I would like a tighter suspension...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I would like a tighter suspension... within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I'm new to the club but just bought my first wrx (switched from mustang gt). I'm happy with ...

I would like a tighter suspension...

Hey guys,

I'm new to the club but just bought my first wrx (switched from mustang gt).

I'm happy with the power output (for now) but body roll and the not-as-tight suspension are slightly bothering me.

I just wanted to hear from somebody that has done some suspension work and what they thought made the most sense, both mechanically and economically.

I don't want to necessarily lower the car, but I was thinking definitely anti-sway bars for front and back to start. From there, not sure if I want stiffer springs, struts etc....

Feedback would be great.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Welcome.

What are your priorities (is comfort most important, raw performance, looks etc.)? what will you be using the car for?

Hey,

It is my daily driver, but because my wife has her own SUV, I can focus on my own set-up. I honestly want to decrease that body roll entering/exiting turns, as well as some of the bounce after going over bumps etc... Also, I would like to reduce roll when accelerating/braking. I drove a friend's BRZ and I want some of the "planted to the road" feel... at least more than I have at the moment.

Thanks,
    Paul

I have already looked into anti-sway bars...
    Eibach Sway Bar Kit Front Adjustable 25mm / Rear Adjustable 22mm Subaru STI 2008-2014 / WRX 2011-2014 / Forester XT 2009-2013 7718.320 at RallySportDirect.com

This kit seems to be pretty solid. Great reviews, both effect and quality. Price isn't bad either.

Paul

To cut down the body roll you'll need to adjust springs and sway bars. Which one of the two you want to be stiffer and do more work is up to you, that's just something you'll have to experiment with and research.

The consensus here seems to be whiteline adjustable sway bars, 24 front 22 rear. I'll definitely be going for these when I get around to upgrading sway bars. You'll want some solid endlinks to go with them, most people around here like the kartboy endlinks. Other good sway bars are Rallitek, Eibach, and Hotchkis, Perrin. But whiteline are solid (not hollow) and adjustable. So it's a nice setup.

For the struts/springs, that's more up in the air. A lot of the guys around here like the RCE springs with Koni yellows. But there are tons of great options for this. For a daily driver I would suggest you away from a full coilover setup and instead opt for a good spring/strut combo. KYB AGX, bilsteins, Tokico d-spec are all great products as well. You'll just have to read around and see which one suits you the best.

Tires will go a long way for performance and is pretty much the biggest upgrade you can make. That's where I would invest first for overall performance. What year is your car?

2014 WRX Hatch...

I agree with everything you said. I really feel that the front/rear adjustable sway bars will be my first step. Also considering front/rear tower strut bars.

I will go through this set of tires since they are brand new and I only have 1000 miles on them. After that, I'll upgrade them as well.

I'm thinking I may stay away from struts/springs for a while...

Thanks,
    Paul

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely more bar up front. Check out the Mods & Pics link in my sig more more info. I went through a few (several?) setups before I found what I liked.

While bigger bars are helpful, there is no replacement for stiffer springs. As mentioned above, there are many choices out there.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks for the input!

How do you guys feel about rear tower strut bars? I've only ever had front, never really thought about rear...

Paul

You don't really need it for the front. The older wagons really benefited from having one. But I'm not sure about the newer hatch though. I would say the rear bar would be more beneficial if you had to get one. But it will probably yield you the least gains out of everything listed so far.

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed. Tower braces might be OK for the final touch on an extreme setup, but will not yield much for a daily driver. Subaru did nice work with the placement of the strut mounting points, negating the need for additional bracing.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Yeah... I'm just trying to think of different combinations. I have some back roads that are VERY curvy near me, and this body roll is killing me sometimes... I'll research a bit more and see what I find..

Paul

I Support ClubWRX
    Try autocross The Sports Car Club of America - Solo to find the limitations of your setup.

I can barely reach ~70% of the WRX's capability on some of the excellent curvy public roads near where I live. The suspension setup is more capable than I am as a driver.
    Mods & Pics

Will do! I've heard of it before but never checked it out...I'm from Philly so I know they host events down at the ballparks.

Thanks,
    Paul

A big front sway bar would be a great first upgrade. Especially if the '14's understeer like the older ones.

Doing the sway bars I think will get you what you want, maybe play with your alignment a bit too. The newer cars come with some good rubber and good wheels I think. If that isn't enough, then later you can play around with some springs!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowpuulwater View Post
    Will do! I've heard of it before but never checked it out...I'm from Philly so I know they host events down at the ballparks.

Thanks,
    Paul
    I'm a 9 year member of: PhillySCCA.com | Home of the Philadelphia Region of the SCCA
    Mods & Pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast