Stock 2011 WRX: Clunk when pulling into base of driveway?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock 2011 WRX: Clunk when pulling into base of driveway? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; One of several offenders, my work parking lot: Pulling into this parking lot every day at ~15mph causes the front ...

Question Stock 2011 WRX: Clunk when pulling into base of driveway?

One of several offenders, my work parking lot:

Pulling into this parking lot every day at ~15mph causes the front suspension to clunk/clank on the 2011 WRX. I only have 15k on it, bought it at 13k in near-mint condition.

During normal driving it's all perfectly silent, but driveways, speed bumps, and potholes seem to cause it to make noises my other subies have not.

I'm trying to figure out if it's the damper that's making the noise, or if it's perhaps lower quality strut tops, or spring noise?

My other subie is a 2000 with group N tops and konis and it's dead silent no matter what you throw at it. Even when I had coilovers on it, not a peep.

Is this just a 2011 thing? What part do I need to upgrade to make this go away?

Thanks,

-- Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It could be many things. Remove the wheels, get under the car and do a visual inspection. Check the endlinks, suspension bushings and ball joints (you can use a long flat heat screwdriver to check for play). Check the struts for leaks. Then check all the bolts (don't forget the top hats and strut shaft center nut).
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

Is it still under any warranty? Usually only blown struts or something like that would cause clunking over a bump.

But as above, check sways and endlinks as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Yeah, under warranty for another 15k miles or so... is it a 30, or 36k mile warranty? I forget.

36k full warranty (or 3 years from purchase)...drivetrain goes til 60k or 5 years I believe.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Hmm, the 3 year part might exclude me....

I was going to replace the dampers with Konis this year anyways, but if the springs or tophats are the issue, I want to know ahead of time so I could swap those as well.

If you're upgrading the struts, may as well do it all. I assume you want improved performance?

I want improved ride quality/adjustability more than anything... I think the spring rates and ride height are fine, don't really want to go lower in the 2011, as the front bumper already scrapes on curbs/etc when parking.

I have a 2000 RSTi for performance.

Quote Originally Posted by AcquaCow View Post
    I want improved ride quality/adjustability more than anything... I think the spring rates and ride height are fine, don't really want to go lower in the 2011, as the front bumper already scrapes on curbs/etc when parking.

I have a 2000 RSTi for performance.

Don't pull that far up onto the curb then

Pics of RSTi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Is it still under any warranty? Usually only blown struts or something like that would cause clunking over a bump.
    Loose endlinks are the most likely culprit. Endlinks should be tightened with the suspension at normal compression (not jacked up in the air). Just turn the wheel lock-to-lock and inspect each side. You might simply have a loose nut, or pre-mature endlink socket wear, in which case you'd be better off just getting pillow ball Kartboy links.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Loose endlinks are the most likely culprit. Endlinks should be tightened with the suspension at normal compression (not jacked up in the air). Just turn the wheel lock-to-lock and inspect each side. You might simply have a loose nut, or pre-mature endlink socket wear, in which case you'd be better off just getting pillow ball Kartboy links.
    I'll check the links... I have spares, but don't know if they fit the 2011, but they should.

Since when does Kartboy have pillow-ball endlinks? I don't think Tom does...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AcquaCow View Post
    I'll check the links... I have spares, but don't know if they fit the 2011, but they should.

Since when does Kartboy have pillow-ball endlinks? I don't think Tom does...
    Looking more closely, they might not actually be pillow ball joints, they just look like them.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd try to squeak into the dealership. See if they'll make it happen for you.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Driving more, it seems like it's just the damper setup... must not be much bump travel on these compared to my other subies.

Will have to Koni + D_Rex it I suppose...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.