Continental DW Summer Tire
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Continental DW Summer Tire within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi folks, I have just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. I am gonna go back to 225/45-17 ...

I Support ClubWRX

Continental DW Summer Tire

Hi folks,

I have just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. I am gonna go back to 225/45-17 as I was told in another thread that the 235's I currently am running on my stock 7" rim is actually not a good thing, throwing off my speedo(small percentage) and making my suspension work harder than really needed.

Does anybody have any experience with these? I have found threads pertaining to the DWS tires, but I am not one of the All season guys. I have dedicated winters with separate rims.

I need and want a good performing summer tire. NO TRACK. NO HEAVY USAGE. Just daily driving and some weekend bruising.

I have already ordered and paid for them, but was hoping some peeps here may be able to assure me its at least a decent tire. The guys at the local tuning shop said they have sold a lot of them and people are happy with them. Gonna get them mounted on or before July 11.

Cheers,

Blammo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the conti dw and I love em.

Have about 3000 on mine. So far so good quiet, great grip in the rain and seem to do well in the twisties

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks fellas for the replies.

Cant wait to get sticky again. Im down to the wear bars on my stock dunlops...and they slip everywhere now.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well...

I ended up putting these tires on a couple weeks ago and they are starting to break in now. They were a bit testy at first...but they do have very good grip. In my own experience, I did enjoy the stock tires more though. I think the Conti DW is a good tire, but the stock Dunlop SP01 Sports were better.

It recently rained pretty good and I took my car for a power rip in the rain and while I am impressed with the traction...its pretty good...the stock Dunlops did perform even better.

Overall, I would NOT buy this tire again. I got a good price and I can see why. I am not disappointed, but not blown away or anything. I think they are relatively quiet...but my Dunlops were quieter.

This was my first time replacing the tires...my Dunlops lasted a long time....and I wasn't sure what was good and what wasn't. Also, my budget was a bit tight.

Thanks for the replies 13WrXx and dtraill27.

Cheers
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar) - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch w/ Exedy Lightweight Flywheel - Killer B Oil Pick-Up w/ Baffle - BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    Well...

I ended up putting these tires on a couple weeks ago and they are starting to break in now. They were a bit testy at first...but they do have very good grip. In my own experience, I did enjoy the stock tires more though. I think the Conti DW is a good tire, but the stock Dunlop SP01 Sports were better.

It recently rained pretty good and I took my car for a power rip in the rain and while I am impressed with the traction...its pretty good...the stock Dunlops did perform even better.

Overall, I would NOT buy this tire again. I got a good price and I can see why. I am not disappointed, but not blown away or anything. I think they are relatively quiet...but my Dunlops were quieter.

This was my first time replacing the tires...my Dunlops lasted a long time....and I wasn't sure what was good and what wasn't. Also, my budget was a bit tight.

Thanks for the replies 13WrXx and dtraill27.

Cheers

Thanks for the review. A few months ago I got an irreparable puncture in one of my stock Dunlops. They had 20k miles on and weren't even half worn, so I was pretty gutted at having to fork out any money on new tires. I opted for the cheap but fairly highly-rated Bridgestone RE760 Sports. I'm regretting it. At cold temperatures - and I mean below 65f - it's as if they flat spot just from sitting overnight. For about a mile each morning, the vibration I feel through the car is just horrible. It quickly gets much better, but there's a very slight vibration through the steering wheel at high speed that never goes away. And yes, I've been back to the shop to have them rebalanced but I don't think that's the problem. If it was, the vibration wouldn't be affected by temperature and it wouldn't get better after a mile. I've also checked and rechecked the pressures. These tires also follow the camber of the road and tram line in truck tire depressions on the freeway much more than the stock Dunlops. I can't say I've noticed a difference in dry cornering grip. As for wet, well, it hasn't rained in the months since I bought the tires and I don't expect to see any until November. So wet weather performance isn't a concern for me.

I'm still debating whether to go back to my tire shop and have them fit the alternative tire I was considering at the time (and should have gone with); the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I think they'd give me something back for the Bridgestones. I'm just trying to tell myself I can live with it for now. But at least I know not to try the Continentals... so, thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem. I take a lot of information from this forum and it is nice to give back and help another member make an informed decision...especially with something as crucial as tires.

Funny...I also wanted the Michelin Super Sports originally. For a matter of $35/corner...I cheaped out and got the Conti's. I am such an idiot sometimes I really wonder how I have even come this far. LMAO!!!!

Lesson learned though!

Cheers,

Blammo
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar) - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch w/ Exedy Lightweight Flywheel - Killer B Oil Pick-Up w/ Baffle - BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.