Bad Strut?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bad Strut? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My right side OEM strut (I think the front one, but maybe the back one) makes a noise like something ...

Bad Strut?

My right side OEM strut (I think the front one, but maybe the back one) makes a noise like something is rolling around in the car when I'm cornering with the load to the right. Is this a sign that the strut has gone bad? I have somewhere between 45-60k on my struts. I don't know if any are leaking since I have 5 months of snow and dirt on my car, but will take a look tonight. I may take a rare weekend day off skiing on Sunday and wash the car so I can have a better look.
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

While not the proper way to check them I always do the push down test. Ha...I push down on the side of the car above the strut and see if it comes back up like it ought too or if it bounces around and what not...also there might be snow and ice stuck up there...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Probly not the struts since it sounds like something rolling around, my guess would be that there's something rolling around in the car...

No, the sound is like something rolling around, coming from the struts. I also hear other noises from the right rear strut over bumps at low speed.
    I miss my bugeye.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

It's very possible to have a strut go bad, especially if they are old. Age takes as much toll as miles on a wear item like that.

Also possible that at almost 10 years old, the top hat could be wearing out as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Italics is sarcasm font. Not very funny though...nevermind me.

My left rear strut blew at only 30k miles. I think the right rear has about 45k on it and is the original strut. The other 3 have somewhere around 50k-60k IIRC what the guy who sold them to me claimed. I found an 04 STi suspension with 60k on them and no clunk or noises that I'm thinking of buying since it's taking forever (and probably costly) to get my Bilstein coilovers rebuilt and the STi suspension seems to be more suitable for my driving (no commuting to work - 6k interstate driving every ski weekend and only around 2k in summer). I just don't know how much longer the STi suspension is good for (I got about 15k more out of the right front strut and my original rear right strut before these noises appeared).
    I miss my bugeye.

The 04 STI suspension is arguably the most prone to blowing. I'd not buy them, especially with 60k already on them? They are also older than your car. I'd spend the money on KYB OEM replacements or something if you are just waiting for Bilsteins to get rebuilt
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+1 for mikey. much less to mess with not having coil overs too
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

A couple of nights ago, I looked at both right struts with a flashlight and didn't see any leaking. I also did the bounce test on both struts and they seem ok. However, I can still hear some rolling/rattling sound from the right rear (even in neutral to eliminate any transmission noise).

I'm going to spray them down really well if I find time to wash my car on Sunday, then look more closely. I'll also examine the sway bars and end links. I assume I can't tell if the top hats are worn out without taking them off?
    I miss my bugeye.

Does it corner funny or is it showing any unusual tire wear from that corner? Wheel bearing maybe instead of strut...that is a easy check. Jack up the corner in question and shake the tire, no brakes applied if course. Course there should be no play at all. If it moves up-down at all that could cause a intermittent rolling sound if it isn't totally trashed yet.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

Hellow just need to ask if removing my catalytic convertor of the downpipe is good for horespower gain regardless of the emiisions and fuel consumption thanks is advance

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by joeyleb View Post
    Hellow just need to ask if removing my catalytic convertor of the downpipe is good for horespower gain regardless of the emiisions and fuel consumption thanks is advance

Aah...you should read the threads related to that. Because you could damage your motor badly by doing that wrong or not tuning. Like....splode. mods for move?
    Rob

2mrw i'm going to remove the resonator and the catalytic converter ..but wanna ask if its harmful to remove the catalytic convertor of the downpipe and put a holow pipe instead

Using Tapatalk

Without tuning yes. Remove the converters(turbo downpipe) and drive=blown motor. Please read in the engine and tuning threads for more.
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.