I want to go the other way - raise the car....brainstorming
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I want to go the other way - raise the car....brainstorming within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; brainstorming in progress. Stand back, throw ideas in.... I want a more offroadable, rally type WRX 2014 WRX Hatch - ...

I Support ClubWRX

Smile I want to go the other way - raise the car....brainstorming

brainstorming in progress. Stand back, throw ideas in.... I want a more offroadable, rally type WRX

2014 WRX Hatch - say I want to raise the car 1" and maybe 1.378" in the rear. (Subtle Solutions)

Stiffen it up with all the braces and put a bar and skid plate(s). You maybe can get a mental image. My questions (and I'm a bit tired from working my arse off all day):

If I put some nice sway bars on would I need longer endlinks with a raised car?

Pretty sure it retains the stock shock and spring MacPherson length.

Can I still use most all the various stiffeners?

What the heck am I missing??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Think about where the sway bars are mounted. We'll set a datum at the body of the car and assume upwards the positive direction.

In the rear, the endlinks mount to the lateral links. If you raise the car's ride height, the mounting point will travel down as you raise the car. So, in theory you would need longer endlinks or longer mounts on the lateral links. In the front, the endlinks are mounted to the control arms. So if you raise the car, the endlink mounting point will travel down again. So in theory you would need longer endlinks in the front as well. (correct me if I'm wrong, I just got done with a 7 hour long Calc and Thermo studying binge so I'm a little fried)

Now, If you only raise the car about an inch or two I don't think it would really matter, but it couldn't hurt to research that topic over on dirtyimpreza.com or something.

For skid plate, I've seen anything from old road signs like stop signs work well or whatever sheet of metal you can get. Again, I've seen tons of write-ups on making your own skid plate on dirtyimpreza.com if you want to make your own.

Not sure about the new WRX's, but my friend runs forester struts on his bugeye (great upgrade and very cheap). You might look into that, see if there's an option similar to that for the '14. Otherwise there's plenty aftermarket springs out there for that purpose. Gregroot on here had a newer WRX that was a pretty sweet rally car. You might want to check out his build thread.

Do you want a better ride too? If so, I'd suggest a set of King springs (give slightly more than 1" of lift and behave better than stock springs). Why are you wanting more lift on the rear? Uneven lift will mess up the aim of your headlights. This is all from experience too, by the way, I had my '11 WRX lifted with slightly more than 2" of suspension lift and ~1" of tire lift.

With an inch of lift you will be just fine with stock length end-links, I ran the stock length Kartboy end-links the entire time I had the car lifted.

FYI, I still have those springs (King progressive spring rate, ~1" lift springs) and various thickness spacers (Subtle Solutions 1" lift kit, 1/2" Paranoid Fabrications kit, 3/8 and 1/4" rear spacers) hanging out in the garage and looking for a new home.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Do you want a better ride too? If so, I'd suggest a set of King springs (give slightly more than 1" of lift and behave better than stock springs). Why are you wanting more lift on the rear? Uneven lift will mess up the aim of your headlights. This is all from experience too, by the way, I had my '11 WRX lifted with slightly more than 2" of suspension lift and ~1" of tire lift.

With an inch of lift you will be just fine with stock length end-links, I ran the stock length Kartboy end-links the entire time I had the car lifted.

FYI, I still have those springs (King progressive spring rate, ~1" lift springs) and various thickness spacers (Subtle Solutions 1" lift kit, 1/2" Paranoid Fabrications kit, 3/8 and 1/4" rear spacers) hanging out in the garage and looking for a new home.
    I assume I can re-aim my headlights - well the HID's - from the cockpit. More in the rear (1/4"-3/8") to even it up was my thinking. May not need this.

But to the point. You had your car lifted, and you took it back down. (For trade in?) I get what you say in your thread, but how did your 2011 ride and go and handle?

Thanks!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    The new cars suck. All you have to do with the older model Impreza is swap Forester suspension over. Not sure if the same applies on newer models.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    The new cars suck. All you have to do with the older model Impreza is swap Forester suspension over. Not sure if the same applies on newer models.
    It's more difficult, IIRC. There are challenges with the multilink suspension when lifting the car.

You're not alone in wanting to lift the car. I've wanted to do the same on my bugeye for several years.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

dirtyimpreza.com
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you're too lazy to search DirtyImpreza.com - The Off-Road Impreza Community this is the thread I've gotten the best information from.

The Unofficial "How to Lift your Impreza" Thread - DirtyImpreza Forums

Obviously, this does not apply to your MY but should provide some good information on what you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    I assume I can re-aim my headlights - well the HID's - from the cockpit. More in the rear (1/4"-3/8") to even it up was my thinking. May not need this.

But to the point. You had your car lifted, and you took it back down. (For trade in?) I get what you say in your thread, but how did your 2011 ride and go and handle?

Thanks!
    True, headlights can be re-aimed to a point. 1/4" extra in the back wouldn't cause too much issue I believe.

Correct, traded in for my current dirty girl ('06 STi). The 2011 rode great on those springs alone, spacers didn't really change the feel too much. Granted I wasn't trying to put it sideways around corners, lifted, I'm sure it decreased the max speed I could do around a corner. So, I guess I'd say ride quality went up, handling went down a little bit for quick and sharp maneuvers, though I did plenty of those in the desert. No problemo.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Im looking to do the same thing. What tires are you considering? Anyone with pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by atranz View Post
    Im looking to do the same thing. What tires are you considering? Anyone with pics?

Did you bother looking at the link I posted?

The Unofficial "How to Lift your Impreza" Thread - DirtyImpreza Forums

Yes I did. It seams dirtyimpreza forum has more of the "impreza" and older models cars. Im looking for 2008-2014 wrx/sti's.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes I did. It seams dirtyimpreza forum has more of the "impreza" and older models cars. Im looking for 2008-2014 wrx/sti's.

You are aware that the 2008-2014 WRX/STis are the Impreza, right? Maybe you should try the search function on that site...it might get the results you're looking for.

Start a thread. I know there are some 3rd gen guys on there. And guys who maybe don't have 3rd gens but do have the knowledge you seek.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Anyone interested in lifting a Subaru should talk to Primitive Racing. They sell King spring packages, and have proven rally experience on Foresters, Imprezas, and Outbacks. I will most likely be sourcing my suspension from them (although I'm lowering the Outback to LGT height).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.