) start with just the nice alloy endlinks, the gold ones if you get whiteline's. get those in front and rear and drive it. they made a nice difference on my older car by themselves. then if you want to drop in for the bars, go for it. mine came with bushings that fit in the stock cradles. and it will work with the factory endlinks too if you dont want to go that route first. so far, i only have the rear bar and big links....the difference is huge.


    edit. if you can borrow, rent, use a drive on rack(or a rack that keeps your suspension loaded while lifted, a drive on four post is easiest) it will make your install time drop by hours. i understand that they can be done on ramps....but im old and dont want to drop a huge amount of stuff to get the bar out. i actually didnt have to drop anything else but the bar. yours will be quite different but its the same in the respect of working under it. standing up room is awesome. also gets your eyes all over the under side of your car
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

    Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

  4. #3
    2009 WRX Sedan Blammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    134
    I Support ClubWRX
    Im also a newb in learning....LMAO

    anyways...I literally just got off the RSD website and ordered up my endlinks combo.

    I also can agree that it probably should be done in stages. for a start, I ordered up Kartboy front and rear endlinks.

    I am still pondering what kind of sways I want or really even need. I do hate the roll...but don't want to turn my car into a back spasm creator.

    I recently invested in ramps as well. I have a pair.

    I sure wish I could borrow or even rent shop space and get under my car. I am going to have to attempt the install on my own with the ramps.
    - Nav Mittal

    2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)

  5. #4
    Registered User tirerob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    bug-eyeing in the Bakken
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    Im also a newb in learning....LMAO

    anyways...I literally just got off the RSD website and ordered up my endlinks combo.

    I also can agree that it probably should be done in stages. for a start, I ordered up Kartboy front and rear endlinks.

    I am still pondering what kind of sways I want or really even need. I do hate the roll...but don't want to turn my car into a back spasm creator.

    I recently invested in ramps as well. I have a pair.

    I sure wish I could borrow or even rent shop space and get under my car. I am going to have to attempt the install on my own with the ramps.
    End links on ramps are easy. Easier in a garage... On ramps. Done with a couple of wrenches. You'll love the new links. They will say(and mine drives like it) that using the new end links doesn't get you more, just quicker access to the factory sway bars. Takes the flex out of those laughable plastic parts. I only have rears and noticed a difference. With both it should be awesome. You might not even want bars...

    My car is already becoming a buster....everything bushing except for the transverse links are replaced with upgrades. and it still rides good...just not over pot holes haha
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

    Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

  6. #5
    2009 WRX Sedan Blammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    134
    I Support ClubWRX
    hey tirerob,

    this is good information bro!!!!

    I got wrenches...a garage...ramps...expecting the endlinks by Friday...im gonna have some fun this weekend!!!!

    will post up my results. I hope I don't want bars...will save me some dough...HAHAHAHA!!!

    one upgrade at a time. since you put the word "easy" on the job description...I will tell myself...at worst...this will be only medium challenge for me!!!

    wow...so you have upgraded a lot of components. what about the steering rack bushing upgrade? did you do that one? was it worth it? and if so, was it a hard job? I read somewhere I have to take the dash of my car?!

    I wont EVER tackle a job like take the dash off. I might even pull that off...getting it off...its the rest where I will fail....lose a fastener...forget what goes where...I will have a real problem then...


    cheers,

    blammo
    - Nav Mittal

    2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)

  7. #6
    Registered User WrxNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    173
    Rob,

    Yea, I 'm looking at Whiteline 24/22 sways and endlinks. My thought would be, since I probably won't be doing it myself, it would be easier in the long run to get all the parts, and let a shop do them. Never really thought about doing the endlinks on their own.
    I'm almost certain I would need an alignment after doing the sways, but if I'm just doing the endlinks, do I still need an alignmen

  8. #7
    Registered User tirerob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    bug-eyeing in the Bakken
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by WrxNate View Post
    Rob,

    Yea, I 'm looking at Whiteline 24/22 sways and endlinks. My thought would be, since I probably won't be doing it myself, it would be easier in the long run to get all the parts, and let a shop do them. Never really thought about doing the endlinks on their own.
    I'm almost certain I would need an alignment after doing the sways, but if I'm just doing the endlinks, do I still need an alignmen
    Actually...the Only reason you should need a alignment is if you have horrible tire wear, or you want custom numbers. Which I would recommend reading up on the alignment threads. Read A lot lol its really complex and can mess with your car if done wrong. Just dropping the anti sways and end links will not require a alignment and can be done at the house on ramps. However if you have a shop do them have them install the sways first before test driving before the alignment. Its going to change how the car drives after all and might change how the tech working on your car changes the alignment numbers. I know the shop I work at would charge about a hour to 1.5 to do the sways and that's 90-150 bucks in you pocket you can put towards the alignment costs. Thankfully you can't mess up anything with the alignment by removing/reinstalling the sway bars.

    Blammo....hahahahaha!!!! Easy? Yea the end link jobs are easy. Take the old ones off(2bolts). Put the new ones on with the new hardware, the white lines I got came with great new stuff. Your car is seven years newer than mine so you shouldn't run into the problems I did during my first upgrade, which was bushings only. If I could do it again...I'd pitch the rusted in bolt bstrds right thru the shop doors into the street. There's pics in my build thread somewhere but it was a mess. Just replacing them like I just did would have been the best. I just crawled under my car(no ramps hahaha) with a handful of wrenches and went to town on my lunch hour. Done. So glad!

    As far as the rack bushings? That's one I haven't tackled yet. Not to hard on my 02... Think the timc will have to come out for reach but dash out? Errk...for the benefit I'm passing those up. Might have to check alignment after...you are changing slightly the position of the rack n pinion. I've only ever removed a hole dash for one reason and that was a blown heater core in my old camaro. Can't think of too many other reasons to. Personally...if that's what it takes for those two little bushings? Hellno. Lol. Your new sway bars will be adjustable. Kick em up a notch to the middle setting and you have gained more than those bushings will get you. I think.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

    Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

  9. #8
    Registered User WrxNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Actually...the Only reason you should need a alignment is if you have horrible tire wear, or you want custom numbers. Which I would recommend reading up on the alignment threads. Read A lot lol its really complex and can mess with your car if done wrong. Just dropping the anti sways and end links will not require a alignment and can be done at the house on ramps. However if you have a shop do them have them install the sways first before test driving before the alignment. Its going to change how the car drives after all and might change how the tech working on your car changes the alignment numbers. I know the shop I work at would charge about a hour to 1.5 to do the sways and that's 90-150 bucks in you pocket you can put towards the alignment costs. Thankfully you can't mess up anything with the alignment by removing/reinstalling the sway bars.
    Alright, that's great to know. I would love to be able to do it myself, just lack of ramps/shop being the issue. If by any chance you live in Milwaukee and wanna help me out, I wouldn't decline and would supply the beer.

  10. #9
    Registered User tirerob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    bug-eyeing in the Bakken
    Posts
    1,031
    Love to! Its a bit of a road trip from here haha . I live right on the Montana/ north Dakota/Canada border. Might as well be mars lol
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

    Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

  11. #10
    Registered User WrxNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Love to! Its a bit of a road trip from here haha . I live right on the Montana/ north Dakota/Canada border. Might as well be mars lol
    Ehh, just what a day, day and a 1/2 drive. That's gotta be a nice area to live. Hunting year round I assume.

  12. #11
    Registered User degobah77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    410
    I'm thinking of trying the install myself for my Eibach anti-sway bar kit and Kartboy endlinks if I can find a drive-way and some ramps/jacks.

    There's got to be DIY videos posted somewhere, but where would I start, drop the old sway bar and endlinks first, install the new endlinks on each side, then attach the new sway bar? I've also heard the front is easier than the rear? I don't wanna cripple my car somehow and I'm REALLY new to this.
    Not so much anymore.

  13. #12
    Registered User WrxNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I'm thinking of trying the install myself for my Eibach anti-sway bar kit and Kartboy endlinks if I can find a drive-way and some ramps/jacks.

    There's got to be DIY videos posted somewhere, but where would I start, drop the old sway bar and endlinks first, install the new endlinks on each side, then attach the new sway bar? I've also heard the front is easier than the rear? I don't wanna cripple my car somehow and I'm REALLY new to this.
    I was looking at Eibach, but from what I've read here, Whiteline sways are better and worth the extra $. Here's a sticky for the rear install Rear Sway Bar/EndLinks Install. From what I thought I heard, the front is the bigger PITA.

    Let me know what you think when you do them.

  14. #13
    Registered User tirerob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    bug-eyeing in the Bakken
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by WrxNate View Post
    Ehh, just what a day, day and a 1/2 drive. That's gotta be a nice area to live. Hunting year round I assume.
    Lol! Day drive just to the west side of the state haha 12 hours at 75-80. We have some nice upland bird(pheasant s) antelope and deer. Some coyotes. Hunt traction in the winter hahahahaha
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

    Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

  15. #14
    Registered User degobah77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by WrxNate View Post
    I was looking at Eibach, but from what I've read here, Whiteline sways are better and worth the extra $. Here's a sticky for the rear install Rear Sway Bar/EndLinks Install. From what I thought I heard, the front is the bigger PITA.

    Let me know what you think when you do them.
    I looked at both but got the Eibachs for 30% off. I figured a bar is a bar, and the endlinks were the most important thing, costing almost as much as the bars themselves!

    The WRX shop here wants to charge me $230 for everything...which is doable, but I can get more mods if I do it myself...
    Not so much anymore.

  16. #15
    Registered User WrxNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Lol! Day drive just to the west side of the state haha 12 hours at 75-80. We have some nice upland bird(pheasant s) antelope and deer. Some coyotes. Hunt traction in the winter hahahahaha
    Lol, alright, so just a little bit of a drive! Hahaha, WI winters might not be as bad, but the hunting (at least in my area) isn't as good as yours either. Would love to hunt antelope/coyotes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •