Brake upgrade time. How's this sound?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Brake upgrade time. How's this sound? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I recently spent a good bit of time behind the wheel of my friends STi and one thing I ...

Brake upgrade time. How's this sound?

So I recently spent a good bit of time behind the wheel of my friends STi and one thing I really loved was how good his brakes felt. Made me want to bring mine (03 WRX) up a bit. I've been doing research but I wanted to get a second opinion on what I found.

The car is mostly my daily driver, but honestly it's as much a toy to me as anything else. I'm not looking for a track setup, but something fun for spirited driving and 1-2 autoX events each month.
    So here's what I'm thinking of getting...

Hawk HPS pads front and rear
    Stoptech SS brake lines
    Grimmspeed master cylinder brace

From what I've read, this seems like a pretty effective upgrade without spending too much money. I considered slotted/drilled rotors but it seems like the general opinion is that those are more for show than anything else. Sounds like the pads will be the biggest upgrade in actual braking distance, while the SS lines and master cylinder brace will help immensely with the pedal feel. Sound about right? I'd love opinions on any and all of this.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    From what I've read, this seems like a pretty effective upgrade without spending too much money. I considered slotted/drilled rotors but it seems like the general opinion is that those are more for show than anything else. Sounds like the pads will be the biggest upgrade in actual braking distance, while the SS lines and master cylinder brace will help immensely with the pedal feel. Sound about right? I'd love opinions on any and all of this.

Thanks!
    Spot on! ...Pads, SS lines, and Fluid will pretty much do it. Just gotta decide on how aggressive (noisy and dusty) of a pad you want. I read about a guy who ran a whole season of some higher level racing in NASA or SCCA on the stock wrx brakes, had no troube out of them (stock calipers that is).

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not sure if the master cylinder brace is worth it for the PITA they are to install, but the rest of the items are great.

My bugeye had Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue brake fluid, Goodrich SS lines with OEM calipers and OEM blank rotors. I could AutoX all day long without brake fade, although the HPS pads dusted like crazy.

I switched to StopTech Street Performance pads on my Outback, and they seem to dust much less, with similar braking performance (at least from my "butt dyno").
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

BBK or GTFO!

Kidding...What Isaac said above...and your original idea is pretty spot on for improved braking feel. But definitely upgrade to a better fluid while you're doing it (since you have to flush anyway).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    BBK or GTFO!
    I wish!

Sounds like I'm on the right path. Sweet.

I read about a guy who ran a whole season of some higher level racing in NASA or SCCA on the stock wrx brakes, had no troube out of them (stock calipers that is).
    I could see it. My brakes feel pretty good and I never have had issues with fade or anything... but literally every road in, out of, or around my town is a twisty mountain pass... and absolutely littered with Bambis. A little extra confidence never hurt anyone

I switched to StopTech Street Performance pads on my Outback, and they seem to dust much less, with similar braking performance (at least from my "butt dyno").
    Interesting. I was looking at those originally but there were some poor reviews on Rallysport that weren't there for the Hawks. Did you get much dust on a daily basis? Or just when racing?

Appreciate the help guys

i just installed all brand new, centric premium rotors, stoptech street pads, and stop tech SS line and my breakes feel amazing now super responsive and quick to stop i love them. deffinately a legit set up. you go bigger and better and spend more money, but is not needed at all this i s my DD and is perfect for that plus more

I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of tires do you have? Upgrading the tires makes a big difference in stopping ability. Other than that, your plan sounds solid. I too have heard that the MCB is a wicked pain in the butt to install (I might suggest doing the lines/fluid and seeing how that feels first, and if the pedal is still not firm enough then take the extra step of the brace). I have the SS lines and ATE superblue (discontinued the blue), and it made a nice difference in pedal feel. The pads will be the difference in actual brake bite. I am debating on the pads I want to do next (coming up on 60K on my stock pads soon), and I am considering going toward a performance ceramic vs. the HPS or similar, just because of the dust and sound the higher performance pads will make. I also don't compete in anything, so a super high performance pad is not necessary.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Interesting. I was looking at those originally but there were some poor reviews on Rallysport that weren't there for the Hawks. Did you get much dust on a daily basis? Or just when racing?

Appreciate the help guys
    It was definitely daily driving. My front wheels would have a coating of copper-colored dust pretty much all the time. Excellent braking, but more dust than I expected. The StopTechs seems to be much better about low dusting.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    You could always grab the Hawk Ceramics. Still a ton of stopping power without the dust. That's what I'm running.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    You could always grab the Hawk Ceramics. Still a ton of stopping power without the dust. That's what I'm running.
    That was actually the pad I was looking at.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    This will be my next upgrade as well. So what pads do you all like if dust and noise weren't an issue and you autocross 2 or more times a month? Also, fluid recommendations. Not to hijack thread or anything.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had both Hawk HPS and Hawk HP Plus both street and autox.

If you are doing autox get the HP Plus. A lot more stopping power, but a fair amount of dust and noise. They will not fade, even on a track day.

The extra bite will give more braking feel than the SS lines or brace combined. I was disappointed in the improvement the lines alone made - did those long ago.

DOT 4 fluid is a given for performance driving. I used to alternate between ATE Blue and Amber. Blue is no longer available in the US.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks everyone for the advice! Great to hear all of your opinions... definitely makes me feel more confident in the direction I'm going.

Just ordered StopTech Street Performance pads and SS lines and GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace! I'll report back with the results!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.