Budget summer tires
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Budget summer tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I recently bought a WRX and the original owner has left the Blizzarks on. I wanna save these ...

Budget summer tires

Ok so I recently bought a WRX and the original owner has left the Blizzarks on. I wanna save these for winter so I'm looking for a set of summer tires, probably gonna be put on stock wheels for now.
    I've been looking around for a set of tires with good grip as I live in michigan and it occasionally theres heavy rain during the summer. I wont be racing or anything, just a good set for DD. Unfortunately I dont have Michelin or Bridgestone money and I need a set of tires soon.

Here are some I'm looking at the: Nitto NT NeoGen ZR, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, and GT Radial Champiro UHP1 on discounttiredirect.

So far I'm leaning towards the Nittos, considering I've read the best reviews, but they are the most expensive of the three. I understand that with tires its a "you get what you pay for" kinda deal and I'd love to be able to spend $600+ on proper performance summer tires but my budget doesnt permit. Anyways, I wanna know what people think would be the best way to go, either from what I'm looking at or if theres any other suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    2009 WRX hatch Satin White Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Personally I love the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2. They are a great budget summer tire.

Cooper RS3-S

/thread

Though the BFG Comp-2 are a great tire.

Also keep an eye out on the classified threads around here, on Facebook, and on Nasioc especially...you may be able to find some stock take-offs for a great price with plenty of life left. I've seen stock Dunlops go for as low as $150 with only 3-4k on them.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

look at tirerack.com for any specials they have. I got great deals that way on Kumho, and Goodyear F1 asymmetric summers.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Cooper RS3-S

/thread

Though the BFG Comp-2 are a great tire.

Also keep an eye out on the classified threads around here, on Facebook, and on Nasioc especially...you may be able to find some stock take-offs for a great price with plenty of life left. I've seen stock Dunlops go for as low as $150 with only 3-4k on them.
    Listen to Mikie, he might look crazy, but he speaks the truth.

How is the "return-to-center" feel of the Cooper RS3?

I had some old Pilot Exalto PE2's on my Civic and they were the most responsive tires I've ever owned. Of course, they're not available any more. I'd love to find some tires that perform like those.

What the heck is "return to center" feel?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Maybe I wasn't using the "official" terminology, but what I meant was how strongly the tires want to return the wheels back to a straight line following a turn. It was like I was driving a go-cart. TONS of fun.

My old Civic Si had some sort of Dunlops on them when I bought it (used) and they were okay. I bought some Continental all-seasons and they were horrible. Finally I bought some Pilot Exalto PE2's and the car turned into a real sports car. The car just "wanted" to go back to a straight line when you let go of the wheel after a turn. But at the same time, I was never "fighting" the steering wheel during the turn. It was a really sporty feel. Only after the fact did I discover that those were the OEM tires.

Anyway, since I can no longer get the PE2's, I've been looking for tires that behave similarly. Yeah, alignment is obviously a huge part of a car's handling, but with my Civic Si, I literally did nothing except change tires and the difference was night and day. I'm really hoping to get a set of tires that behave like that for my WRX. The OEM Dunlop SP01's just aren't cutting it.

Hmmm...never really heard that as a tire measurement before. I'd think that has more to do with suspension and steering ratio than tires. But I could be wrong.

Definitely stay away from All Seasons (no seasons, lulz) because they are mediocre in all seasons as opposed to good or great in one season.

If you want to spend $700 or so on a set of tires, I'd recommend Michelin Pilot Super Sports over anything right now. Just so sticky and responsive, complete with a 300AA treadwear rating. Currently the best tires I've ever had on any of my cars.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.