New Brake Callipers
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Brake Callipers within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I am new to the site so hopefully I am posting this question in the right place. I ...

New Brake Callipers

Hey guys, I am new to the site so hopefully I am posting this question in the right place.
    I bought a 2010 wrx a few months ago, and I just ordered some new wheels for it (57DRs). I am really excited about the wheels but my issue is that I think my brakes are going to look terrible now that I have nice wheels. I loved the brakes on the 06/07 wrx because they were powder coated and just looked way better. I don't want to powder coat my current ones, as based on the research I've done it can cause issues and they need to be completely taken apart. So my idea now is that maybe I could just buy a set of 06/07 callipers from the dealer (or used) and install those. However, I am wondering if anyone else has done this and how easy/difficult it would be? Will they fit just the same on stock rotors? The 06/07's had slightly larger rear rotors than the 2008+ wrx models so I wasn't sure if I'd need to buy larger rear rotors…
    I considered an STi brake upgrade, but I have to put the stock wheels back on for the winter and I know they won't clear those… so that option is out.
    Thoughts or suggestions??
    Thanks
    Last edited by Brittney; 07-02-2014 at 09:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There are enough options to make the upgrade work.
    First, if a big-brake setup is what you are after, there are a lot of low profile large calipers.
    Some will even safely clear a 17" wheel.
    If you are more interested in the brakes being massive and powerful and less concerned about the wheel style, you might consider 18" wheels. Nearly all BBK systems fit under most 18" wheelsets.

You also have a few options that aren't so radical:

Legacy caliper adapters and a rotor upgrade,
    Pads/Lines/Rotors/Fluid upgrade,
    Brake Master Cylinder Brace (Perrin/GrimmSpeed/Cusco)

^those are more budget oriented, but still lend a boost to stopping force.

I'm not so much interested in bigger brakes for right now (though I wouldn't mind if the rears were a bit larger) I would just like brakes that look better and aren't so stock looking. If they perform better too that is a bonus for sure. My car is a daily right now, so the brakes perform alright for street driving. My new wheels are 17" as well.

Is this what you mean by the legacy calliper adapters?: LEGACY 2.5 GT - 4-pot caliper / Adapter / Brake pads

Also - those adapters will fit a wrx? Is the cylinder brace necessary?

Yes, with regard to the adapters.
    The brace isn't necessary, but it makes a noticeable difference in how crisp and solid the pedal feels.
    That's really what it does.

Okay, makes sense. That sounds like a pretty good option for what I am after, thanks for the help.

The two largest upgrades you can do on your brakes within stock sizes are pads and fluid. The difference in performance between slotted/drilled and solid rotors is negligible, if not worse for the 'upgrade' parts. Stainless brake lines make a huge difference in how the pedal feels, and good fluid will have a higher boiling point, so therefore it will perform better in performance driving situations.

Glad to help. I went from stock to show and track by learning here.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.