Buying coil overs, but what else do I need!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Buying coil overs, but what else do I need!? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Been reading a lot trying to find the answer but some say to add a camber kit and sway bars, ...

Buying coil overs, but what else do I need!?

Been reading a lot trying to find the answer but some say to add a camber kit and sway bars, some say it isn't needed.
    I have a 2014 wrx and am about to buy tein coil overs. What is necessary/recommended guys & gals? This is my first lowering experience and really don't want to screw it up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RicksREX View Post
    Been reading a lot trying to find the answer but some say to add a camber kit and sway bars, some say it isn't needed.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "camber kit". But absolutely sway bars are the best bang for the buck mod. Not sure who is saying they are not needed.

It is all about what you want out of the car. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you want to deal with all the hassles of a lowered car?

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "camber kit". But absolutely sway bars are the best bang for the buck mod. Not sure who is saying they are not needed.

It is all about what you want out of the car. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you want to deal with all the hassles of a lowered car?

Yeah I believe so. I like the look of taking out the wheel gap as well as hugging the ground more. Will it be worth it? Not sure, again this will be my first lowering so I'm not aware of the hassles that come with it.

I Support ClubWRX
    What's your budget? You might want to think about a quality replacement strut/spring combo vs. coils. You can get a good ride quality for less money. Koni yellow struts and RCE Black springs are a popular option. Whiteline are a popular sway bar with Kartboy end links. Just a thought. That set up would get you a decent drop with a good ride quality (and reduce body roll significantly).

Install the coilovers, drive the car. Feel it out. See then based on your comfort and confidence what to buy next.

The car will tell you everything. It will either handle how you want it to, or not.

Stock swaybars and aftermarket coilovers make the car unpredictable when combined...
    for the sake of good performance, I do highly recommend swaybars.
    Your alignment shop, if it is also the installation shop, should be able to take care of camber for you, unless you go really low. Coilovers do not HAVE to be run at the lowest ride-height setting, and in fact they typically do not work very well at super-low settings.

I have been through 3 sets (on my 3rd now) so bear in mind, unless you plan on maintaining them, they are a very expensive disposable suspension compared to a spring/strut combo (usually $1200 for raceworthy gear vs a minimum of $2000 to get coilovers to run perfectly).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RicksREX View Post
    Yeah I believe so. I like the look of taking out the wheel gap as well as hugging the ground more. Will it be worth it? Not sure, again this will be my first lowering so I'm not aware of the hassles that come with it.
    Hassles? Everyday driver: The list of negatives far outweigh any positives of lowering a WRX. Sure it looks kind of nicer to some small amount of people overall. Some areas/companies will jack up the insurance rates on a lowered car. For sure it loses resale value. Suddenly you won't be able to go all the places you used to and oops I cracked my front end again. All that and there is at least one study that there really aren't any handling gains with a stock car going lower. I'm not being a ****wad and I'm sure I'll get a chorus of boos, but if you, bottom line, admit to yourself and all around you are doing it for the looks and will deal with the consequences, then proceed.

Look at the handling mods in my mod thread. Do that first, see how much you love it. And you can do more. And still later lower the car.

True. Lowering is not required with coilovers, but handling improvements do come at a cost.
    I am over $15k in suspension alone... so you either commit to it, or quit.

Hassles? Everyday driver: The list of negatives far outweigh any positives of lowering a WRX. Sure it looks kind of nicer to some small amount of people overall. Some areas/companies will jack up the insurance rates on a lowered car. For sure it loses resale value. Suddenly you won't be able to go all the places you used to and oops I cracked my front end again. All that and there is at least one study that there really aren't any handling gains with a stock car going lower. I'm not being a ****wad and I'm sure I'll get a chorus of boos, but if you, bottom line, admit to yourself and all around you are doing it for the looks and will deal with the consequences, then proceed.

Look at the handling mods in my mod thread. Do that first, see how much you love it. And you can do more. And still later lower the car.

Oh yeah, it was absolutely a "looks" decision. You make a good case. I don't think your being an ass was, I just always like the lowered look of no wheel gap. But if I'm going to be sinking money into it like 15k? I don't know... If I had the money to throw around like that sure, why not. But I didn't realize there is more negative that comes with it. I like modding and thought that would be the best next step. It has an exhaust and sti shifter already from the factory. So now I'm like.. What's next you know? I'm all open to suggestion to mods that are worth doing if any one has ideas. This is my first you since my CBR and am really unsure what to do with a car vs a motorcycle.

Wow! 15k that is a commitment

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want handling without going extreme - These parts cost around $850 delivered:

Whiteline Rear Positive Traction Kit (Whiteline Part # KDT910)
    Whiteline Rear Diff Positive Power Kit Inserts (KDT903)
    Whiteline 24mm Front Sway Bar
    Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar
    Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (caster kit) (KCA334)
    Kartboy F/R Endlinks

Then you will need:

Specialized Four Way Alignment $150 or so at a really good shop

I didn't even KNOW my car had that much room for improvement

If you want handling without going extreme - These parts cost around $850 delivered:

Whiteline Rear Positive Traction Kit (Whiteline Part # KDT910)
    Whiteline Rear Diff Positive Power Kit Inserts (KDT903)
    Whiteline 24mm Front Sway Bar
    Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar
    Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (caster kit) (KCA334)
    Kartboy F/R Endlinks

Then you will need:

Specialized Four Way Alignment $150 or so at a really good shop

I didn't even KNOW my car had that much room for improvement

Haha! Awesome, thanks for the part numbers and everything

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Tein coilovers ride horribly on the street.

Like other's have said, it depends on your budget... I couldn't afford the maintenance or to be replacing them every so often. If your looking to just clear up fender gap, go with a spring/strut combo or just springs. I recently went with just the Eibach Pro Kit on my stock struts and it gave my car a perfect drop and the ride quality is great still. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    Like other's have said, it depends on your budget... I couldn't afford the maintenance or to be replacing them every so often. If your looking to just clear up fender gap, go with a spring/strut combo or just springs. I recently went with just the Eibach Pro Kit on my stock struts and it gave my car a perfect drop and the ride quality is great still. Good luck!
    Thanks! Yeah, budget it pretty low. That why I started looking at coil overs cus I thought it would keep me from popping my shocks Vs springs on my stock. From what I understand co's help with that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.