What sway bars and end links did you get? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on What sway bars and end links did you get? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just noticed the post above mine. If you ever replace half of something aftermarket and other half stock you create ...

Just noticed the post above mine. If you ever replace half of something aftermarket and other half stock you create a weak point. You'd understeer like a mofo man, until your front end links broke or your sway got so bent it was useless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by D's WRX View Post
    If you can get your hands on an STi rear sway bar they are 19mm and a good pair with the stock front (also look factory from under the car, if that's a concern). Definitely save some money that way.
    Whould I be able to but my stock STi 2011 sways on my son 2014 wrx, and would I be able to use the stock inlinks off my STi on his wrx?

Quote Originally Posted by rush 2112 View Post
    Whould I be able to but my stock STi 2011 sways on my son 2014 wrx, and would I be able to use the stock inlinks off my STi on his wrx?
    Yes, the endlinks are the same. My friend and I upgraded our sway-bars and end-links at the same time. His car is a 2013 STi, mine's a 2011 WRX. Except for size, they were identical and mix/match. I'm pretty sure the fronts are the same on both, but the rear is 2mm thicker on the STi (19 vice 17). Can probably grab pictures of both together as we have them in storage together, but might be a couple days for that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kdeitrich
    You'd understeer like a mofo man, until your front end links broke or your sway got so bent it was useless.
    Incorrect
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Where is the best place to buy the Whiteline sways? Probably want the antidive/anitlift kit as well. I'm going 24 front, 22 rear for sway bars.

To be honest over the years the sways I have purchased for various cars I always am paranoid about "too much bar", then when I get them all installed, meh hardly much difference, always wish I got the bigger bars. But yeah my hatch could use stiffer springs as well.

You don't have to replace both. The WRX uses the same front bar as the STI so you would be good to upgrade the rear to the STI bar or similar aftermarket without any I'll effects. If you go too big I'd recommend upgrading the front too.
    I ran a 20mm JDM RSB on my 06 legacy with the stock front bar and had great results.
    I installed a 19mm STI RSB on my wife's 14 FXT and kept the stock front bar. Again great results.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    Where is the best place to buy the Whiteline sways? Probably want the antidive/anitlift kit as well. I'm going 24 front, 22 rear for sway bars.

To be honest over the years the sways I have purchased for various cars I always am paranoid about "too much bar", then when I get them all installed, meh hardly much difference, always wish I got the bigger bars. But yeah my hatch could use stiffer springs as well.
    Contact WTF Tuning, they are a vendor here. I can't say enough good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Incorrect
    ...some exaggeration, but he would understeer quite bad. at least if he drives hard..

Quote Originally Posted by kdeitrich View Post
    ...some exaggeration, but he would understeer quite bad. at least if he drives hard..
    So my question here is if you are running the stock 21mm swaybar on the front, and upgrade the rear to 19mm....how would that make the car understeer? That should bring the handling balance back to neutral I'd think.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

I Support ClubWRX
    Incorrect, again.

UNYSOC

Incorrect, again.
    please explain then. just because you've posted 20,000 times on this website doesn't make you special.. He said he wanted to keep the stock sway up front and stock endlinks. then put an aftermarket sway on the back and i believe end links also. When you tighten up the steering up-front too you get good handling and some oversteer (good) esp when cornering hard. So please, explain your logic.
    All Im saying is that I would just buy a sway bar kit and save the dough to the OP because I'm happy I did. Companys of sways don't matter very much IMO and mechanical experience, Eibach is cheap and is big into making suspension components for many cars (reliable, reputable).

Incorrect, again.
    please explain then. just because you've posted 20,000 times on this website doesn't make you special.. He said he wanted to keep the stock sway up front and stock endlinks. then put an aftermarket sway on the back and i believe end links also. When you tighten up the steering up-front too you get good handling and some oversteer (good) esp when cornering hard. So please, explain your logic.
    All Im saying is that I would just buy a sway bar kit and save the dough to the OP because I'm happy I did. Companys of sways don't matter very much IMO and mechanical experience, Eibach is cheap and is big into making suspension components for many cars (reliable, reputable).

Quote Originally Posted by kdeitrich View Post
    Companys of sways don't matter very much IMO and mechanical experience, Eibach is cheap and is big into making suspension components for many cars (reliable, reputable).
    Incorrect, again.

I Support ClubWRX
    You're correct that my post count "doesn't make me special". However, my experience wrenching on and tuning these cars does...

In laymen terms:
    1. Understeer = Front runs wider than rear
    2. Oversteer = Rear runs wider than front

By upgrading the rear swaybar, you're causing the rear to "push", and will make the car more "neutral" in terms of handling. However, that doesn't address the original issue of the front running wide in a corner, it just means that the rear end is running wider than necessary, as well. Fixing understeer by slapping a larger rear swaybar on the car is essentially like trying to get someone to quit smoking by giving them a tin of Copenhagen.

The MacPherson strut used in the front causes significant camber loss in Subarus on turn-in, by design. As you enter a turn, the outside spring gets loaded, and compresses. As it compresses, camber on that corner moves towards zero/positive. As a result, the front end will "push" as a result of not having optimal contact patch.

By increasing the front swaybar stiffness, you decrease the amount of dynamic camber loss as you enter a corner. As a result, you see more contact patch at the front; therefore, the front end does not "push" as badly as before, and understeer is decreased.

All Im saying is that I would just buy a sway bar kit and save the dough to the OP because I'm happy I did.
    Buying F/R swaybars and endlinks is ideal.

That said, if you're looking for a single bar, I would argue that the front bar is more important than the rear for reasons stated above.

Companys of sways don't matter very much IMO and mechanical experience, Eibach is cheap and is big into making suspension components for many cars (reliable, reputable).
    If you buy from a reputable company, the manufacturer of the bar shouldn't matter. The composition, however, absolutely DOES matter. A hollow bar (e.g., Eibach) is significantly less rigid than a solid one (e.g., Whiteline).
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-06-2014 at 01:25 AM.

UNYSOC

By upgrading the rear swaybar, you're causing the rear to "push", and will make the car more "neutral" in terms of handling. However, that doesn't address the original issue of the front running wide in a corner, it just means that the rear end is running wider than necessary, as well. Fixing understeer by slapping a larger rear swaybar on the car is essentially like trying to get someone to quit smoking by giving them a tin of Copenhagen.
    I was very surprised the first time I entered a corner quickly after replacing the rear bar and instead of the front sliding to let me know that I was near the limit of grip, the whole car slid.
    David - '05 WRX

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast