Need suspension advice for my 09 WRX

This is a discussion on Need suspension advice for my 09 WRX within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So as I head towards going Stage 2...my money is already being saved to upgrade the stock crap suspension. Seems ...

I Support ClubWRX

Need suspension advice for my 09 WRX

So as I head towards going Stage 2...my money is already being saved to upgrade the stock crap suspension.

Seems just about all owners experiences parallel mine. TOO MUCH roll and TOO MUCH bounce.

So...I have been reading here for days in this area of the forum and feel more confused about what to do before I started thinking about it. LMAO!!

I know I will never race at a track. I know I need some changes. I am adding some horsepower in a few days.

So...first thing, will be rims and tires. I am in the process of sourcing what I need and want. I know this will be the best mod to start with.

Second, I want a lower, less roly-poly ride. Lowering is not important to me though.

I need advice on what components to buy. I don't think I need coilovers.

I have seen the RCE Yellow springs advertised on RSD website. Are the good? They say they are designed to work with the Bilstein dampers. I could not find the dampers on their site. Anyone care to elaborate or perhaps someone has these. As well, they have 0 struts for sale. Who is then the best supplier of struts?

I am confused as to what a damper is and what a strut is. To my understanding, if I buy any aftermarket springs, I will invariably ruin my stock struts. I would like to avoid that. I have read that RCE springs with "Koni inserts" will be a good buy. Ok...but what then are inserts?

I apologize for how noob or dumb I sound, but I have no suspension knowledge at all. Just what I have gathered from reading countless threads in this forum.

I am completely stock for now. In the coming 2 months I plan to save and do the following:

1. Rims and tires
    2. Front and rear swaybars (im pretty sold on the 24mm front and 22mm rear as a kit by Whiteline)
    3. Front and rear endlinks (also sold on the Kartboy sold as a kit)
    4. Springs/struts combination (need a lot of advice here as well as elaboration on what dampers and inserts are)

Thanks for any replies I may get.

Blammo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well basically it's best to avoid lowering or sport springs since I know way to many people whose struts don't work with the new springs even my own. But I also know people who run springs with stock struts as happy as can be. Here's a link to what a damper is since its kind of weird to explain off hand. HowStuffWorks "Dampers: Shocks" but a strut encloses the spring and the damper and compresses the spring. When you get a sport or lowering spring it basically has a different rate of compression "stiffer" and the strut has to close on the spring tighter since it is shorter giving you a lower ride height. But sometimes the (since each car is different how they respond yours might do fine I'm just saying how mine reacted) strut won't fully screw down and the new springs won't work. So I lost a bundle of $ and now am waiting to buy coilovers so I replace everything. The strut the damper the spring. And won't have the same issues. If you want a good cheap coilover look to tein on Rallysportdirect or Megan racing they have a set both around 700-800 dollars. Hope that answers everything

I Support ClubWRX
    The first thing I did to reduce body roll and improve handling was upgraded front and rear sway bars and endlinks. Upgrading those is one of the best bang for your buck suspension mods. For springs, there are very few aftermarket springs that will work with stock struts. RCE blacks are supposed to be designed to be used with them, but that's about it and even then, it isn't ideal from what I've read. Once you change the spring rates and lower the vehicle (even slightly) the stock struts usually wear very quickly and end up failing. A solid option is to get the Koni inserts when you do a spring upgrade. When my stock struts wore out at about 80000 miles, I upgraded to COBB springs, Koni inserts, and Whiteline COM-C top hats. Check my build thread for a bit more info on them and why I went with what I did. Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure you'll get more good info.

BTW, good to see another silver '09
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    D2WRX and wrx650,

Thanks for the replies. In fact, your input does help as you have shared working experiences. I appreciate it.

I am really growing to love this forum as much as I am falling in love with my car.

Basically, from what I have gathered, I should NOT do all these mods at once. I am glad I posted on here before ordering a bunch of stuff I don't really need right NOW.

My car has just under 60,000miles on her. Struts and springs all seem to be in the same working order they were in when I bought the car originally (22,000miles).

I think I will invest good money on good tires. I suppose I will not buy rims. I wanted to get into 18" wheels but my tuner guy said that requires lowering after and I think I don't really need that. I think for now my 17" stockers will have to suffice. I am currently running them with 235/45-17 Dunlop Sport SP01. They are very close to the wear bars now.

I have some tire knowledge, but what do you run? Any others with good tire input?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Seems tire rack is the way to go.

I know my car and rims are supposed to ride on 225/45-17 but I have the 235's. Have I been hurting my suspension in any way because of this? Never had a problem. I now feel that buying 225's would be a downgrade at this point. My rims and car seem to be okay with the 235's. Anybody with the same setup?

For whatever reason, when I bought the car, I complained about the tires being too worn, so they agreed and swapped them out for me. They delivered the car with 235's.

Thanks again guys.

Blammo

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    D2WRX and wrx650,

Thanks for the replies. In fact, your input does help as you have shared working experiences. I appreciate it.

I am really growing to love this forum as much as I am falling in love with my car.

Basically, from what I have gathered, I should NOT do all these mods at once. I am glad I posted on here before ordering a bunch of stuff I don't really need right NOW.

My car has just under 60,000miles on her. Struts and springs all seem to be in the same working order they were in when I bought the car originally (22,000miles).

I think I will invest good money on good tires. I suppose I will not buy rims. I wanted to get into 18" wheels but my tuner guy said that requires lowering after and I think I don't really need that. I think for now my 17" stockers will have to suffice. I am currently running them with 235/45-17 Dunlop Sport SP01. They are very close to the wear bars now.

I have some tire knowledge, but what do you run? Any others with good tire input?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Seems tire rack is the way to go.

I know my car and rims are supposed to ride on 225/45-17 but I have the 235's. Have I been hurting my suspension in any way because of this? Never had a problem. I now feel that buying 225's would be a downgrade at this point. My rims and car seem to be okay with the 235's. Anybody with the same setup?

For whatever reason, when I bought the car, I complained about the tires being too worn, so they agreed and swapped them out for me. They delivered the car with 235's.

Thanks again guys.

Blammo

A very solid tire choice is the Cooper Zeon RS3-S. It is popular tire for people on here and I have them myself and I am very happy with them. They have a lot of grip and are a great value. The 2009 WRX wheel is a 17x7 and a 235 is a bit wide for that size wheel. For instance, the Cooper Zeon RS3-S in 235/45/R17 is specified to be used with a wheel that is 7.5-9 inches wide. The 225/45/R17 is specified to be used with a 7-8.5 inch wide wheel. It is a marginally narrower wheel and I doubt that it would make much of a difference in handling, but it will make your speedometer and odometer read correctly. The sidewall height is different between the two of them and this will effect the speed that you car shows and the odometer reading by a couple of percent. Your speedometer will read low. Just a couple of things for thought.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html