Suspension Noob Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Suspension Noob Question within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by degobah77 I looked at both but got the Eibachs for 30% off. I figured a bar is ...

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I looked at both but got the Eibachs for 30% off. I figured a bar is a bar, and the endlinks were the most important thing, costing almost as much as the bars themselves!

The WRX shop here wants to charge me $230 for everything...which is doable, but I can get more mods if I do it myself...
    True, I guess I wasn't thinking of it that way. Yikes, I haven't looked around me to see what the cost is, but I assume it can't be that far away from what you were quoted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I looked at both but got the Eibachs for 30% off. I figured a bar is a bar, and the endlinks were the most important thing, costing almost as much as the bars themselves!

The WRX shop here wants to charge me $230 for everything...which is doable, but I can get more mods if I do it myself...
    For installation of the sways and a alignment that's not a bad price. Actually quite good
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

No alignment, I thought you didn't need an alignment? That price is just for the parts install. If there's an alignment issue, I'll have them do it, if not, I'm gonna try to do it myself.
    Not so much anymore.

Ohh...yea there's no alignment issues. That's how much we would charge With a alignment lol. Guess our prices are a bit less haha. I'd charge a couple of sodas and maybe a double cheeseburger.... Not quite peanuts lol. Get some diy! Yaya 250 bucks is half way to a major mod!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

Um, apologies to the mods...that was a little close to me sounding like I was fishing for work. I'm just a mechanic at a local shop haha. I'll blurp it if I crossed a line.

As far as the difference between the white line and eibach bars...I don't think the eibach's are adjustable.... But that's not a bad thing at all. Less adjustment, less to go wrong right? Maybe hit up Google and read reviews on them. We know what the white lines are like (woohoooooo! Lol). I'd think you will love either set of bars with the kartboy end links. But if you get a wild hair and decide to go tracking..the white lines can be turned up a bit. That's about all I got. That how to thread is nice to. Its a bit more work on yours than mine but still diy-able for sure
    Rob

The Eibachs are adjustable. Hard and soft.
    Not so much anymore.

Noice! Well then...grab some mean red gear. That's cool. Eibach had more than a few things covered on my camaro. Great stuff.
    Rob

Hey, I read that sway bar installation can affect alignment unless there's normal load on the suspension? So I guess I need ramps instead of jack stands.

And jellybean had to use a crapton of spacers to keep his endlinks perpendicular, but I don't see anywhere else where spacers are needed unless the car has been lowered? Should I buy spacers (or washers) just in case?
    Not so much anymore.

Hey, I read that sway bar installation can affect alignment unless there's normal load on the suspension? So I guess I need ramps instead of jack stands.

And jellybean had to use a crapton of spacers to keep his endlinks perpendicular, but I don't see anywhere else where spacers are needed unless the car has been lowered? Should I buy spacers (or washers) just in case?
    Not quite sure, but my thought would be to get washers just in case. Or at least be prepared to run to Home Depot if need be.

This.^ I wouldn't go washer crazy until you are sure you have a fitment issue.
    Rob

Well... My phone isn't as smart as it thinks it is. Buggered that all up.

Unless you have a drive on rack, yeah you'll need ramps. I'd bet that it would be a pain in the rear to install the bars with the suspension dropped (jack lifting). It might not even be possible to connect the end links to the bar if it drops far enough. As far as alignment is concerned... I would think as soon as the car is driven for a while and the bars settle in your alignment will be right back to normal. Its really hard to mess up the alignment unless you are loosining bolts you shouldn't be hahaha
    Rob

My first DIY.

I installed the rear sway bar. Took about 2 hours, wasn't too bad. Took a test drive, very dramatic improvement. Rears on their firmest setting. Nice, solid turns, minimal roll. Was so damn proud of myself I decided to tackle the front sway bar. 3 hours later I get everything back on.

It's almost dark so I take it for a quick test drive - terrible clunking from the front over bumps and sometimes when turning. No time to take everything back off to check, but I'm pretty sure I didn't torque the endlink bolts correctly - I just read it's 40ft/lbs for top bolt and 35ft/lbs bottom bolt - nope, didn't do that.

Unfortunately, I don't have space or tools to do any work until Tuesday. The burning question is this, is the car safe to drive for a day or 2 before I can get it back up on a ramp and retorque everything?

Edit; btw, night and day handling improvement, totally worth the price and all the knuckle busting and cursing - I drew blood first, but then my buddy gave himself a nice welt when he slammed the end of the torque wrench right into his forehead...
    Last edited by degobah77; 07-19-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    Not so much anymore.

My first DIY.

I installed the rear sway bar. Took about 2 hours, wasn't too bad. Took a test drive, very dramatic improvement. Rears on their firmest setting. Nice, solid turns, minimal roll. Was so damn proud of myself I decided to tackle the front sway bar. 3 hours later I get everything back on.

It's almost dark so I take it for a quick test drive - terrible clunking from the front over bumps and sometimes when turning. No time to take everything back off to check, but I'm pretty sure I didn't torque the endlink bolts correctly - I just read it's 40ft/lbs for top bolt and 35ft/lbs bottom bolt - nope, didn't do that.

Unfortunately, I don't have space or tools to do any work until Tuesday. The burning question is this, is the car safe to drive for a day or 2 before I can get it back up on a ramp and retorque everything?

Nice! Great job on diy! I just put my front end links on today. If you have bad clunking and you put Any amount of wrench tight on those end links...I'd almost check the chassis mount. If that bushing isn't tight it will bang the mount against the frame...bang bang. Will be really noisy. Worse case you could ruin a mounting bolt. Quick trip to the hardware store. Hoping just a quick twist with a wrench or socket and your good.
    Rob

Cool, I'll just take 'er easy until I can get back underneath. Pretty sure I didn't torque ANYthing properly on the front end...I could barely feel my right arm, just kinda wussed out.
    Not so much anymore.

Yup. Keep a ear on it and a light grip on the wheel, you will know if anything changes put your eyes on it. Worse case you can take a few seconds and crawl under with a flashlight and check before you drive around just for peace of mind. Haha I've been wrenching so long I have calibrated wrists. I'll be double checking my torques later with a torque wrench but that's just something I do. Put it back together, drive and test...drive some more. Then recheck just to be sure. I'm kinda ocd that way lol but I fix peoples cars for a living. Guess its a good ocd.
    Rob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast