Sway Bars and daily driving - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Sway Bars and daily driving within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Cyoplasm I can get the Koni/Rce combo for almost the exact price as a set of Stance ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyoplasm View Post
    I can get the Koni/Rce combo for almost the exact price as a set of Stance coils.. I like the adjustability and rebuild factor just as much as I like ride comfort.

If you don't mind poor ride comfort, poor handling, loud noises every time you hit a bump, and constantly having to tear your suspension apart to rebuild them, then I guess that's an option (but you'll end up paying more in new alignments and lots of time you can't drive the car since you're having to remove the suspension and send it off for rebuilds frequently). I have KYB AGX adjustable struts on my car, and in the last eight years I have adjusted them a total of three times.. once when I first installed them, once when my ex was preganant (to soften the ride), then again to set them back to the initial settings I had after our daughter was born. I'm really not sure why you would need to be constantly readjusting your suspension settings.. unless you get crappy coilovers that need to be rebuilt frequently and lose their dampening quickly (or you're competitively racing). And with about 80k miles on them, my struts still don't need a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender137 View Post
    I was looking to get the Fortune Auto's 500's with the Swift spring's option. I hear nothing but good things about these coilover's.

Same goes with the Fortune Auto 500s. I have never heard anything good about them.. except from people who clearly have no clue what they're talking about and wouldn't even know when their struts are blown out. People who's opinion I actually value that have experience with the Fortune Auto 500 all say they're junk.. poor ride quality, poor craftsmanship, wear out quickly, poor handling characteristics, etc.

I really don't see the appeal of installing a suspension that will require constant adjustments and tear down for rebuilding. I have replaced struts on various Subarus probably a dozen times in the last 12 years, and it's not exactly what I would consider an enjoyable task. Personally, I would much rather have a part that works well from the start, and keeps working without having to constantly be investing more money and time to simply keep them working.

IF you guys really want fully adjustable coilovers that will work well from the start and not require constant maintenance, I highly recommend RCE Tarmac 2s, with KW v3s being a close second.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I recently picked up an Eibach Sway Bar Kit "Front Adjustable 25mm/Rear Adjustable 22mm" and end links for my daily driver and I'm definitely looking forward to having them installed to minimize body roll (hopefully what that really means is that I don't going flying left and right in my seat every time I take a turn).

I plan on going hard rear, soft front per all the reviews I've read, but is there anything I need to worry about as far as driving the car differently? Someone said I could go up on 2 wheels if I corner too hard with aftermarket sway bars. Sounds ridiculous, but...
    You could lift a wheel I suppose but I'm more concerned about tête à queue, that's much more feasible.

It happens if hard rear increases oversteer, and I think it in fact does. Be mindful of the tail.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    opcorn:
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You could lift a wheel I suppose but I'm more concerned about tête à queue, that's much more feasible.

It happens if hard rear increases oversteer, and I think it in fact does. Be mindful of the tail.
    Thanks. I don't see spin outs on AWD being easy to do, so I'm thinking I'd have to be making a pretty extreme maneuver? Or maybe not.

I'm gonna take my time getting used to the new handling characteristics...
    Not so much anymore.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    Thanks. I don't see spin outs on AWD being easy to do, so I'm thinking I'd have to be making a pretty extreme maneuver? Or maybe not.

I'm gonna take my time getting used to the new handling characteristics...
    AWD only helps when you are accelerating. It can't change things when you've lost traction off throttle. As the rear gets stiffer one of the changes actually happening is each wheel is losing independence, making it easier for the rear to lose grip during transitions, or during that phase when you go from on throttle to off.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Gotcha. I read the Sway Bar FAQ thread and WRX Driving Tips Thread.

I've never 'raced' or tracked a car and a lot of the jargon and technique is beyond me, so what I gather is that a 22mm rear bar is not going to be too much for regular street driving as long as I don't dig the front end too quickly into a turn, imbalancing the overall direction of the car all at once - basically the front end is abruptly pointed in a different place while the back end is still flying in the same direction...
    Not so much anymore.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, generally, as long as you are aware that you've given up ultimate rear end traction and take time to learn the new limits, so that you are prepared in case of an abrupt manoeuvre. It's not likely this will happen, but then again that's why they call them "accidents." Most cases/people/cars this is all academic, it's not something that one experiences in everyday life. That 1 in 1000 or 100 though... Anyway, you get the idea.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is indeed a really good thread.

Especially for newbs like myself.

I am going to jump into suspension mods as well. I just ordered up the Kartboy front and rear endlinks combo.

Is this an easy install? I have level garage space, two ramps, and a fine assortment of tools and air compressor. Once I get the goods, do I have what I need?

Beyond the changing of fluids and some interior lighting mods, I haven't done much myself. I want to get my hands dirty and my back is been pretty good last six months.

Is this an easy job? Do I need additional tools? My dad is always willing to lend his capable hands as well. I want to reduce my trips to the shop and tackle some stuff on my own.

Cheers,

Blammo
    2009 WRX Sedan running on TOYO Observe G-02 Plus 205/50-17 (snowy)
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 91 LWG - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar) - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch w/ Exedy Lightweight Flywheel - Killer B Oil Pick-Up w/ Baffle - Perrin Transmission Mount - BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    FWIW, I have never lacked confidence pushing my '11 around any corner. It may lean here or there, but if you know how to drive and understand your cars handling characteristics the stock set up will handle pretty much anything you are likely to throw at it, short of tracking the car. If you feel you need it to be flat, then have at it.

I've spent many a year driving cars, SUV's and Jeeps around corners at speed and managing body roll - it's a driver skill we all develop. That roll can be modded down, but there are compromises to be made. For me, I'll take the corner, lean a bit, and power out - and enjoy the hell out of it.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.