Steel Wheels
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Steel Wheels within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im wanting to find me some wheels/tires for winter next year. Bought my WRX mid winter this year and had ...

Registered User chrismartin3391's Avatar

Steel Wheels

Im wanting to find me some wheels/tires for winter next year. Bought my WRX mid winter this year and had one drive in the snow with it and was scared to death. Stock tires as I've read are horrible in the snow.. So I'm looking just for some cheap steel wheels with good winter tires. What is everyones opinion on best combo? Anyone have a place I could find a cheap set of wheels to fit my car? 14 WRX Premium... Tirerack guy said they dont sell steel wheels and suggested a junk yard. Ive searched everywhere in my area and nobody has any WRX wheels i could use.. They dont have to be steel but im not looking to spend a lot. Just something to save my stock wheels and prevent me from changing tires every season.. Thanks ya'll
    RIP Paul. You will be missed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tirerack said that they don't sell steel wheels? That's odd.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterW...el#results_top

These are 17 X 6.5", with no offset specified.

Take your time in deciding what to get. It's a complex decision: snow traction, ice traction, dry pavement performance, tire wear, and cost are all part of it. I went with Dunlop SP Wintersport SP4s of the same size as the OEM tires on my '013. Even with cheap alloy wheels, the whole deal was expensive. (I also bought the TPMS sensors, to avoid having to ignore an idiot light half the year.)

Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin3391 View Post
    Im wanting to find me some wheels/tires for winter next year. Bought my WRX mid winter this year and had one drive in the snow with it and was scared to death. Stock tires as I've read are horrible in the snow.. So I'm looking just for some cheap steel wheels with good winter tires. What is everyones opinion on best combo? Anyone have a place I could find a cheap set of wheels to fit my car? 14 WRX Premium... Tirerack guy said they dont sell steel wheels and suggested a junk yard. Ive searched everywhere in my area and nobody has any WRX wheels i could use.. They dont have to be steel but im not looking to spend a lot. Just something to save my stock wheels and prevent me from changing tires every season.. Thanks ya'll
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Tirerack said that they don't sell steel wheels? That's odd.
    Yeah what?

Many people have gotten a set from tirerack, myself included. Call back and tell em what car you have and that you want steelies with winter tires, what do they suggest. You must've gotten a D-list service rep.

Also keep your eye on the forum for sale section here and Nasioc. You can find used setups for pretty cheap.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.