Summer Tires on the beach
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Summer Tires on the beach within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My family is planning a trip to the outer banks this summer and I was going to drive down to ...

I Support ClubWRX

Summer Tires on the beach

My family is planning a trip to the outer banks this summer and I was going to drive down to meet them for a week. I know they have some 4x4 beaches and I was wondering if anyone has experience driving in the sand with summer tires. I am planning to get a set of Pilot Super Sports to replace the Dunlops that came with the car.

I have no desire to get an all season tire since I have a dedicated winter set.
    I know that I would need to lower the tire pressure to around 15-20 psi
    Also I am aware they I would get sand all over and in the car
    I would need to bring an air filter cleaning kit or a replacement filter.

Other then that does any know if I would have difficulty driving around in some what packed/loose sand. I dont plan to go on the dunes just around the beach.
    Last edited by cflip2x; 03-25-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just me, but I would not drive it on / in sand at all.

All that grit in / around moving parts....just asking to tear stuff up.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

I Support ClubWRX
    I definably understand the concern about sand getting in the moving parts of the car. My car is no means a show car and I want to have some fun with it on the the beach. I am wondering how summer tires would do on sand since they dont have as an aggressive tread pattern.
    Last edited by cflip2x; 03-25-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I drove on the beach in OBX North Carolina and my wrx did fine but I didn't stop because I didn't wanna get stuck lol
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Been there. Done that. Jeeps are fine. Our cars are not because no ground clearance. Do not do it.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    My Uncle drove his saburban on the beach when we went to OBX 6 or 7 years ago. The sand got EVERYWHERE and totally facked up his ABS system. Since then I have never drove a car on the beach unless it was made for it. That stuff can screw a lot of things up. It can get inside your bearings, your bushings, etc. I would suggest you not but I also can't tell you what to do, just advise you as to what I would or wouldn't do.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've driven on the beach plenty of times, never worried about tires, never came close to getting stuck. Only got sand everywhere once, like 10 years ago, because I was being an ass doing donuts.. never had a sand related problem (unless you count spending years vacuuming it out of the carpet).

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    My Uncle drove his saburban on the beach when we went to OBX 6 or 7 years ago. The sand got EVERYWHERE and totally facked up his ABS system. Since then I have never drove a car on the beach unless it was made for it. That stuff can screw a lot of things up. It can get inside your bearings, your bushings, etc. I would suggest you not but I also can't tell you what to do, just advise you as to what I would or wouldn't do.
    I am surprised, that sucks. Only car I drove on a beach was a landcrusier - needless to say it had no problems - I can't imaging summer tires would be significantly worse than all seasons - but I am no expert.

Last night Jimmy Fallon told how he got his Range Rover stuck on the beach in the Hamptons...
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

zax
    I hate it when sand gets in my ******
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I hate it when sand gets in my ******

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX on a beach? Not sure about the beaches around you but by me the WRX wouldn't make it.

1. Not enough clearance to avoid getting stuck. Besides the chance (99%) of getting stuck your going to get sand everywhere under you car and no matter how certain someone says they cleaned it all off, its never all off. I had a dedicated YJ for beach/offroading and there was always sand under it, in it, etc no matter how many times I hosed the crap out of it.

2. Your bringing your car awfully close to the ocean = salt water = Rust..

You car so its up to you. I ask you do post picks from when you get towed out by a Wrangler though lol

I live in south Texas and the beaches are all fairly drivable, maybe OBX is similar but I've never been. Anyway, my old civic did fine on sand with summer tires and our old CR-V would go anywhere with its little awd system. It comes down to awd and ground clearance on the beach. You have 1 of those. As long as the sand isn't too deep your tires will be fine. Don't forget an underbody wash after. Have fun!

go have some fun, you live in NJ-your car WILL rust. youll probably get stuck or get close to getting stuck with the low ground clearance but go for it, as long as u have another vehicle to tow u out. take videos as well.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Are we talking about a beach, or dunes? Beaches are flat in my experience, with moist packed sand. You could have 1" of ground clearance and still not scrape, and chances of getting stuck are almost nill unless you do something stupid (like park your car in the water).. even in a RWD car you're not going to come close to getting stuck around here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.