shocks for 2005 wrx pink springs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on shocks for 2005 wrx pink springs? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I plan on getting the Spt usdm "sti pink" springs for my 2005 Wrx sedan and want to ...

shocks for 2005 wrx pink springs?

Hey guys, I plan on getting the Spt usdm "sti pink" springs for my 2005 Wrx sedan and want to replace the shocks and gruppe n top hats.

I have read of alot of people using stock shocks with the pink springs but am curios how Kyb excelg/gr2 or Tokico blues would pair with the pink springs. Kyb agx would be the absolute most I would spend, but I dont need the adjustability and would like to save a few bucks if possible.

Would Kyb excelg/gr2 or Tokico blues pair well with sti pink springs? Would one be better than the other? Thanks clubwrx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd skip the Pink springs and go for RCE Yellows or Blacks...better quality, better spring rates.

KYB GR2s or Excel Gs aren't much better than stock. More of an OEM replacement. AGX would be the best bet.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed. USDM pinks are not worth it. The JDM pinks are worth considering and I had them for a time. Perfect ride height, but a tad soft for what I wanted. I'm on the RCE yellows and like them a lot, but have some stout struts to match them up with.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Usdm pinks are really the only springs I am interested in. All I want is a slight drop and slight increase in spring rate and damping. Just a slight increase as I do not autox.

Also consider Group-N top hats as well. Its likely the stockers are worn out.

If you are dead set on on the USDM Pinks, still go for a good strut like the AGX or the Tokicos.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, Swift Sports would be a better purchase than the SPTs; they both will give you a modest drop and increased springrate, but neither will require upgraded struts (GR2s would be sufficient).

Considering the age of your car, while the assemblies are apart, you're going to want to replace the tophats. Depending on your budget, either new OE or upgraded units would be ideal. Whiteline makes the Com-C mount (for the front), which allows for adjustable camber/caster like you'd get with a plate, but is a rubber piece that gives it some compromise in terms of NVH; it's around $200 for that.

Whether you upgrade the tophats or remain OE, at a minimum, you're going to want a set of camber bolts for the rear of the vehicle. They run in the $30-40 range. Since you'll require a new alignment anyway, you may as well get a custom one done. Max out the front camber on whatever the stock bolts will handle (likely in the -1.2-1.4° range) and then dial out some camber in the back with the bolts (I like ~.5° less camber in the rear, so in the -0.8° range).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I plan on gruppe n front top hats and kyb rear top hats. Im pretty set on the pinks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eat05
    I plan on gruppe n front top hats and kyb rear top hats. Im pretty set on the pinks.
    Buy the pinks, then. I'm just telling you that for a similar price, you can have a better spring in the Swifts...you're not in warranty phase of your vehicle (assuming you have an '05 like your handle suggests), so I don't see the benefit of buying an inferior product.

As for the tophats, I would urge you to consider the Com-Cs up front as well; they're ~50% more expensive than Group-Ns, but the additional caster alone is worth that expense.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 for the Com Cs.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    +1 for the Com Cs.
    I feel gruppe n tophats will be more than enough along w the pinks, just trying to see how kyb excelg or tokico blues would handle the slight drop and slight increase in firmness of the pink springs.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Com Cs add negative camber and caster the GroupNs will not. As EJ257 said, well worth it. We are only trying to help based on a lot of collective experience here.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eat05
    I feel gruppe n tophats will be more than enough along w the pinks, just trying to see how kyb excelg or tokico blues would handle the slight drop and slight increase in firmness of the pink springs.
    Then, I already answered you; GR2s would be sufficient.

UNYSOC

Would tkico blues be better than kyb gr2/excelg?

Also should I bother with new bumpstops? Stock bumpsrops? Cut stock?

Would Tokico Hp/blues be better than Kyb Gr2/ExcelG?
    What about the bumpstops?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast