Selecting Brake Pads - Need Input

This is a discussion on Selecting Brake Pads - Need Input within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking to upgrade pads and fluid for next year. Recommendations please. I want something that's versatile. My car is the ...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar

Selecting Brake Pads - Need Input

Looking to upgrade pads and fluid for next year. Recommendations please.

I want something that's versatile. My car is the kind of car that is driven to the track and then on the track. It will be used in 2 or more autocross events each month, 1 rallycross every month or two for fun, and several track days. I don't daily drive either, I drive maybe 100-150 street miles a week at most. Selection seems kind of limited after shopping around on several websites, am I missing some options?

Max budget is around $100 for each set F/R. These are what I am considering, please critique them.

-Hawk HPS (concerned they might not be that much of an improvement)
    -Hawk HP+ (most costly, lots of dust and NVH, is the performance really worth it? Decent longevity?)
    -Hawk Ceramic (like that they have little dust and NVH, but how do they stack up on performance?)
    -StopTech Performance (how do these stack up? I like the lower price.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I actually have the stoptechs. They aren't bad for the price. I have heard that hawk and stoptech are the same company, but I can't confirm or deny that. The brake dust isn't the best, but I have no noise.
    A car is only as good as its driver

I Support ClubWRX
    Brake pads are cheap, and easy to replace. I'd go with the StopTechs, personally. A quick squirt with the hose should take care of any brake dust as long as it isn't caked on there too long.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by SubiEj255 View Post
    I actually have the stoptechs. They aren't bad for the price. I have heard that hawk and stoptech are the same company, but I can't confirm or deny that. The brake dust isn't the best, but I have no noise.
    Have you tried the Hawks? To give a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Brake pads are cheap, and easy to replace. I'd go with the StopTechs, personally. A quick squirt with the hose should take care of any brake dust as long as it isn't caked on there too long.
    Why exactly stoptechs if you don't mind me asking?

I can only clean my wheels maybe once a month due to my apartment complex not letting us use any of the outdoor spigots. Even then, brake dust only seems to come off with contact with a rag or something. The ceramics are about the same price and would be worth it to me for the dust savings, but would you know if the ceramics are as good performance-wise as the HPS or HP+? In the end, extra dust is a sacrifice I'm willing to make if the performance advantage is great enough.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had Hawk HPS and HP Plus on the WRX. You want stopping power, look no further. They bite hard, in a good way. Zero fade during the track day I did on them and were very predictable. It took me a few weeks to master modulating them for smooth street stops when first installed.

They are dusty by my OCD clean standards. Nothing a good wheel cleaner can't handle easily enough. They are occasionally rather noisy.

I've contemplated putting the HPS back on several times, but have grown used to the excellent feel. The HPS would feel quite squishy.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

How long did the HP+ last? Can I expect decent life out of them?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    How long did the HP+ last? Can I expect decent life out of them?
    They seem to be holding up fairly well. I'd have a hard giving a guesstimate mileage wise, but 2.5 years and 12k miles they still have well over half of the lining left. I do not see much highway driving. These will not be 60k+ mile brakes. The rotors seems to be holding up OK as well.

They bite hard, time and time again. It's well worth it to me, even though the WRX is largely retired from autox.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks everyone for the bit of input. It seems to be a toss up between the HP+ and Stoptechs. Price vs performance I guess.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man
    Why exactly stoptechs if you don't mind me asking?

I can only clean my wheels maybe once a month due to my apartment complex not letting us use any of the outdoor spigots. Even then, brake dust only seems to come off with contact with a rag or something. The ceramics are about the same price and would be worth it to me for the dust savings, but would you know if the ceramics are as good performance-wise as the HPS or HP+? In the end, extra dust is a sacrifice I'm willing to make if the performance advantage is great enough.
    Brake fade on the street isn't an issue; if it is, you need to re-evaluate your driving habits.
    Brake fade on an Auto-X course usually isn't an issue; typically, runs are in the ~30 second range, and not that big of a deal.

I would go with StopTechs for a double-duty pad. If you get into longer Auto-X courses or HPDEs, then going with something like the HP+ may be more up your alley, but I would spend money on SS lines, master cylinder brace, and fluid before really thinking too much about brake compound.

I never competed in Auto-X (my modifications put me in a class with people who had $100K STIs). I would go there and have a fun day hoping to improve my time throughout the day and push my car to the limit in a controlled environment. I never needed the best stuff, and I was content with it. I ran ACDelco (OE on the Corvette) and StopTech Posi-Quiet pads when I was doing it (still have the PQs on). If I ever felt the need to go beyond what the StopTechs offered, I'd be on the Ferodo DS2500 line, hands down.

I don't have a comparison of HP+ vs ST, but MSRP for STs on my car is ~$135, HP+ is ~$300. I've driven enough ST-pad cars (both the street performance and PQ line) to be happy with what I get.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC