So I want to upgrade my brakes...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on So I want to upgrade my brakes... within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking for what is necessary to upgrade from stock if i'm just doing spirited daily driving and the occasional track ...

So I want to upgrade my brakes...

Looking for what is necessary to upgrade from stock if i'm just doing spirited daily driving and the occasional track day.

I was thinking of getting the Grimmspeed or Perrin Master Cylinder Brace with Motul 600 fluid.

OR

Stoptech Street F&R pads, Stoptech Stainless F&R Brake Lines, and Motul 600 fluid.

OR

Is it worth it to just get it all and be done? I just don't want to buy anything that I won't really need. Thanks!
    2013 SWP WRX Limited Sedan - SOLD

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 - White

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    SS lines, good pads, and fluid will give you a nice upgrade. The MCB is a pain and not really worth the hassle IMO. I have goodridge lines, and ate fluid. Gave a nice firm pedal feel. The pads are where the stopping power comes in though. Hawk makes some nice options.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, skip the brace. EBC redstuff have been my favorite street pad so far - no deposits/vibration, little dust, no squeeling, stop hard.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Personally I plan on putting a brace in with ss lines...The brace only to help support the firewall from flexing

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    SS lines, good pads, and fluid will give you a nice upgrade. The MCB is a pain and not really worth the hassle IMO. I have goodridge lines, and ate fluid. Gave a nice firm pedal feel. The pads are where the stopping power comes in though. Hawk makes some nice options.
    I've read mixed reviews between Stoptech Street pads and the Hawk HPS...I don't really get what the difference is besides the Hawk being more expensive and dusting more. Why did you choose the HPS?

Are the Goodridge lines better or equal to the Stoptech lines?

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Yeah, skip the brace. EBC redstuff have been my favorite street pad so far - no deposits/vibration, little dust, no squeeling, stop hard.
    I've always heard good stuff about the redstuff...where did you purchase them from? They are usually pretty hard to find...

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Personally I plan on putting a brace in with ss lines...The brace only to help support the firewall from flexing

Man, after reading all the PITA install problems with the brace it makes me rethink that option!

Ya it is a pain. Not looking forward to it but it'll help haha

Stinkeye member 520

LOL you're in Conn...i'm in Pittsburgh!

I do need someone to help me install my RCE Blacks whenever they come off of backorder!

I Support ClubWRX
    Goodridge lines are a very well known name in brakelines. I am happy with them but don't think there is anything wrong with stoptech. If those are what you want then you would be fine. Just letting you know that I do have SS lines and those plus the new fluid gave a nicer firmer pedal feel. I don't have Hawk (I am still on stock pads). I am not going to get the HPS when I do upgrade, as I don't need that amount of bite and would rather not have the dust. I will most likely go with the hawk performance ceramic pads.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My EBC were for an '03.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't even think about a track day (road track, not 1/4 mile) without some serious pads and fresh DOT 4 fluid. Hawk HP Plus worked very well with zero fade during 4 -30 minute track sessions using the OEM 2004 calipers.

I liked the stopping power so much, I kept them on for the street use. They are a tad dusty and noisy but make for unmatched grab and feel.

I had been using Hawk HPS prior to that for several years. They feel almost mushy in comparison.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-30-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

My rotors are warped so I'm looking for upgrades as well.

Was looking at this kit;

EBC Stage 4 Signature Brake Kit

Anyone have experience with "whistling" or "whirling" sounds with slotted or drilled rotors? My main fear is squealing since with every car I've ever had, once the brakes have been changed out, squealing was a 100% guarantee for the life of the car.
    Not so much anymore.

I'm interested in that kit too, but i'm not really looking to replace the rotors yet since I just hit 5K miles on my car.

I'm more or less just looking for pads, lines and fluid to get rid of the mushy factory pedal feel and increase the stopping a little more.

I've got slotted on the front. When they get overheated and warp they make a noticeable vibration noise. Mine need to be replaced as well. I resurfaced them about 2 months ago only one thing cut and it's back so I think they may be too thin

Stinkeye member 520

I've got enough meat to turn mine but they want $240 to do it, which seems absurd to me. Back in the day, Trak Auto would turn a rotor for $10. I figured I might as well upgrade them for that price. That whole front end EBC kit is only $60 more.
    Not so much anymore.

Ya..When you say turn rotor...literally means pull rotor off turn it so it sits differently on the hub correct? No way in hell that'd cost more then .1 hours labor
    Unless they thought they were going to cut them

Stinkeye member 520

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.