"coilovers or springs/struts?"

This is a discussion on "coilovers or springs/struts?" within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, i know this has been discussed before, and i've been reading past threads but i still cant make ...

"coilovers or springs/struts?"

Hi guys, i know this has been discussed before, and i've been reading past threads but i still cant make up my mind on either coils or spring/struts. I want to lose the wheel gap on my '14 wrx and its going to be my DD, so i want something that will be pretty managable ride not bone rattleling. Not going to be doing any autox anytime soon just some spirited driving. Been leaning towards coilover, specifically the KW V1's, reading good reviews. I just want input from people and recommendations. BTW this is my first subie going on 1 month next week and so far im in love with it. Thanks in advance and sorry if i rehashed this topic again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexz10 View Post
    its going to be my DD

i want something that will be pretty managable ride not bone rattleling.

Not going to be doing any autox anytime soon just some spirited driving.
    Based on your criteria and *needs. I would strongly urge spring/strut.

I bought BC BR coilovers and i regret it.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

what would you recommend? and would it clear the wheel gap?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremydingeman View Post
    I bought BC BR coilovers and i regret it.
    Why? I put H&R springs on and wish I'd gone with those....wanted a lil stiffer then oem

Here goes.
    I don't have the same car as you, I have a GD WRX, and the chassis is heavily modified.

but.
    I have had several sets of coilovers on this car, and also springs/struts which were as good as I could find.
    The springs were excellent, the struts popped and leaked quickly.

The first set of coilovers were a companies attempt at a failed experiment and they failed ON my car...lol
    Second set were Cusco, and though not as easily adjustable, lasted a year.
    My present set are KW V3 w/ Subaru Group N tophats, and I have to say any KW coilover is superior to every spring/strut combination you could make for the same money.

KW V1 are the same quality level with less adjustment, my only reason for having those adjustments is the chassis modifications, so with a Subaru factory specced car like yours, you could easily take home track day trophies on either a top quality spring/strut and swaybar upgrade, or coilovers -that are well chosen---
    As for the setup you choose, I'm not trying to hawk a brand, I am just saying most break. Or have failures that are tough to repair, and require large replacements.

Are you going to ONLY drive on the street, meaning, no dirt/rocks/gravel?
    That's a very important thing to consider when most track specced/street competition suspension system upgrades lower your car considerably.

-properly setting up coilovers is tedious, can be expensive, and though these are inconvenient, can also outperform a spring/strut combination. This is within comparable pricing. It is not necessary to spend countless thousands of dollars on your car to increase handling.

I have to add, tires are more important than any suspension upgrade you will ever do.
    If you are on the stock rubber, I'd definitely consider an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    Here goes.
    I don't have the same car as you, I have a GD WRX, and the chassis is heavily modified.

but.
    I have had several sets of coilovers on this car, and also springs/struts which were as good as I could find.
    The springs were excellent, the struts popped and leaked quickly.

The first set of coilovers were a companies attempt at a failed experiment and they failed ON my car...lol
    Second set were Cusco, and though not as easily adjustable, lasted a year.
    My present set are KW V3 w/ Subaru Group N tophats, and I have to say any KW coilover is superior to every spring/strut combination you could make for the same money.

KW V1 are the same quality level with less adjustment, my only reason for having those adjustments is the chassis modifications, so with a Subaru factory specced car like yours, you could easily take home track day trophies on either a top quality spring/strut and swaybar upgrade, or coilovers -that are well chosen---
    As for the setup you choose, I'm not trying to hawk a brand, I am just saying most break. Or have failures that are tough to repair, and require large replacements.

Are you going to ONLY drive on the street, meaning, no dirt/rocks/gravel?
    That's a very important thing to consider when most track specced/street competition suspension system upgrades lower your car considerably.

-properly setting up coilovers is tedious, can be expensive, and though these are inconvenient, can also outperform a spring/strut combination. This is within comparable pricing. It is not necessary to spend countless thousands of dollars on your car to increase handling.

I have to add, tires are more important than any suspension upgrade you will ever do.
    If you are on the stock rubber, I'd definitely consider an upgrade.
    Thanks for the reply Impreza2.0,
    Yea just mostly street with of dirt/gravel.
    I really just want to lower the car to clear the wheel gaps, but i dont want to a cheap lowering kit that upsets the handling. Im not planning to do any racing till maybe next year or so still enjoying the car. Im also considering to get new wheels/tires after i get the suspension. Im more into looks than racing perfomance right now, I dont want the car to be below stock performance either. In between looks and performance I guess. Thanks again.

Get your wheels and tires first or at the same time. there are clearance choices you must make, and that will effect the decision. Of course install the suspension first, but for the sake of making it work in the end, choose them together. Ask the sellers if the data is available. You need to know what tires will clear the suspension you choose, and on what wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    Get your wheels and tires first or at the same time. there are clearance choices you must make, and that will effect the decision. Of course install the suspension first, but for the sake of making it work in the end, choose them together. Ask the sellers if the data is available. You need to know what tires will clear the suspension you choose, and on what wheels.
    Any recommendation on whether coils or strut/springs based on the things i want? Brand wise. I think I will get both. Thanks again